Explaining Midyear Grades

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I’ve decided against explaining anything.

Your grades are your grades - and Bs are fine. Having straight As doesn’t by itself get you into top 20s.

Not having straight As doesn’t eliminate you from top schools.

Unless the reason is unbelievably crazy, you should let it be or it’s excuse making - and yes it shouldn’t come from you.

The world isn’t perfect and you don’t need to be. And if you’re not, roll with it, knowing you’ve done your best instead of figuring out a way to excuse it.

And there’s hundreds of great colleges in this country. Just because US News says it’s top 20 it doesn’t mean it is. And different colleges are strong in different majors.

So relax, be the best you that you can be, and things will work out as they should.

5 Likes

I see. I think the reason is actually pretty significant since it led to my attendance dropping drastically and eventually my grades. I figured it would be O.K since many students elaborate on their additional infos. But, I’ll talk to my counselor again–maybe I can convince her to send in a letter.

You can do it if you feel strongly - but think about the audience - what will they think?

Your bigger issue is you didn’t get an A and it’s ok. Too many kids think the world is ending because they didn’t get an A.

Colleges are risk averse - so while sometimes having issues mentioned can be helpful, it could also be hurtful if they think you might cause issue on campus…at least IMHO.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying, but it’s nothing mental health related. It relates to a family tragedy + me getting COVID and being out for 2+ weeks. I really don’t know what I should do. On one hand, I think it’s ok – I mean 2B’s are probably not going to be the reason I don’t get in. On the other, I think that I should write to them since my reasons are genuine? I’m going to talk it over with some more ppl.

I honestly don’t think two Bs senior year will make or break your application. If you were in the accept pile, I don’t think this slight blip will change that since your acceptance was likely based on a whole package that two Bs won’t significantly change. And I would also be concerned that sending in an unsolicited explanation might do more to draw attention to the issue than to quell it. But definitely seek other input on the matter. Ultimately, it will be your decision.

7 Likes

OP is a Junior - or at least the title says.

It’s just sad that kids feel the need to “explain” non-As but that’s what society has created.

3 Likes

Ah my bad. I was imagining this as a potential update to apps that had already been submitted. If OP is in fact a junior, then there will be a space at the end of the common app where you can provide additional information, and this could be appropriate to include there.

2 Likes

Sorry - it obviously stinks any time someone has a death in the family - but writing this, in my opinion, will likely be ignored but potentially can be seen as excuse making.

The grades are the grades - and they’re not bad btw. But the student owns them.

You didn’t suffer in all your classes - and you will learn in life, no one is perfect. You cannot tie getting Bs to being out. You may have gotten them anyway.

No school says they are a 3.9 UW and not a 4.0 and therefore they’re gone - and that’s what you’re surmising. So I would stop that thought process.

They will look at much more - rigor, ECs, other traits, the essays, the recs.

There’s really not an issue here - you’re creating one that doesn’t exist (in my opinion).

Good luck.

2 Likes

If you had a major illness, natural disaster, death in the family, or similar major external impact on you, your attendance, etc., yes, this is appropriate to share with the admissions team. They understand that these things happen and the impact it can have.

1 Like

I’m a senior :slight_smile: I’m a part of the 2023 group and for some reason it gives me the HS Junior tag LOL

Honestly, I really wasn’t that bothered by the B’s because I know that I tried my best. Things didn’t work out - oh well! But, then I talked to some people on Reddit and they essentially said that the senior year midyear report is probably the most important. I got a bit worried. I’m gonna refrain from explaining them, though. It is what it is, and my gpa is still 3.9+ and like a 4.8 W.

This is not the best idea, to be frank.

I’m very sorry you have had a tragedy in your family.

Your guidance counselor doesn’t want to mention this. Most here believe you shouldn’t mention this, and I agree. Why? Because you are drawing attention to something that isn’t a problem. Missing two weeks of school and still keep your grades high isn’t a big issue, to be honest. A couple of B’s are not a problem.

What is your goal by sharing this information with a college? If it’s to elicit sympathy, it may well backfire. During the last few years, countless people have experienced all kinds of tragedies, and as awful as your experience has been for you, trust me that there are people who have experienced far worse. To be blunt, colleges don’t admit people because they feel sorry for them.

If the goal is for them to think that you’re unique because you managed to keep your grades high despite the last couple of years, that might also backfire. There isn’t a reason that you deserve an edge over another student because you were able to keep doing what you are supposed to do.

I’m sorry to be so blunt. Provide this information if you like, but be aware that it might not have the effect you intend.

9 Likes

I agree with all of the above- unless the death was a parent (in which case, I suspect that the GC would not have had a problem writing the letter). The line between “explanations” and “excuses” is a very fine one to try and walk.

You were sick for 2 weeks? every school has systems for making up work. Lucky you for not having been sick in grades 9, 10 & 11!

If you had a perfect 4.0, I get that it’s hard to see it drop, and since you are clearly in the twitchy waiting stage it’s tempting to grasp at every and any thing that might help.

But at this point you need to trust the record you have built over the last several years, the strength of your essays, the validation of the outstanding LoRs that you have earned.

5 Likes

I would wager that this is only true in the sense that what colleges DON’T want to see is a previously straight A student slack off and get “senioritis” and start failing all of their classes. That is not at all the case here.

And while this NOT meant as any sort of criticism of the OP at all - I realize it is the result of the pressure cooker that high stats students find themselves in - what is wrong in the world where a student feels compelled to explain the fact that they got TWO Bs because of a DEATH IN THEIR FAMILY. I am both fascinated and horrified by the world of high stakes admissions.

1 Like

I would only explain if you got Cs. Bs for midterm grades are fine.

GC hasn’t refused because of the reason. She just doesn’t write letters for anyone–no matter how big or small the circumstance. We’re a large public, so I think it has to do with the sheer number of students she has to deal with.

Figured it might soften the blow of the 2B’s. One of my teachers grades heavily on participation and essentially didn’t let me make up the in-class activities (not HW) that they did when I was out with COVID, and that dropped my grade.

But, I get what you’re saying. I don’t think it’s worth sending in a letter.

It won’t. It will draw unwanted attention to two B’s, which might not otherwise be particularly noticed. It might seem like a desperate measure, tbh. If you don’t get into a super selective reach school, it’s not going to be because of those two B’s.

2 Likes