Etiquette of Adding a Class?

<p>I recently added small history class I had been wanting to take when a someone dropped and a spot opened up. However, I missed the first class day (the syllabus said it would just be going over the syllabus). Any tips on how to politely add this class? Should I email the professor or approach him before or after class? Also, will missing the first day count against me in attendence?</p>

<p>this happens all the time. i would probably just ask someone else in the class what you missed.</p>

<p>My preference has been to visit the professor in their office to introduce myself and ask some general questions about the course. You are welcome to just add the course and show up, but meeting the professor beforehand makes things easier.</p>

<p>Yes, I would visit or email the prof.</p>

<p>Asking a student only works best if you happen to ask a student who truly remembers to tell you every important thing that got mentioned. It’s not unusual for a student to forget some small, but important detail.</p>

<p>My son got “bit” by this. He added a Spanish class after classes started. He asked a student what he missed. The student told him a few things, but forgot to tell him about one important thing.</p>