ED1 vs ED2 strategies (Tulane, UMiami, SMU)

Thanks. Was looking at the NPC for u Miami.

Based on a weighted because i did a 4.5 and got $21-$23K and a 3.5 and got $0. I used not applying for aid.

My daughter had a 4.5 and got $25K - and most everyone on the CC chatboard that got in got $25K with a few full I think.

I understand that all three look at unweighted GPAs. I saw that UMiami’s and Tulane’s average GPAs are ~3.6 and SMU says “unweighted 4.0 Scale – 3.44-3.93.” I know that SMU takes an applicant’s transcript and determines an unweighted GPA in core classes with no extra weighting for honors, etc. All three schools strongly consider the strength of the courses in light of the HS’s offerings and also consider the rigor of the HS. Like you mentioned, your private HS has a very high acceptance to SMU. There’s a good reason for that. They know your HS and know that its graduates are successful at SMU. The other universities surely know that too.

I suggest that you look at the Class of 2024 EA/ED strings on each of the school’s CC sites. You can read through the stats of the acceptances and denials and get a general sense of your daughter’s chances. If money isn’t an issue, and Tulane is the clear favorite, the best strategy is ED1 at Tulane and EA at Miami and SMU. You’ll get your Tulane decision on Dec. 15 and SMU decision in mid-December. Miami releases EA in late January to early February but may ask if you’d like to switch to ED 2 which has a January application date.

1 Like

Thanks. Makes a big difference!