Stem mba

<p>Would someone explain what the STEM MBA program is? I’m pretty clueless when it comes to the whole major thing. I am planning on majoring in business and then applying elsewhere for graduate school.</p>

<p>Tommy: My D is a freshman engineering student this year. Just before she started, she was offered the opportunity to start her STEM MBA. It is a new program with approx 46 students. They take an MBA class every semester. Currently it’s a 1.5 hour credit and there are 2 classes of 24 students. At the end of 4 years the student will have 12 hours to apply towards the STEM MBA. Then they enroll for a solid year to complete the MBA process. </p>

<p>Here’s an article from UA.
[University</a> of Alabama News STEM Path to MBA Offers Top Students Shorter Degree Path](<a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/2011/08/stem-path-to-mba-offers-top-students-shorter-degree-path/]University”>http://uanews.ua.edu/2011/08/stem-path-to-mba-offers-top-students-shorter-degree-path/)</p>

<p>I don’t think the STEM MBA program is for business majors is it??? Appears to be a good program though, S also freshman engineering major in this program.</p>

<p>Currently, the STEM MBA program is not available to business majors even though one can make an argument that quantitative finance and economics, among other business majors, are indeed STEM majors. </p>

<p>For business majors, UA really pushes the University Scholars program, which allows one to earn a master’s degree at the same time as ones bachelor’s degree, which only takes 4 years compared to 5 for the STEM MBA program. I’m getting a master’s degree in applied economics with a certificate in data mining and highly recommend the program. I also know people who are getting master’s degrees in finance, statistics, accounting, and engineering. Undergraduate scholarships cover graduate classes if one is a university scholar, so many university scholars end up getting a master’s degree for the cost of course fees.</p>

<p>My DS is doing the University Scholars program for the masters in finance.</p>

<p>At what point does one begin the University Scholars program? Can anyone do it or is it selective?</p>

<p>(My son will be a computer science major and likely more interested in a Masters in Comp. Sci than an MBA.)</p>

<p>I’d be interested to look into the University Scholars program. Are there any requirements and how would I go about applying to it?</p>

<p>Students traditionally start University Scholars during their senior year, but many students, including myself, started the program during our junior year. In my department, one needs to verbally declare their intention to be a University Scholar, have a 3.7 GPA, get a good score on the GRE/GMAT math+verbal, and fill out a graduate application (no fee for the application). The application is more of a formality assuming that one has high enough test scores (eg my department wants to see a 675 on the GMAT, IIRC). Some departments don’t require test scores and have lower GPA requirements.</p>

<p>Some departments have a lot of University Scholars, while others do not. Finance and Economics each have 10-20 University Scholars. </p>

<p>Once at UA, you’ll notice the other top students in your classes and will likely see them in your graduate courses. It’s like a small Honors College where you know everyone.</p>

<p>I guess my DS isn’t official in the US program but is being advised by Dr. Helms on what he needs to get there officially for next year. He is currently a sophomore(with junior classification). Dr. Helms has him taking Calc III in the spring semester and then GMATs and he should be official (if all goes well)! There are certain classes to take as a freshman and sophomore that will help in being ready to jump into the program. Dr. Helms for finance has been extremely helpful to my DS. If you are a business major, I would recommend speaking with him.</p>

<p>Students traditionally start University Scholars during their senior year,</p>

<p>I don’t know if that’s true or not. </p>

<p>If you come in with a lot of AP or dual credits, you can easily start your junior year. The process to get in isn’t tough…you just meet with your advisor, s/he goes over your grades (good grades required) and you submit some paperwork…sometimes you have to take the GRE or GMAT (minimum scores req’d). </p>

<p>The mistake some kids make is that they think that they need to be officially invited. You don’t have to wait for some kind of invite or notification…just speak to your advisor about it.</p>

<p>A lot of students did not have the required prerequisites completed until the start of their senior year. With so many students coming in with lots of AP and dual enrollment credits, more are starting during their junior year.</p>

<p>Students might think that they need to formally be invited to the program as that’s what used to be written in the brochure. In reality, a student interested in University Scholars can simply tell a department chair or major advisor that they want to be in the program. </p>

<p>Dr. Helms is a great person to speak with for students intending on doing University Scholars in finance or economics. The suggested preparation includes courses not required for the bachelor’s degree, so University Scholars is something that should be planned well in advance, if possible.</p>

<p>Sea-Tide is correct (of course)! My DS just gave me 3 courses he has to take that are NOT required in the finance major. He will be taking one of them in the spring. As I said earlier he is a sophomore, so it’s good to start planning EARLY if you are bringing in alot of AP credits. Dr Helms gave him the list.</p>