EC 110...Honors vs. Non-honors

<p>S is tweeking his schedule, and we both have a question regarding Econ 110…</p>

<p>S is a mechanical engineering major, but is interested in investigating a few business and/or accounting courses for a possible second minor. He has NEVER…I repeat…NEVER…taken any type of business econonics or business management class EVER. He is definitely a math/science kid, but did well in English 103 last year.</p>

<p>The best “fit” for EC 110 this semester is the honors section, taught by Kevin Pflum. The non-honors section would require a bit more jockeying of the current schedule, and this class is taught by Kent Zirlott.</p>

<p>While S is aware that the honors section will be significantly smaller (he took PY 105 this past Spring), he is concerned about his potential success in the class since he has absolutely no prior knowledge of economics. What does everyone think??? Anyone swayed by the professors listed???</p>

<p>A math-y kid would have zero problem with an economics class. I think having a smaller class would actually be a benefit for understanding concepts and asking questions.</p>

<p>Son had Pflum for Honors Micro Econ last fall…he was happy with him and the class…the funny thing is when we visited during son’s senior year in HS (Univ Days in Nov) we sat in on Dr Pflum’s class…small class 28-30ish students, interactive, and Dr Pflum was very interactive even with my HS son as he sat in the back row…Micro Econ is math based reality…your son will benefit from this class…for life even if he never takes another business class…but I would put in a plug for a LGS 200 evening class with a judge or attorney as well :)</p>

<p>I highly recommend that every college student takes an economics course to better understand how our economy operates and how people make decisions. You son could definitely take the honors section.</p>

<p>Taking an evening section of LGS 200 taught by a local judges or attorney is also highly recommended as many of the topics discussed deal with issues that students might face outside of school, such as divorce, contracts, eminent domain, etc.</p>

<p>S is signed up for Econ 110(Non-Honors) with Hoda El Karasky- how many will be in the class?my friend said her son was taking it at the CC this summer b/c she heard it was hard- her son is not good at math- My son is in Math 112 and taking Math 121 with this class next semester…making a B I think-he is also taking LGS 200 now…hopefully he will do fine- heard about free tutoring for this class maybe…</p>

<p>^Highjacking this thread, does anyone know how non-mathy kids fare in these classes? I’m pretty mediocre at math (650 math SAT, taking pre-calc senior year), but I want to major in something practical like business/finance (as well as poli sci). Is it going to be a year-long struggle, or is it fairly possible to pick up?</p>

<p>I can’t respond to H vs NH, but Zirlot has great Rate My Professor</p>

<p>650 on the math SAT is hardly mediocre. You’ll be fine with EC 110/111. If you don’t like math, though, you probably don’t want to be taking the more quantitative upper level econ classes, like Econometrics, for instance.</p>

<p>EC 110/111 doesn’t require lots of specialized math, so those who don’t enjoy math can still do very well in the class. What’s important is that one understands the concepts being taught. Quantitative skills become more important in later economics and finance courses, though there are courses which are more conceptual in nature.</p>

<p>When son first got interested in engineering, about six years ago, we started researching engineering curricula at different colleges, and in fact, many engineering programs required a course in economics. Your son is ahead of the game! In fact, many older engineers wind up in managerial roles, so it would definitely benefit your son. Good luck to him!</p>

<p>DD is taking Honors Micro now, is okay at math but doesn’t like math, and is doing great in Econ …</p>

<p>I don’t think the Honors is all that daunting for a dedicated kid.</p>

<p>good news- thanks!</p>

<p>S went today to class. I asked if he needs a book and the reply was I don’t know BC I couldn’t understand the teacher. Help!! I assume that he is exaggerating. He has El Karasky…</p>

<p>DD had El Karasky for Honors Micro and aced it… Many
ops for points other than the tests…</p>

<p>Try sitting front and center and see if that helps with communication…</p>

<p>Oh. And there is a loose leaf text that makes it easy to carry just the necessary chapter at hand.</p>

<p>I’ve never found Dr. El Karasky overly difficult to understand, but can see how some students may have difficulty. </p>

<p>In my experience, students who have difficulty understanding certain instructors are typically those with less experience interacting with people who typically have that type of accent.</p>

<p>whats the accent- texted him and said sit close and pay attention- I assume he will get used to the accent…</p>

<p>I think she’s Egyptian. My D just had her for EC 308 and never mentioned the accent, so I assume she had no issue with it. I just sent you a PM.</p>