STEM to MBA? Double Major? Major/Minor? University Scholars? Emerging Scholars?

There are so many programs and options to choose from I’m not sure what to do. I will have about 24 transfer credits from dual enrollment and 27 AP credits when I start class in the fall. Since I have the presidential scholarship, I figure I ought to use the 4 years of paid tuition to double major, or to get a graduate degree. My current plan is to for sure major in computer science with a concentration in software engineering. My hope is to someday land a career in game development, preferably overseeing a large portion of the design and direction of a game, but I recognize it’s a competitive industry, so I want to keep my options open.

I will need to work on developing games in my free time so that I can develop a portfolio, so I don’t want to be strained for time. I still want to be able to make friends and join clubs and sports while not feeling anxious. Research and internships are also important, so obviously there is a lot to balance here.

Can the STEM to MBA program be modified for four years and are there any scholarships for the program? Is a double major really a good idea, and if so, what would go good with my plans? The University Scholars program is interesting too. Keep in mind I don’t want to become a stress monster, that I want to be flexible with my career, but I have a strong desire to develop games. What do you think I should do?

Oh yeah I’m in the honors college, and I didn’t apply for the CBHP

In your situation, it might be more beneficial to earn an MBA after you have a couple years of work experience. MBAs aren’t as common in tech companies as they are in other industries. A master’s degree in CS could be a great option.

Since you’re already working on projects, remember to keep your LinkedIn and Github profiles updated with your current projects and go to meetups when you’re in larger cities (I’m not sure if Tuscaloosa has many such meetups). Networking is key.

<<<
My current plan is to for sure major in computer science with a concentration in software engineering.

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

the STEM to MBA sounds good. Do your APs cover all of your GenEds? If not, try to get those done over summers either at a local CC or online. this will save space in your 8 semesters of scholarship.

What APs do you have?

If possible, do the Emerging Scholars and the STEM to MBA.

Agree with @mom2collegekids about doing emerging scholars and STEM MBA.

My DD is in the STEM MBA and was not interested in emerging scholars. The STEM MBA is set up so that one takes 1.5 hours (so essentially half a MBA class) each semester for 4 years, and then does SU, FA, SP, SU and completes the program. Dr. Robert Morgan who runs the STEM MBA program could indicate if there is a way to accelerate, but I would not recommend. You want to concentrate on your CS/software engineering curriculum and the STEM MBA courses give you enough of a taste of the business world. If you do want to go the graduate route after UG, you may be able to double with your engineering/CS. DD is looking at how she may want to do that with civil eng (her area of study).

You can look for internship and possibly co-op once you get going on curriculum of substance for the job market.

My son is a third year student at Alabama. He is double-majoring in CS and Math (many do as its just a few more classes) and in the University Scholars program to get his graduate degree in CS. He also has a software engineering emphasis. He came to UA with 45 credits, and plans to graduate with all this in December, although he is not 100% sure he can finish the software engineering emphasis as the class he needs is not offered but he was planning to talk to the Dean to see if he could self study this class. If he can’t, this would not delay is graduation although with his 4 year scholarship, I have urged him to stay and take more “fun classes”. He said he had a hard time filling up his schedule for next semester and unless he needs a class he isn’t aware of right now, he is ready to move on.

My son did NOT participate in any other program (he wasn’t interested in the STEM to MBA as he really doesn’t want to supervise, although this would be helpful for running his own future business), and, unlike you, wasn’t interested in research. His ECs were exactly what he wanted to do but most viewing them would not say he was very well rounded (mostly involved in CS activities, math clubs etc.) and he did take 18-22 credits every semester but his first. He did not work at school, but had a nice internship last summer, and has a wonderful CA internship this summer. Just letting you know his experience to maybe help you decide what to do.

I love that you want to do research. Definitely look into Emerging Scholars. I know of another CS student who has shined at research, and has had professors get to know him (and help him) because of his involvement. Getting your graduate degree through the University Scholars program in CS is a good option. Remember though in the CS industry, this really doesn’t count for a whole lot (maybe $10,000 more to a starting salary) and many people discount the degree if you get it from the same school as your undergraduate degree. For my son it didn’t make sense NOT to take the classes as I don’t think many CS students go back to get their grad. degree unless they want to go on to their PHD and teach, or if they want to specialize, or get their MBA. As a CS student, those side projects are important to the industry when hiring so keep on working on them. My student didn’t do this, but there is a entrepreneur contest held at UA in Fall and Spring that would be good to get involved in (I believe that one group just one for an app. they created), and there are competitions in EE and CS which can be fun. My son did love the football season and everything it entailed, so if you like it make sure you make time for this in your schedule too.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck at Alabama, and roll tide!

Also there is a CS program called 100P which has a few CS classes taken with the professor in a very small group setting (2-5 students I think). It is something you must start in your freshman year. I don’t know much about it, but I thought I would pass this information on if it is something that appeals to you.

I wouldn’t be so concerned about starting salary being marginally more - it is after a couple years with a company and the Master’s - a Master’s in technical field or MBA definitely gives a go-getter the chance to go the next level.

Many times students have a hard time going back to school after they finish UG. It doesn’t hurt to continue classes, even if it is working FT somewhere and has some courses to boot from UA.

@kjcphmom Congratulations to your son!

UA will occasionally encourage students to start a full time job during their final semester at UA and complete the remaining class(es) online or via consultation with the instructors. It’s definitely a benefit to have a full time job at graduation. California is also a great place to start ones CS career, especially if he only plans to stay with a company for a couple years.

University Scholars does not need to be decided this early.

I encourage STEM MBA and Emerging Scholars. Both will provide different experiences in networking and presentation skills.

Emerging Scholars the first semester is not very time consuming (1 credit). The second semester is as tough as you make it depending on the research area (which does not need to be in your major field). It also comes with a small stipend!

STEM MBA can open a student’s eyes up to various fields they have not considered before. Applying and beginning the STEM MBA does not commit you to completing the MBA. Students do drop it, especially if the major changes. IMHO, few strong high school academic students are encouraged to learn business and instead are guided to science courses and higher math. If this was your experience, give STEM MBA a chance just to get a broad background in business and see the work involved in a start-up.

The STEM Path to the MBA can be completed in 4 years as opposed to 5, but with only the Presidential Scholarship, you will need to cover the costs of the two summer semesters another way. There are scholarships available to cover the MBA portion of the program and are offered to the strongest applicants.