Email: A Message to Freshman Applicants from President Yudof

<p>My sister got this email and she is freaking out. Did everyone get this or no?</p>

<p>“In the weeks ahead, you will be hearing from UC campuses regarding your application for admission. While you await this information, we want you to know about an opportunity to receive additional information from selected campuses. This year the University will continue an effort that has proved to be of interest to many of our applicants. While your application is being reviewed by the campuses you have applied to, other campuses within the UC system will be looking at your record, too. They may get in touch with you directly to tell you about degree programs they offer that could be a good fit, given the interests and talents you described in your application.
Don’t worry – this does not mean that you are not being considered by the UC campuses you chose. We just want to make sure that if we see an additional opportunity for you at another UC campus, you know about it and can make an informed decision about all of your UC options.”</p>

<p>I got it. I think it’s just general information for all applicants.</p>

<p>Thank you so much. My poor sister. She got the UCB supplemental for talent, did NOT get the alumni scholarship email, and now this. She’s a nervous wreck. My sister is applying as a freshman, and my brother is applying as a transfer right now. There is a lot of drama in our house this year!</p>

<p>:-/</p>

<p>They sent these out last year as well. The general thought is that you might hear from a less-impacted campus (ie. UCR or UCM) even though you didn’t apply there.</p>

<p>^ That’s actually kind of cool. It saves you $120 in application fees for safeties.</p>

<p>It’s a way to get folks to think about Merced…</p>

<p>I got pretty nervous when I saw this email…</p>

<p>I did not get this email, and I consider myself a top tier applicant.</p>

<p>^uh oh, not good</p>

<p>I didn’t get one. Probably because I was scared and applied everywhere, now I wish I at least saved $60-$120. -_-</p>

<p>hah I got it I was like DAMMIT when I saw “We just want to make sure that if we see an additional opportunity for you at another UC campus,” LOL!</p>

<p>My son did not get this email. He is a “middle of the road” applicant and applied to UCSD, UCSB, and UCI. Not sure if that email means anything or not…</p>

<p>My S received the email and is a top tier applicant … plus, since he’s ELC, he added UCSB. However, he’s only interested in their College of Creative Studies. The good news for him is that a CCS physics prof and biochem prof called/emailed him, saying he’s a likely in and invited him to come visit. He wants to hold off on the visit until later in the spring, when he’s heard from some OOS privates … and USC.</p>

<p>Here is the official line from the rulers in UCOP:</p>

<p>[University</a> of California - UC Newsroom | UC to cut fewer freshmen from fall 2010 enrollment](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/22703]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/22703)</p>

<p>^ Am I reading that right? They already know who’s on their waiting lists?</p>

<p>I didn’t get the email until this morning, probably everyone gets it.</p>

<p>I did not get this email…</p>

<p>That thread is from last year.</p>

<p>horsesrock… my son got the supplement for talent from UCB last year and got in for Undeclared Engineering… It’s not the kiss of death. Tell her to hang in there and good luck! :-)</p>

<p>do you think they’ll send a similar e-mail out this year?</p>