ED/EA Miami University Ohio Fall 2023

If you are going to visit Miami be sure to take the time and visit the ‘Uptown’ area of Oxford which is literally next to the campus. It give you a feel for the area and you can see the options for when kids move off campus into houses are apartments. Lots of places to eat/drink and some shops.

Oxford is a classic college town.

1 Like

Are you in the accepted student Family Facebook group? It’s run by the admission office and has helpful info.

Search FB for: Miami University - Parents & Guardians of the Class of 2027

1 Like

Based on what I have learned in this process, a large portion of what goes into who gets aid is due to the parents ability to pay.

If the school believes you have the ability to contribute more to your child’s education (financially), then they will reduce the amount of merit aid given.

Let me add, however, that you can negotiate this. If you have other options that granted more merit aid, show this to them. Sometimes they will reconsider the aid.

That can’t be true bc I know several people who got the max of 34k and they are loaded.

1 Like

Ok, well when you say that those people are loaded, what do you mean?

For example, I make a very high salary, but I also have my own student loans. So when I completed the FAFSA and the CSS Profile on the College Board I mentioned this.

Some people are asset wealthy but don’t have a lot of free cash.

Finally, if the school thinks that your child is really only applying to the college as a “safety school” and will not actually enroll, it may wish to save that money for others who they feel are more likely to do so. Good example are children of alumni. For example, my son applied to my Alma mater and got a lot more money. It is a higher ranked school with a lower acceptance rate than Miami, and also OOS. Pretty certain they gave him the merit aid due to my affiliation.

Point is, a lot goes into it other than merely grades; wealth, income, familial relationships, likelihood of enrollment, geography, etc, all are included.

Again if your child really wants to go then I would just call the school and tell them that the only thing holding them back from accepting is the financial aid. If you don’t ask they cannot say yes.

Thanks yes, planning on asking. DD is interviewing today for more money. Depending on the outcome will ask. And yes, they may feel she might not attend due to very high stats.

1 Like

Good luck to you and your daughter.

My son and I visited on Friday and he fell in love with the school, so he is leaning toward attending. I plan on calling them next week and doing some “negotiating” myself.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Has anyone’s student received their financial package reflecting FAFSA? We accidentally left Miami off initially so we didn’t send until right after the priority date. Seems all the other schools already provided their financial aid package so I’m wondering if this is the reason.
I was reading above about merit vs ability to pay. I understand merit scholarships to be irrelevant of need. We also know well off families who’s kids got the $34,000 in aid so that’s why I assumed was based on stats. I think need aid would be provided in need based scholarship.

1 Like

It would probably be best to call admissions and see what they can look up for you.

1 Like

hey, just checking did your son receive his Honors decision yet ?

We got our honors decision on the 14th. My daughter didn’t get in, but she still got the Prodesse Scholars scholarship.

2 Likes

Does anyone know when the Governor’s scholarships are decided and notified?

If anyone here wants my honest opinion of Miami, I’m a current 2nd year student, and I’ve lived through it all here.

1 Like

Just putting down for posterity. My D23 continued to receive increases in her scholarship amounts closer to the May 1 deadline, the latest update on April 19. She is now closer to the scholarship amount that we expected her to get in the first place. It’s too late now, she’s already committed to UFlorida and is super happy about it. But I just wanted to let everyone know if that helps in the future

It appears Miami eliminated their Redhawk Excellence Scholarship and reduced automatic merit awards by roughly $10K for the upcoming Class of 2028.

I have a D21 and a D24 and was just beginning to update my chart with financials, etc and noticed this significant reduction in their newly published automatic merit chart. I assume this is a function of continuing to be test optional and thus having more students earning the auto merit based on GPA, but its really not a merit scholarship that should continue to garner the reputation they have for generous merit ($4K to the top in state students) unless I’m missing something…

Our D23 will be going to UF. Miami was a very close second

1 Like

That’s great! Miami was very bottom of the list for her, so the only way she would have considered is if she got the merit package we thought she would be getting. In the end, they did offer her a ton but it was too late in the game. Actually close to the top for her was University of Miami which is sadly, outrageously expensive, even with the large merit they gave.