Experience TCU

<p>Is anyone going to Experience TCU on April 11th? I'm going and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm an out-of-state student so I'm not completely familiar with the Fort Worth area.</p>

<p>Expect to be herded around a lot, well fed, and impressed. I suggest taking the bus tour to see Ft. Worth and then, at the end of the day, if you still have energy, take the campus tour. We didn’t take the campus tour because we felt we’d seen enough of it be default during the day’s events, and we’re really glad we received the snapshot of Ft. Worth that the student-led bus tour provided.</p>

<p>Also, students and parents can split up for the break ot sessions. I noticed some stayed together in the same sessions, and others split up like we did with the student going alone to some, and parents going alone to others.</p>

<p>Either way, I believe you’ll leave with a positive opinion of TCU and what it has to offer.</p>

<p>Thank you! I just got an email with the itinerary and it looks promising!</p>

<p>Did anyone go today?</p>

<p>I went and it was really fun and everyone was super nice. But I felt like the school was kind of pretentious and a little snobby. I’m not saying all the students I met were like that but that was the vibe I got. I’m glad I went to this because I had gone a campus tour during the summer and the vibe was totally different then.</p>

<p>Hmmm, I didn’t get that vibe at all. Was it something someone said, how they a acted?</p>

<p>Then again, I didn’t get that vibe from any of the colleges we visited. I know they all want to put the best foot foot forward.</p>

<p>I can’t really pinpoint it but it might be the way the tour guides kept reminding us of how much it cost for this or that, or it could be the mannerisms of the students/incoming class. But mostly everyone was very friendly though and not at all rude.</p>

<p>My family has been to several different “master-planned” events at TCU, as each kid did the college search. We have also been on campus for smaller, more personalized events.</p>

<p>We have never enjoyed TCU’s big planned events. They are behemoths! The crowds are enormous. They typically run up to 30 minutes late before they start. The parking lots are packed. There’s nothing personal about the visits. There’s no interaction between the TCU people and the visitors, unless you call group briefings “personal.” The tours are gi-normous because there are far more visitors than tour guides.</p>

<p>The big events are NOT a waste of time, in our opinions, because you do get to hear a lot of information, and you get to hear students, faculty, and staff talk all about what they have to offer. You get to see the campus. You get to meet other prospective students and families.</p>

<p>But, we have always believed that, in a way, TCU sells itself short with those huge presentations. They’d be better off, in our opinions, if they kept them significantly smaller and had more of them. The school is trying to sell a small, personalized experience, and they’re using a huge, mass-marketing method to achieve that.</p>

<p>On the other hand, our smaller, personally-arranged visits have always been wonderful. We get a much friendlier, much wider view of the campus and its people when we schedule our own. Personally, I don’t think TCU does a good job pulling off the monster-sized visit.</p>