Family Weekend 2016 packages go on sale at 2pm today

I had a question about the football tickets. I feel like I read somewhere it was better not to buy the tickets they offer you for sale with the family weekend packages. I don’t remember exactly why, better seats or something if you bought them on your own. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I definitely want to go to the game.

DS just finished freshman year. Last year family weekend was when they played Monroe, a team they beat pretty much every year. I didn’t buy the package. We only did the brunch (paid to take his suitemates) and the parent breakfast. DS just wasn’t interested in other things and we had a great time tailgating at a variety of tents on the fly plus all the food trucks. So thankful we didn’t waste money on a variety of ala carte events or God forbid the super expensive package. Made hotel reservations in February I remember and luckily found a nice hotel in town that wasn’t outrageous. Think it was Best Western.

I did panic two days before we flew (into Atlanta and with rental car) and got tickets on stubhub but they were great seats and our DS chose to sit with us as he didn’t have this game in his package. We saw numerous registered folks, so legit, selling tickets on every street corner but since I don’t know the layout of the stadium I wanted to see it on stubhub.

Sophomore year I’ll pick another football weekend. Homecoming was very popular last year too but I’m sure hotels are already sold out nearby. We may stay 40 min away next time.

When is family weekend?

September 23-25

https://parents.sa.ua.edu/programs/family-weekend/

Thank you LostTexan…Thinking ahead for next year!

I am looking forward to the family weekend to meet my DS and get more familiar in UA. However, we are not a football family. I looked the agenda from 2015. It seems to me most of activities geared to football on Saturday. Any suggestions what should we do? How was the beach bash if anyone has been there? Thank you!

Family weekend football tickets are likely going to be upper deck end zone seats. You can get much better seats for r that price or not so much more if you wait to buy. Mid September in Tuscaloosa is still toasty, and any kick off time other than an evening game is going to be in full direct sun. Do you really want to be that much closer to the sun in the upper end zone?

As far as the family weekend events go, they are o.k. Personally, I would not choose to participate in them. There are plenty of other things to do on game weekend. And as for not being a football family, report back after 4 years with a student at Bama. :slight_smile: