Edgar Fellows Program

<p>Just wondering if anybody received any information regarding the Edgar Fellows Program? I meet the criteria and it looks like a great program. I noticed from past threads that we should receive the application soon after our acceptance letter, but I have yet to get anything. Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>my daughter also meets the criteria to be invited to apply and has not heard. hoping they are just a little later this year.</p>

<p>My son got a request to apply in today’s mail. Older son is a junior in the program but was invited to apply at the end of his freshman year.</p>

<p>I just got an invitation in the mail today. If I’m accepted to the program, geneseo will definitely move up on my list!</p>

<p>Congrats to you both!</p>

<p>I just got my invitation as well! I’m pretty sure I’ll at least apply, even though it isn’t my first choice.</p>

<p>Congrats to all of you, hopefully I hear back soon. Millie8, how does your son like the program? Is the workload demanding? Any info would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>I’m curious… Does anybody know about how many people they usually invite to apply to the program?</p>

<p>100 i think</p>

<p>I got invited today in the mail :)</p>

<p>I talked to an admissions counselor in the fall about this and she said that around 900 applicants usually qualify, and then about 600 kids are invited to apply. Of the 600 there’s a certain number, I don’t remember how many, that reply and then they accept about 100 kids. 20-30 kids usually accept the offer and end up in the program.</p>

<p>Hi, millie’s son here. I am a Junior at Geneseo and I am in the Edgar Fellows Program. I will try to answer some of your questions.
First, let me explain how the program. It is essentially a minor in liberal arts. There are five required courses. The first year you take The Nature of Inquiry, and Critical Reading. They are philosophy based courses that focus on the transition to college-level writing, and close reading analysis. After these initial courses, students in the program choose from a variety of engaging seminar courses. The classes are taught by the some of the best professors, and are usually a chance for the professor to explore a passion or specialty. I have taken ‘Cigarettes& Smoking in American Life,’ and I am currently enrolled in ‘Plagues, Epidemics and the Body Politic.’ Other courses offered include: Native American Cosmologies, Forensic Geology, Digital Humanities, and many other interesting courses.
There are other facets of the Geneseo experience that are different for Edgar Fellows. The biggest of these is that all freshman fellows live in Dante House. This college house is in the South Village, so you are with the majority of the other first years. First year international students are also housed in Dante house, as well as anyone who elects to live there. It provides a quieter, but very close-knit and engaged living experience. The Edgar Fellows are often the most involved and active students on campus.
The next thing to mention is the Capstone experience. This is a six credit directed study that is undertaken throughout Senior year. Each student works closely with one professor to develop what is essentially a Senior thesis on whatever subject they choose.
To speak briefly of my opinion of the program: I love the classes, and the other students are typically very hard-working. Classes involve very lively (and I mean lively,) discussion; this is augmented by the fact that almost every major is represented in the classes. I can’t speak to the Freshman experience in Dante House because I was offered the chance to apply, and was admitted at the end of Freshman year. That said I still had a really amazing year living in Niagara Hall and I imagine it was great to live in Dante House too!</p>

<p>I am home this week and I am happy to answer any other questions you may have about the program or anything at Geneseo! I’ll quickly tell you what else I am involved in: I am an English Lit major. A Brother of the National Fraternity of Alpha Chi Rho, a Lead Tour Guide, and an RA in a suite-style building. Ask away!</p>