Family Weekend 2011

<p>Thought I would put this out there…</p>

<p>Family Weekend</p>

<p>The Office of Parent Programs is excited to announce dates for Family Weekend. We will be hosting parents and family members of UA students the weekend of September 16th -18th, 2011 for the North Texas football game. In addition to the football game, we will be planning several events for students and families to take advantage of throughout the weekend. Please continue to check our website for updates, including when registration will open for Family Weekend. We will continue to send updates through our e-newsletters as well.</p>

<p>For more information about these and other happenings, visit parents.ua.edu or contact the Office of Parent Programs, (800) 392-2777. </p>

<p>With all the discussion about getting to and from T-Town as well as hotel reservations ect you might want to get this on your calendar.</p>

<p>omg, and I can’t find rooms already. I was ready to book the Comfort Inn @$199 but they wanted full payment $900 for 2 rooms upon booking. That is kind of crazy. I would hate to go to b’ham but it is looking likely.
anyone have any other suggestions?</p>

<p>North Texas? doesn’t sound like an exciting game. Maybe I won’t get other takers on the second room?</p>

<p>Family Weekend is typically on a weekend of a less-than-popular game because it needs the seats for visiting families. </p>

<p>It would never work out if they held FW on the weekend of a popular game…the visiting families would never get tix.</p>

<p>The game will be a sell out. The place will be a mad-house. </p>

<p>Are all hotels insisting that you book 2 rooms? They usually only require you to book ONE room but for TWO nights.</p>

<p>Called Country Inn and Suites. We stayed there multiple times last year (March, June, August (2x’s) September…they are not taking reservation until April 1st. She took my name. I will be calling them at mid night April 1…you can count on it!</p>

<p>All our kids said they wanted to go for family weekend, so I booked the two rooms. I went to the Comfort inn site and booked them directly $189. I don’t think they are going to charge me for the whole shebang now, so that is good. They might not want to come for a North Texas game though. I can cancel up until 9/9. Any feedback on Comfort Inn, not like we have much choice.</p>

<p>We ended up staying just outside of Birmingham in Hoover for Parent’s weekend. I said I wouldn’t go again and that we’d go on another football weekend in the Fall, but I do think it’s probably a good thing for freshman parents to do if they can. At least it’s a few weeks later this year than last.</p>

<p>Of course, that’s D’s birthday weekend. What to do, what to do.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I’m sure Comfort Inn is fine. Is that the one on McFarland?</p>

<p>Did you try Wingate. It’s probably the same price, but nicer.</p>

<p>I just booked a room at the Greystone in Vance for $166.00 per night. It’s across from the Mercedes plant on I-20 a few miles outside of Tuscaloosa. They did not have a 2 night minimum. Last year we stayed in Bessemer and it took 90 minutes on the interstate to get to the hotel after the game.</p>

<p>Yeah, that was my thought, that maybe we would do the parents weekend just the two of us once and then have the kids come down for a regular weekend game. He will have been gone a month, he might be ready to see us by then ;)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>keep in mind that later games may be considered “more popular” and you may have a hard time getting tix for a group of you…and certainly have trouble getting seats near each other. </p>

<p>How many of you would there be?</p>

<p>Oh that’s true, there would probably be 4-5. I have seen blocks of 4 on ebay, but that’s about it. I will keep the two rooms at this point. The Comfort Inn says its off of McFarland, so that should be ok as long as its decent inside. I’ll check Wingate as well.</p>

<p>For people that will be buying football tix thru the Family Weekend Program, be sure to get signed up for that when you can.</p>