Fall 2013 academic calendar!

<p>I'm not sure when this calendar was posted, but I'm just finding out that the students will have the whole week off for Thanksgiving this coming fall!!!!
Academic</a> Calendars | Enrollment Management | University of Miami</p>

<p>After 2 years of delayed/cancelled flights and LONG travel days back and forth for a too-short 3 day visit home in November, it will be nice to avoid that this year.</p>

<p>It also appears that the entire academic semester is pushed back about a week, with first day of classes starting on Monday the 26th of August (last year was Wed the 22nd). There is also a 4 day weekend in October (last year was 3 days) and the semester ends 6 days later on Dec 18th instead of Dec 12th. Good changes all around, from my perspective.</p>

<p>It does disclaim "subject to change" at the top, but I would think it's probably not at this point in the year.</p>

<p>I noticed it a few days ago and was pleased. It’s great about the week off at Thanksgiving!! It also better matches my older S schedule at his college so if my second S ends up at Miami, it’s the perfect schedule for us.</p>

<p>Yes, D told me about the new calendar. Overall, wonderful changes. I love the Thanksgiving week break!</p>

<p>They emailed us a week or two ago informing us of all the changes made, which include the full week off for Thanksgiving as well as an extra day for Fall Break, making it a four-day weekend instead of just three. Also pretty sure we have fewer reading days. </p>

<p>Edit: Here’s the full email

</p>

<p>Yeah I’m not a fan of having only one reading day before exams start…</p>

<p>Meh, I’d rather have a longer Thanksgiving break than a second reading day. Most of my studying is done throughout the final couple weeks. Having one less day to cram for an exam is a good move by the University; it encourages students to spread their studying out throughout the end of the semester.</p>

<p>It’s not the university’s job to encourage good studying habits, and one day is almost pointless. It’s a little difficult to spread studying out when you’re learning new material up until and including the last day of classes (i.e. the day before the reading day). But it’s not that big of a deal, just a bummer.</p>

<p>Love the week off for Thanksgiving as DS will be able to avoid the crazy travel days ( and expense)… That is, once he commits to the U!</p>