ED1 vs ED2 strategies (Tulane, UMiami, SMU)

Thanks all. @tsbna44 — what is a non-binding application at SMU by September 30th. This is the first I have heard of this.

So - my daughter - we got on 100 college email lists - because at the beginning the list was that long (narrowed to 21 applications). So you “request info.” That’s when schools constantly send you stuff.

We actually set up an email address just for this…so college stuff only.

Schools will send you app fee waivers, etc. The admissions person at SMU hounded her - apply by September 30th, we waive the fee…no essays…that type of stuff. Like Tulane, another ruse to get more applications in.

Even WUSTL sent her a free app (didn’t apply) as did W&L (she did apply and get in).

Pitt is another. And U Chicago - if you fill out a FAFSA.

So you want to be on everyone’s email list if you have a scintilla of interest in them.

Thanks, another twist. I doubt my D would be motivated by a fee waiver, but she definitely would love to get out of essay writing!

It is test optional like every other school so they can take Many test optional students who have low GPA’s. Hence the ACT range went from 27-32 to 31-34 over the past few years. In this era, no one with a sub 31 or even 32 ACT would submit it to Tulane ED so there are ED full pay people who apply with bad gpa, test optional, but show a lot of interest and they get it.

Finally, Tulane EA and RD is interesting. They defer everyone EA who is either under or over qualified and the people in the middle get in if they show interest. Hence the 45% yield this past year.

1 Like

I don’t believe all schools are test optional for the 2022-23 applications.

Florida Publics not and I don’t think UGA is either. But most are and may even become so long term.

I’m torn on the essay stuff. I mean, you do the common app essay anyway - so it’s got to help - right. So I don’t like when schools say no essay or recs required…but they do.

Mom/Dad like the fee waivers. The other thing is - if you’re a merit chaser - and you probably aren’t…but if you are, you have 20 spots on the Common App - so why not take a flyer on a school that has no extra essays and gives you a waiver…or a no app school fee. I’m personally a believer in applying to more.

You may love Tulane…but at $80K a year, what if - just throwing out a school - U Denver was $40K a year - would that $160K difference change that mindset? Or an FSU $20K a year.

So i’m a believe in applying to more - especially if you can self report tests and it requires nothing more than 5 minutes.

1 Like

This certainly could be a topic for another thread…I will start it!

If someone attends a school that “almost 100%” of applicants get into SMU, and you can afford it, the experience at Tulane or Miami will far exceed that of Denver/FSU. Smart, Greek, small classes, personal interaction.

From someone whose kid is applying to SMU, I’m intrigued by the free app. Guess we need to sign up in multiple places. They may have a test score cut-off.

1 Like

Thanks @tristatecoog @tsbna44 and all.
Very helpful. As for the why not Denver — beautiful city but I don’t think our family does well with altitude.

Prior to being on this site, didn’t even realize merit aid could be an option, so we will look into that. Also this site has opened my eyes to the advantages of public universities with honor colleges - a whole new perspective for us. So while we are currently focused on our “first choices”, I would imagine the conversations with my kids will change, so thank you all!

Have you thought about hiring a college counselor?

Given that your D could likely get merit aid at Tulane, SMU, or UMiami if you play your cards correctly, It might be worth hiring someone who knows how to navigate the merit aid market.

1 Like

100% don’t get into Denver - and far less than half get into FSU.

I just picked them as price points though - Denver is actually a fair comparison but FSU is far too large. I should have subbed in UAH. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look at the early decision/early action acceptance rates vs RD at Tulane. They are available in CT Dataverse. Probably the widest discrepancy of any selective school… I perceive that Tulane maximizes getting the early kids with very generous merit aid and little or no financial aid, and makes RD virtually impossible, which tends to be populated by the financial aid applicants and would otherwise likely have much lower yield than the institutions with which they purport to be peers. Seems to me like a yield-focused strategy for prestige and also trying to build a medium term base of donors from upper middle class backgrounds and above.

Interesting read. Apps up 42% in 5 years. Acceptance rate down. And yield almost doubled.

This gentleman knows how to run a business - and that’s what college is. Some Fortune 500 will probably hire him to be a CMO.

Satyajit Dattagupta | Undergraduate Admission (tulane.edu)

3 Likes

Interesting. Thanks @ojllfdjalkjf @gablesdad @tsbna44. How does one approach merit aid. Is there an etiquette or procedure to follow if you’d like some information prior to making ED decisions? Is this something you can/should discuss with the admissions counselor.

You go on the net price calculator to determine cost. First step. Some colleges will tell you what you will get. Bradley and Hofstra. Tulane won’t. If you are going ED, assume none but hope you do get. They will tell you that you are eligible for up to $32k. But there is no guarantee.

I’m guessing there’s a Cc or other chain where you can get an idea. I didn’t see one but perhaps you can find.

In the end if you won’t qualify for need and you are relying on receiving a merit scholarship then you 100% should not apply ED.

How would a counselor “navigate the merit market”. This student can apply and see if he or she gets merit from these schools, none of which offer auto merit awards.

Agreed. People are trying to save $$. If one makes no effort then I can see the point. The OP is making the effort Abd will get lots of advice. So hiring a counselor adds to cost. And just bcuz someone claims they are expert…what proof do they have ?? Hiring a counselor is largely unnecessary unless you have zero clue and zero interest in learning how to navigate.

1 Like

Thanks. Just used the Net Price Calculator. Appreciate the tip @tsbna44 @gablesdad and others. What a great tool. I know it is an estimate but do you know if they might use weighted or only unweighted GPA.?

D went to a good public school where many of the courses were considered “honors” and then a more rigorous private school which was harder and nothing was considered “honors” and APs were quite restricted – not even available for English or History. So unweighted GPA doesn’t really tell the whole story but if Honors courses were given 0.5 extra it would make a big difference in terms of GPA and Merit $.

Which school? I’d tend to think weighted but I would call the school and ask. Also, how you weight is not necessarily how they weight. Most common is .5 for Honors and 1 for AP - but not everyone does that. Some schools, like Arizona, are 100% unweighted.

I would call and ask before you set up unrealistic expectations - just to be sure.