Emerson Theatre and Performance and Advice on theatre colleges

Hi, I recently got into the Emerson Theatre and Performance Program. I want to know if there is anyone here who knows more about the program. How they enjoy it and what they dislike about it. Is any advice? I’m having a hard time because I also got into Loyola Marymount, Elon and Muhlenberg. I want some help in deciding what’s the better option. Or if anyone got into those schools Theatre/Acting Programs . Thank you!

1 Like

We have a friend at Emerson who loves it. I don’t know much about the details. (Not sure why DD didn’t consider it). My DD was accepted to Muhlenberg and will be at the Through the Red Doors. Are you going? She interviewed with the theatre chair and was very impressed. Maybe she’ll see you there!

My daughter graduated with a Theater degree from LMU. Note that that one is a BA, and Elon (my son attends there, not a theater major) is a BFA. Elon BFA is very highly regarded. LMU less so, mostly because it’s not a BFA. Which type of degree/program do you want? My daughter specifically chose BA programs over BFAs because she wanted flexibility (and she picked up a double major, and also minored in Screenwriting…this couldn’t be done in a BFA program). Anyway, both kids each loved their chosen schools, LMU and Elon, very happy with both. My daughter had great mentors in the Theater Dept at LMU. Anyway I think you should definitely put thought into whether you want a BA or BFA…there is even an easy quiz if you search it.

1 Like

Yes, mine too. She wanted strong academic schools that have great theatre programs on a BA basis so she can double major. In at Muhlenberg w/ great scholarships (they have academic and theatre scholarships). Waiting on Northwestern, Middlebury, Brown, Dartmouth, Wiliams, Vassar and Middlebury – all BA programs w/ great faculty and showcase potential/industry.

First time posting after long time lurking! My theatre daughter and I will be Through the Red Doors also, coming in from NC. Did you join the ‘Muhlenberg Parents of Admitted Students’ FB page? I’ve found that helpful and the community really welcoming.

2 Likes

I have not! I am not surprised it is welcoming. Everything there seems to be welcoming! See you in April!

2 Likes

Where did your daughter end up? Hope she’s loving it. My daughter basically has the exact same list for this year.

Only just seeing this! She got into Brown, Northwestern, Dartmouth, Vassar, Wesleyan, UMD and Muhlenberg. And, she chose Brown! I think it was a great choice, even though they all would have been great places for her to thrive. She was down to NU and Brown, but NU’s music school restricts access to nonmajors, and she’s also a violinist and composer. She’s taking Acting, Music Theory, Abstract Algebra and a Music and War Seminar. Feeding all the interests!

1 Like