Expectations for student attire at special events

<p>While there are many here with students getting ready to leave for college and many of us who already have students there, I thought this might be helpful in planning for those extra clothing items they will need. I know my D has several events this week and for Honors Week next week and has had several occasions while on campus that list specific types of dress.</p>

<p>Mom2collegekids, care to explain the difference for future reference for both parents and students? Parents of incoming freshmen might not think about these things, but they are not always easy to locate at the last minute. I think some clarity would help everyone in planning and packing. Could you address this for both female and male students? Business formal is pretty self explanatory, but business casual/business informal seems a bit trickier. Are they the same or different?</p>

<p>Business informal/business casual</p>

<p>Business formal</p>

<p>I think girls have it a bit easier with the business casual/business formal issues. In such cases, a girl can wear a nice pants outfit or a more casual business dress. </p>

<p>When girls need to dress business formal, I would think a skirt/suit or a business dress and appropriate shoes would work. </p>

<p>For girls, sometimes the assessories or even adding a blazer can dress up an outfit. Just adding a blazer can make an outfit look more business-like. and, adding more funky assessories can dress-down an outfit. </p>

<p>For boys, it’s a different matter…</p>

<p>Business formal = suit and tie…period.</p>

<p>Business casual/informal can mean dress pants and a blazer or (new-looking) khakis and a very nice/new polo…all with good POLISHED UNSCUFFED shoes (no sneakers!). </p>

<p>The newness/crispness of the fabrics tend to define whether they’re “nice enough”. If the clothes have been laundered a million times, then they just aren’t nice enough anymore.</p>

<p>Maybe you only meant this for more formal events but… they may want to dress up for the “Quidditch on the Quad” next year. The students may want a Halloween costume. My D is in a dancing club so she likes to wear “swingy” skirts and comfortable shoes. You can wear anything though. There are dances on campus. There will be a masquerade dance soon so a mask would be handy.</p>

<p>How fun! A dancing club! </p>

<p>Do they do Swing?</p>

<p>I can’t emphasize enough how important my son’s navy blue suit and navy blue blazer have been to him at UA (I’m not saying this will necessarily apply to everyone). 'Bama has taught him how to dress appropriately and confidently for virtually any situation.</p>

<p>He arrived at UA as a guy who could be sartorially challenged when needing to wear anything more formal than board shorts, a T-shirt, and flip flops (rubbah slippahs, as we call them in the islands). Now he’s a guy who chose to wear a bonafide bow tie (not the clip-on type) to his fraternity formal in NOLA a few weeks ago. When I asked him where in the world he learned to tie a bow tie, he mustered all the forbearance he could summon and said, “Duh-uh! YouTube, Dad.”</p>

<p>Cuttlefish - Any suggestions are welcome for all events.</p>

<p>Malani - That is hilarious!</p>

<p>Yes! Both of my boys use Youtube to remind them how to tie ties. :)</p>

<p>For boys, they need…</p>

<p>couple of dress shirts…at least one white one (long sleeves!! They’re not bible salesmen)
couple of non-dress shirts, but nicer long sleeve shirts…like the Polo ones.
2-3 ties
nice khakis that they don’t wear to school (the microfiber ones look a bit more dressy)
dark dress suit (navy, gray, or black)
sport coat or blazer
dress belt
dress shoes and dress socks!
2 nice polos - set aside and not worn to class (to keep it looking fresh and new!)
shoe polish for scuffs!</p>

<p>A navy blazer, dress shirt with a couple of ties to go with the shirt(s), khakis, dress shoes/socks and belt will do it for the guys. A polo shirt too, if they don’t have any in their regular wardrobe that they would pack anyways. </p>

<p>My one son did get accepted to an internship that required daily coat and tie one term. I sent a box with clothes we had at home (there are advantages to having all boys about the same size) since we had the stuff, and picked up some fresh no iron dress shirts and some more dress socks. I also gave him a check to have the stuff dry cleaned as needed and warned him that he has to hang this stuff up. </p>

<p>Another joined the orchestra for a semester, and I sent a check for him to buy an inexpensive used tux (most rental places will sell one) since that was required. If it had been a one time thing, and I believe some of mine have had that, rentals are fine.</p>

<p>What brand no-iron dress shirts do you recommend? I have purchased some that definitely were NOT “no-iron” despite being identified as such. My son is pretty good about taking things out of the dryer to hang…but I will be VERY surprised if he ever picks up an iron (unless absolutely necessary).</p>

<p>i think it is WAY easier for guys than girls.</p>

<p>i would think shirts from the cleaners would be better than no iron wdaveo. my brother in law always wears no iron shirts (he is a high dollar lawyer) but i think he always looks crumpled.</p>

<p>I do buy the no-iron shirts. If they need some touch up, they’re easy to touch up with an iron and spray starch…much easier than if they aren’t no-iron.</p>

<p>I have had the best luck with Lands End no-iron shirts for men (and those for women, too). They tend to be a tiny bit thicker which I think lends to their crisper look. I rarely have to do much touching up…but if I do, it’s quick.</p>

<p>I would never be able to rely on my kids to get things to and from the dry cleaners in a timely manner :(</p>

<p>Here’s a link to their no-iron shirts and pants…
<a href=“Lands' End | Swimwear, Outerwear, Casual Clothing and more”>Lands' End | Swimwear, Outerwear, Casual Clothing and more;

<p>the nice thing about lands end pants is that they will hem (for free) any length…even to the 1/4 inch.</p>

<p>BTW…I’m not sure, but I think if someone washed their no-iron shirt too many times, it will look more crumpled. And, of course, take them out of the dryer promptly and hang them up!</p>

<p>I would love any moms of daughters to share what events on campus that your daughter has had to dress up for. Super idea though to plan ahead and pack some clothes for business dress situations.</p>

<p>mine has had to dress for a few things (outside of sorority tings), but more are coming up. </p>

<p>i think the honors convocation thing is something they dress up for. that is in the first week or two of school.</p>

<p>now, she is having to dress for job shadowing and induction to some honors societies. tht is all i know about so far.</p>

<p>M2CK: Yes they do swing dancing. It’s my D’s favorite dance. The group is called the Crimson Tide Ballroom Dancers. Don’t let the name fool you. It’s not just ballroom dancing.
They teach a class just before the actual dance. The dances they teach have been: swing, triple-time swing, hustle, ballroom, cha cha, rumba, etc. My D didn’t know how to do any of these dances. She just goes to the classes and the dances and has fun.
[Crimson</a> Tide Ballroom Dancers - Home](<a href=“http://www.ctbd.org/]Crimson”>http://www.ctbd.org/)</p>

<p>Now back to the topic at hand…</p>

<p>As a mom to girls, I would have to say I think it may be harder or at least require more clothing purchases for girls. Since moving to campus, our daughter has needed or will need a combination of business formal and business casual for several interviews for on campus opportunities (not jobs), convocation, scholarship luncheons, numerous induction ceremonies, for pictures required on a few applications (also not for jobs). I highly recommend having at least one nice suit with coat, nice closed toe shoes, a nice handbag, simple jewelry, plenty of hosiery, a basic camisole and slip if necessary, and two or three interchangeable blouses. I recommend one is white and long sleeve. These opportunities seem to happen within a small window and girls will need to have the ability to change blouses if necessary to maintain a fresh and crisp appearance…walking across campus in the heat while wearing a business suit is no picnic and sometimes they will have to because of parking restrictions. This is especially important when going from one activity to another with a class wedged in between. Because dresses will vary more from season to season, this can be a challenge. Many of the stores cater to the casual dress for this age group, and finding a dress that doesn’t look like game day, isn’t cut provocatively or look like it was borrowed from grandma isn’t always easy. If the event includes pinning, girls will want to make sure they are wearing a jacket if the outfit includes a silk blouse…don’t want to have to replace a silk blouse because of a hole. Girls may want to pack a cardigan or other type of coverup for sleeveless dresses to extend their wearing time. Handbags for ballgames should be no larger than a letter size piece of paper.</p>

<p>Cuttlefish - I saw a group holding class once in the common area of RCS. They were inviting anyone who dared enter the area to join in. It looked like an amazing opportunity for fun and a new experience!</p>

<p>I don’t think many kids know about the ballroom dancing club. </p>

<p>I know that the South is big on Cotillion and things like that. My kids did Cotillion in California, so it’s popular there, too. </p>

<p>It’s always good to have some dancing “know how” experience.</p>

<p>My D’s wardrobe is pretty limited - she owns t-shirts, shorts, jeans and prom dresses. I think she has one pair of black dress pants and a tailored shirt to go with, but struggles with the towering (in her mind) 2-1/2 inch heels she needs to wear with that outfit. I guess we’ll have to go shopping, something she puts on par with a root canal. What do the girls need to wear for honors convocation? What else is likely to come up for first semester freshmen?</p>

<p>She can always stash a pair of sandals in a tote or her backpack if she needs to get across campus in a dressy outfit. A sundress or skirt would be fine for convocation. She’s more likely to need the extras second semester since that seems to be when many of these other things occur.</p>