ExtraCurricular Activities - "Controversial" Publication

Hey,

I was reviewing my UC Applications today and realized I was unhappy with two of my activity descriptions:

“Monthly publication on controversial issues in the community; Redesigned logo & layout; Added new sections; Increased readership by 500% with Issuu”

and

“Created website on controversial issues with 1500+ followers; Manage staff of 6 writers remotely; Maintain all social media accounts”

Both have the words controversial in it, which I thought would deter admission officers (they don’t want students who will cause trouble on campus in the future right?) For my Common App, I phrased it much nicer with phrases like “relevant, often stigmatized, issues in the community” and “political and cultural issues”, which are much more accurate to the true nature of the activity.

Do you think my UC activity descriptions will hurt me? Any suggestions on what I can do to change that? I had one of my advisors from the publication send in a letter of recommendation to Cal, which a much more fitting description of the whole activity, but I’m still worried about the other UC’s.

Thanks in advance!

Doubt it will hurt you.

The concern is about kids who are troublemakers in hs. They can like kids aware of and engaged in “hot” topics. There’s a difference. Chances are your letter did explain more about what these issues are and your work.

But the apps are in now, right? Don’t worry about this small aspect.

thank you, i really appreciate it