East of Eden - December CC Book Club Selection

I haven’t looked up all these titles, but A Gentleman in Moscow is NOT something I want to read

Thanks for the input! As I’ve said before, I enjoy the selection process because it gives me lots of ideas about what to read during our off months.

I removed one veto (A Gentleman in Moscow) and one semi-veto (the Camus-Daoud duo—but just for February. I swear it shall reappear continuously until we get to it. Maybe April?). I’m also removing The Romanovs because 817 pages…’nuff said. List so far:

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead and Underground Airlines by Ben Winters (a duo)
The Mirror Thief by Martin Seay
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
The Gloaming by Melanie Finn
Moonglow by Michael Chabon
Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

I’ve been reading descriptions…there are some very interesting possibilities above.

With six titles, we could vote—unless you prefer to ponder a little more.

I am sorry the East of Eden discussion is over! I’m glad I got re-introduced to Steinbeck and I know some aspects of this book (the characters Lee and Cathy, the setting, the concept of timshel, etc) will stay with me.

My brain feels fat right now so I will defer the choice of book to the group!

Sending more healing vibes NJTM’s way.

Well, it ain’t over 'til it’s over. If you (or anyone else) has further thoughts on East of Eden, we’ll all be lurking, happy to discuss.

I’ll read whatever gets chosen.

(I just learned that info about the various choices can be a bad thing rather than a good one. How can I choose a book when cautions about violence and brutality abound and make me question whether I want to read anything deeper than Pollyanna? As you can tell, I’m having a moment here. Feel free to ignore me.)

And back to E of E for a moment: Where DID Cyrus get that money? And why did Adam and Charles react in the so-opposite ways they did?

I’m also fine with any choice of books.

My RL Book Club is reading “Commonwealth” by Ann Patchett for January and “Hillbilly Elegy” by J.D. Vance for February. The latter apparently is getting lots of buzz; people saying it helps explain why Trump got elected.

ignatius, I am going to have to read that part over. Since money=evil, you would think that the “good” son would shun it and the bad one would want it. But it may be more that Charles suspected evil in his father while Adam couldn’t see it and didn’t believe it to be true, much in the same way that he couldn’t see the evil in Cathy. Charles is afraid, on some level, of his evil side…shades of Cal.

I think that Cyrus stole the money. He wasn’t exactly a paragon of virtue. His whole career was built on a series of lies. I agree with @psychmom’s analysis of the brothers’ reactions. I would add that the Charles might be more upset when he discovers the truth because he had always had Cyrus up on a pedestal, craving the love of his godlike father. And Adam might be less inclined to care because, frankly, he’s exhausted. War, homelessness, prison chain gang, more homelessness, prison again…and then Charles hits him with the news about his father almost as soon as he walks in the door. Adam has a tendency in the novel to just let life wash over him and this is one more example.

@CBBBlinker, my husband just picked up Hillbilly Elegy when we were browsing in the bookstore. I had never heard of it, but he’d read some of the buzz you referred to. So now it’s on my to-read list, but I guess I’ll have to wait my turn. :slight_smile:

LOL, this could result in an interesting conundrum.

I’m unfamiliar with most of the options, even after reading reviews of each, I’m reluctant to weigh in. I’ve been abandoning too many books lately.
I know it helps you, Mary13, whittle down the list, when we offer opinions, perhaps others will help.

Right now, I’m reading a $2.99 kindle deal, because I liked the title, and so far it’s like watching a holiday Hallmark channel movie.
"My childhood Christmas- 1959 When Only the Strongest Kids Survived
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/my-childhood-christmas-rootie-simms/1122581113?ean=9781516901999&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP62465

1 Underground duo

2.The Gloaming 3. Homegoing

I like the analyses re Charles and Adam and Cyrus’ ill-begotten money. Thanks. I find the money trail interesting: Cyrus leaves it to his boys; Adam loses his portion in a business venture; Charles adds to his amount. Then Charles divides his money between Adam and Kate. Kate leaves her share to Aron. Now what? I assume that Cal gets it all as both Adam and Aron pass away. I don’t know how he’ll feel about getting the money, as he blames himself for the deaths. Still it would ease his way into Abra’s family - which in a way looks to be tainted money (Cyrus) meeting tainted money (Abra’s father). Ill-begotten money passes through multiple generations and multiple hands. This probably has some deep meaning (i.e., Steinbeck) but too deep for me at the moment.

I have Hillbilly Elegy on hold for me at the library. I’m not a huge nonfiction reader but this one caught my eye when it first came out and the buzz has only gotten stronger. I want to read Commonwealth.

And my vote for next book:

1. Underground duo (with reservations due to aforementioned reviews' trigger warnings (ha) but mainly because we need to jump on that train - or airline - now, rather than keep considering it)
  2. Any of the other books

(Actually what I want to read are Commonwealth and Hillbilly Elegy. I need to join @CBBBlinker at her RL book club.)

Okay, I reviewed the by-laws and section 37.2.a. states that any member who languishes in a hospital bed for over 72% of the discussion period has her vote counted six times in the next round.

Therefore, with an official vote of 7 in favor, 0 against, our February selection will be the duo of The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead and Underground Airlines by Ben Winters. I’ll start a new thread. Looking forward to tackling this pair!

Now…Whatcha reading in the interim? (Other than Commonwealth and Hillbilly Elegy :).)

Currently finishing: Crosstalk - Connie Willis

Just started: The Diviners - Libba Bray

Waiting to be picked up at the library: Turbo Twenty-Three - Janet Evanovich

I have 13 books (including the Underground duo) on request for me at the library but I can suspend holds till whenever. Most of my holds will appear scattered throughout Jan. and Feb. (i.e., Hillbilly Elegy). I also have a grouping of library books hanging around home that I can pull at whim: my library is quite lenient re return date. While that sounds like a good thing in theory, in actuality it allows books to accumulate - up to 70 books, yikes. Suspending holds - a fairly new feature - helps keep my count down.

Underground duo.

Edited to add. Ooops you’ve already chosen! But (bbviously) fine by me.

Thank you, Mary!! <3

My most recent read was Barkskins…

Terrific historical fiction, and about much more than just trees

Right now I am re-reading (skimming through) Stephen King’s Mercedes Killer and will finish the trilogy through the holidays (one way to get through)!

Hillbilly Elegy crossed my radar as well–I think that it will be next.

Getting back to E of E for a second, on post #140 Mary asks about Tom and his descent…sounds to me like he had Bipolar Disorder.

Wishing everyone a lovely holiday season!

Latest books
The Nix - abandoned ( not planning on finishing )
Gentleman In Moscow- will finish reading on kindle on upcoming trip, want to enjoy this one, and liked the chapters I read
A little Paris Bookshop- had to return library book will definitely finish reading on trip.

Have you been hearing about the microbiome, how important gut / brain connection is
Excellent book, and I’ve read about five in last month- This is best so far
The Microbiome Solution - A Radical New Way to Heal your Body from the inside Out, by gastroenterologist Robynne Chutkan

I read this and would not recommend
The Other Einstein- Marie Benedict

I also start d this one
The City Baker’s Guide to Country Living by Louise Miller ( just read kindle sample )

*** I think Hillbilly Elegy would be fascinating read, and good discussion book.It’s on my to be read list.

Happy Holidays to all…

@psychmom: I read King’s Bill Hodges trilogy, aka the Mercedes Killer trilogy. I liked it. You’ll be happy you skimmed through Mr. Mercedes again. I didn’t and wished I had. King refers back to it enough to mildly frustrate if you can no longer connect those dots.

Oh good–I am glad the refresher is not a waste of time. Once you know the darker parts, the writing becomes more amusing in a sicko-humorous kind of way. I am entertained. And you are right–the first book is called Mr. Mercedes, not the Mercedes Killer.