EnGR 103

<p>So since I am gonna major in ChemE, I have to take Engr 103.</p>

<p>Who’s the best teacher? Are engineering teachers as boring as physics teachers(don’t get me wrong…I just heard that many physics teachers don’t teach well, so I wondered if it’s same for ChemE) </p>

<p>What do you learn in this class?</p>

<p>and, what is the best book for reference?</p>

<p>Paul, search for a thread call ENGR 103 as there has been some long discussions about this class. From what I have read, this is not an easy class. Some posters might be able to chime in on the best teacher (or the one to avoid) but since many of the classes are already filled, I don’t know if you have the luxury of “choosing” a teacher. I would concentrate in getting the class in an available time slot as it is a 3 credit class. Also you will have to take a intro Chem class (I believe 1 credit).</p>

<p>Paul,
I’m currently taking this class over the summer and it is easy to fail. I don’t think it’s nearly as hard as people make it seem. I know quite a few people fail and have to retake it. It is a weed out class so people will fail. If you’ve taken any math classes beyond AP calculus BC it will be a review. I got a B- on my first test but now I have 100 class. I love my professor Bridgette monk. She is super cool. However they don’t post professors until everyone has registered for classes so you Don’t get to pick. </p>

<p>Actually, for ChemE majors (BS in CHBE) the requirement to take ENGR 103 is dependent upon your starting MATH class. For those students starting with MATH 227 (Calc 3) you may either choose to take ENGR 103 or you can substitute those hours in your degree plan with an advanced CHE, ENGR or other advanced science class at some point. You can read this on the CHBE flowchart for those students beginning in MATH 227 or later at
<a href=“http://che.eng.ua.edu/files/2013/09/MA-227-Start-ChBE-Flow-Chart-2013.pdf”>http://che.eng.ua.edu/files/2013/09/MA-227-Start-ChBE-Flow-Chart-2013.pdf&lt;/a&gt; . </p>

<p>Regarding CHE 125, Intro to Chem E, that is also not always a required course but I imagine it would be very helpful in terms of learning more about the major and its application after college. S had quite a bit of Computer Science credit from AP coming into UA and one of those credits (an intro CS 1 hour credit) filled in for his CHE 125. He would have enjoyed taking CHE 125, but all sections are filled. </p>

<p>Anyone considering this option should be quite confident in their Math/Chem/Physics skills. </p>

<p>Note: This is current for students entering under the 2014-2015 catalog but if entering under a different year, be sure to check your own catalog in case degree requirements have changed and ALWAYS verify with your advisor within CHBE. Also, I do not know if any other majors within the College of Engineering are allowed these alternatives, my post only reflects CHBE info.</p>

<p>oops</p>

<p>^^^ Sorry about that!</p>

<p>Have received conflicting information from UA advising regarding the Chem E freshman’s ability to “opt out” of ENGR 103, but, according to the department, the flowchart remains valid: incoming Chem E students with advanced math are encouraged to skip ENGR 103 and replace the three hours with an advanced elective in a later year.</p>

<p>@paul2752 - DS had LeClair for PH125 in the spring. He is one of the best instructors! And the class had many hands on “fun” labs.</p>

<p>ENGR 103 was not easy last year, but it was also the first year taught. Many upper classmen gave DS the impression it would be a cake walk because it replaced multipl 1 credit courses which as a stand alone were easy. My son worked hard in ENGR 103, but IMHO starting with the attitude it would be easy was part of his problem. Just plan on dedicating a good deal amount of work outside the class time.</p>

<p>Nothing wrong with taking the class Spring if you want to wet your feet with other courses first. ENGR 103 not only has a good deal of Physics, it requires a good deal of skill to work in groups in and out of class. </p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>thanks all! According to my degreeworks, I have AP Calc BC and AB credit, so I will take Calc III. </p>

<p>For Chem 125, seems like I HAVE to take it; it’s in my degreeworks and says “intro to Chem E”.</p>

<p>I will look for ENGR 103 thread to see if there are more stuff I need to know. Thank you so much :-)</p>

<p>I hope it’s nothing like making a truss or something…</p>

<p>CBE 125 is being offered both fall and spring terms, so you don’t have to do it immediately. You can also substitute ENGR 111 for CBE 125, even though it may not say that in the flowchart.</p>

<p>Paul - have you already attended a Bama Bound orientation session? The engineering college visitt there had 3 different students, each having started at a different math level. One of them began with Calc III and was a good source of pros/cons of choosing that path. </p>

<p>Nope, I m going the last one on 14th.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Does this apply to other Engr (mech/elect/materials,etc) freshmans who are eligible to start at calc 3?</p>

<p>Also i think the last BB is on 15th for frehsman</p>

<p>That’s good, Paul, as you can talk in person with the engineering students who speak about their entry points for freshman math courses. </p>

<p>xscreenname, ChemE is the only degree plan that I’m sure of in terms of the exception to ENGR 103. </p>

<p>As a rising sophomore this year who attempted ENGR 103 not only once but twice and withdrew BOTH times, I can say that it is not an easy course overall. The homework assignments are not altogether too difficult but they are time consuming and the grading is STEEP. Almost every assignment is graded on a scale of 1-10 with minor mistakes or wrong answers being worth 1 whole point or 10 out of 100. Errors and mistakes cost you GREATLY in this course. My first semester taking it, I was also told it would be easy by many upperclassmen, I found assignments to be interesting and thought provoking on many occasions but way too time consuming. A homework assignment could take up to 3 hours at most to complete and for a class that meets 3 times a week and has homework assigned almost every class meeting date, This can be a bit much. Especially if you factor in the other courses you are taking. I had an ambitious workload first semester, taking Chemistry, English, Math, ENGR 103, and an entry level Chem E course. Engineering 103 just was too much for me to handle on top of everything else so I withdrew near mid-semester. My second time taking it, I had a family emergency that forced me to miss a class in which a take home quiz was due, I had pulled an all-nighter the night before and had really done some of my best work in the class. I emailed my professor letting her know why I missed class (not even 5 minutes after class ended) and asking if I could scan my take-home quiz in to give to her. She told me that if I could make it to her office before she left…in 30 mins from the time I emailed her, that she would accept it. I was in no position to make it to her office hours. Therefore I had to take a zero on a quiz, that I had worked very hard on. The course drops your lowest 2 grades but I was saving them for harder quizzes and test and although I had a B average at this point, I really was beginning to feel like this course was not very well planned or thought out. The book itself is actually a mesh up of multiple engineering books into one and the concepts move quickly for an introductory class. They tell you its possible to take it and do well if you take calculus at the same time, but as someone who took calculus before college I know that it would have been extremely difficult had I never been introduced to some concepts before the course began. Needless to say I dropped the course again, and have even discussed with my advisor my concerns about the course. It is really terrible. I have seen students that try and consistently do all their work average a D+ or C- on many occassions in this course. </p>

<p>Thanks for sharing that - it’s often hard to open up about situations that weren’t successful. I’ve heard of several others that were in similar situations in regard to this class.</p>

<p>@JacobiJanel‌ thanks for sharing the experience.</p>

<p>I see some comments that I may be able to get out of ENGR 103,…I will ask the school tomorrow and tell you guys what happens.</p>

<p>No problem, I don’t mind sharing my hardships as long as its helping someone. </p>

<p>The school must be using the class has a heavy weeder class. </p>

<p>Not referencing Jacobi, who may find that the 3rd time is the charm, but not every smart person can be an engineer. You have to have an “engineering mind”. My older son learned that quickly and changed to math…his strong suit. My younger son can more “think outside the box” to find creative and elegant solutions was much better suited for engineering. </p>