Engineering then MBA?

<p>I’m sorry if this is a bizarre question… I was wondering if I chose to major in engineering at the University of Alabama, would I be able to pursue an MBA after if I had a change if heart? Is this at all possible?</p>

<p>Yes you can. Bama also has a 5 year program where you can graduate with an undergraduate degree in Engineering and a MBA. It’s a special program where you take some business classes at the same time.</p>

<p>My son’s roommate is following this path.</p>

<p>Fantastic! Thank you so much! I’m really excited about having that option</p>

<p>Edit:Will the Bama scholarship expire though?</p>

<p>The Bama scholarship only covers the first 4 years. However, my son’s roommate is also doing a co-op. He plans on using the funds from the co-op to pay his 5th year of tuition and graduate with his MBA.</p>

<p>It is an option you could look into.</p>

<p>Damond3, Here is an article about the STEM path to an MBA at Bama</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama News STEM Path to MBA Offers Top Students Shorter Degree Path](<a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/2011/08/stem-path-to-mba-offers-top-students-shorter-degree-path/]University”>http://uanews.ua.edu/2011/08/stem-path-to-mba-offers-top-students-shorter-degree-path/)</p>

<p>If this is something you are interested in and it is influencing your decision to attend Alabama, I would encourage you to call the department and talk to someone about all your options as far as scholarship money, co-op, etc.</p>

<p>Damond, are you coming in with many AP or dual credits?</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>My husband has a BSEE and MS in Eng. Management. His experience is that an engineering masters is far more beneficial than an MBA. That being said we know several Eng’s that opted for an MBA.</p>

<p>if you come in with enough AP credits, you might be able to get it all done in four or 4 1/2 years.</p>

<p>M2CK is right and if you get get your MBA with your scholarship that would be different, than you could always follow with a MS in Engineering later if you chose.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the info! I should have ~5 AP classes that I passed</p>

<p>Take a couple of classes in the summer(s) at a CC and you might get it down to 4 yrs.</p>

<p>Look into what the program requires. Xcitfan’s fan is in the program. He may be able to give you more insight. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Hi all,
Yes, as vlines said, my freshman son is in the STEM/MBA program and loves everything about it. And, knock on wood, he may be able to get it all done in four years thanks to the University’s generous policy regarding incoming AP credits. I will be glad to answer any questions. Roll Tide.
Regards,
xcitfan</p>

<p>xcitfan - When we visited, the student we talked to threw out the idea of doing University Scholars as well as the STEM MBA program, with the result that the student would end up with a bachelor’s, a master’s and an MBA. I’m not even sure if something like that would be necessary for computer science, but do you think it would be doable? Probably not in four years though, although my son should have 60+ AP credits I think. I think he definitely will want to do one or the other at least, so we would need to try to determine whether a master’s or an MBA is more valuable for whatever career he wants to pursue (once he figures that out! He hasn’t gotten any further than CS so far).</p>

<p>Thanks for any insight!</p>

<p>Lisa, it sounds “doable” but college should also be about more than just spending time in labs and libraries. The 60+ AP credits will help (my son came in with 42) but your son will undoubtedly want to explore different classes as he learns more about himself. Anyway, the main thing is that UA will give your son unlimited opportunities to maximize his potential coming out of school.</p>

<p>Lisa, it goes without saying, but I will say it anyway :slight_smile:
Many of the courses at UA just plain difficult, so your son will need to bring his A game from day one. This is a process we are working through ourselves.</p>

<p>I hear you! Especially in a major like CS. He knows the courses will be difficult, and hopefully he is prepared for that. He’s a hard worker and very organized, so I’m hoping he will be fine. His first decision will probably be whether to use all of his AP credit or retake some of the classes. When it gets a bit closer to Bama Bound we will explore that issue further.</p>

<p>Yes, it is good to have time to explore various college activities, expand your horizons, make friends and have a well rounded college experience.</p>

<p>While it’s certainly possible to get a BS, MS, and MBA at the same time, I’m not so sure that it’s the best idea. Part of the reason that the STEM MBA program was not extended to business majors is that prestige of the MBA program and work experience are highly valued in the corporate world. In many STEM fields, it’s more important that one has an MBA rather than where the MBA came from, provided that the Business School is accredited, as UA has been for many decades. There is also the issue of being considered overqualified for certain entry level positions.</p>

<p>I’m a big proponent of getting core classes and even some major classes done either ahead of time or during the summer at other schools to save money and provide more time to take higher level classes at UA. It also provides students the opportunity to experience college life at other schools. I’m glad that I’ve had the opportunity to take classes at three other schools, two being community colleges and the third being the flagship university of a large, rural western state.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m not sure I understand what you mean here. Are you saying that the MBA is more valuable than the master’s if one was to do one or the other? I’m not sure what that has to do with business majors, though.</p>

<p>If he does decide to do all three degrees, I would think he would take 5 years. I want him to be able to take some other classes too! And his scholarships will save us enough over the four years that paying for the fifth year shouldn’t be a problem. As far as meeting core requirements ahead of time, I think he should have the majority of those met through AP credits (although it is very confusing, will need to confirm that).</p>