Family Weekend 2011

<p>We want to take our S out to dinner this weekend. Anyone have any good restaurants in Sunset Place/South Miami/Coconut Grove that they can recommend? Thanks.</p>

<p>I’ll bet you get lots of good suggestions. I was looking over the link that UM sent in the Family Weeekend pdf file: [Miami</a> Spice](<a href=“Miami Spice Restaurant Months Official Site | Greater Miami & Miami Beach”>Miami Spice Restaurant Months Official Site | Greater Miami & Miami Beach)</p>

<p>Some of these sound like great deals for $35 and a 3 course meal. I have taken advantage of this plan in other cities and the food has always been generous and excellent.</p>

<p>If you are a steak lover and don’t mind chain restaurants, either Morton’s or Ruths Chris would be good choices. I’m looking for something more unique to Miami and am hoping others familiar with the areas you mention will reply.
~Zinc</p>

<p>I always liked Jaguar in the Grove. Great location, good food (especially if you want to try ceviche) and a fun atmosphere.</p>

<p>We will be there also! At Merrick (which is close and a great area) the Yardhouse is great. It has a huge menu, fun atmosphere, and great food. We have not tried Villagio which is also at Merrick but I hear it is good Italian. Bice at Coconut Grove is also good. If you are looking for something nicer, Christys is a great local steakhouse. </p>

<p>Separate subject, anyone need 2 football tickets for Saturday’s game? We bought them but D wants to go shopping instead. If you need lower bowl tix, please message me.</p>

<p>If you do not mind the hassle of going to South Beach, try Puerto Sagua on the corner of Collins and 7th. Excellent Cuban food.</p>

<p>I second both Jaguar and Yardhouse, both of which we tried based on CCers recommendations. When we moved our DS in this year we tried Havana Harry’s for Cuban food. Excellent food and service as well as large very affordable portions. We all liked it so much we returned for lunch on our way to the airport. It is near Merrick Park.</p>

<p>Sorry guys - I’m a freshman parent, and these places sound interesting to me for this weekend. Will they be crowded because of parent weekend? Can someone tell me where Merrick Park is?</p>

<p>Thanks!!!</p>

<p>Merrick Park is very close to campus. It is on Lejeune Rd. (SW 47th Ave) about a quarter of a mile north of US1. From campus it would be about a 5 minute drive. Merrick Park is definitely an upscale shopping mall with Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, and several boutique shops. As far as dining is concerened there is the Yardhouse, another several other nice, pretty low key places to eat. Bring your wallet! It’s going to cost you, lol!</p>

<p>Have not been myself because H does not eat fish–his grandfather was a butcher, and they never had it growing up, but that’s another story–Monte’s in Coconut Grove is supposed to be lovely and on the water. We’ve been to Houston’s in Coral Gables–very good. Our D loves a good steak, and when we went to Family Weekend, which was always a week or so beforw her birthday, we went to Morton’s in Coral Gables. There’s a Capitol Grill in downtown Miami, and a Ruth’s Cris off of Brickell Ave. My personal favorite is a restauarant called “Delores But You Can Call Me Lolita” , not too far from campus in downtown Miami. You’d have to google it to see just where. Great food, price fixed, and a fun atmosphere. You can eat in or out or on a roof deck. Definitely recommend. Enjoy. Our D graduated in 2010, and we miss the U.</p>

<p>So Racquetdad - did you find a nice spot to have dinner with your son over the weekend? Please give us the low down!! We ended up having a late lunch/early dinner with our daughter in Key Largo on Saturday - place called Snappers. Pretty nice right on the water and the food was very good too - a bit pricey, but overall very good.
~Zinc</p>

<p>Thanks for all the dining recommendations! We had lunch at Havana Harry’s on Friday, dinner at the Yard House on Saturday, and brunch at Jaguar on Sunday. All great places that we would go back to. ( Friday night my S was craving dinner from his favorite place- Chipotle. ) Looking forward to eating on our next trip to Coral Gables.</p>

<p>Two of our faves are:
Ortanigue and Christies- both nicer restaurants.
Plenty of other great restaurants not too far from campus also. </p>

<p>Casual, but great food:
Smoke’d and Moon.</p>

<p>We loved every restaurant we went to during Family Weekend and highly recommend each one of them:</p>

<p>In the Sunset Place/Red Road area closest to UM: RA Sushi and Town Kitchen & Bar
Miracle Mile: Por Fin
SoBe: China Grille</p>

<p>We tried Villagio at Merrick Place. Great Italian, nice atmosphere and reasonably priced (except for the shopping before we ate, lol). We also ate at Seasons 52 on Miracle Mile. Everything is under 500 calories. It was delicious. You would never know it was healthy.</p>

<p>We Also ate ate Villagio and enjoyed it. Saw Rick Sanchez from CNN sitting at the bar. Still wracking my brain as to who his companion was. He was familiar.</p>