Finishing Freshman year with only 18 credits

Hey, So I have had an interesting start to my college career. I took 3 classes at FIU last semester since I was a spring admit at UM. Now I am a freshman in my second semester in college (first semester at UM) but unfortunately, I have been unable to do well so far because of some severe family problems I am going through and having to spend a lot of time at home. I am currently taking 12 credits and am thinking about dropping my hardest class and only taking 9. I am doing this only so I can focus on 3 classes and keep my GPA up.

Obviously entering the sophomore year with 18 credits puts me far behind my peers. However, I will do my best to make up for a lot of it in summer semesters and online courses. Is anyone out there in a similar situation? Would it be a bad idea to take an extra semester or a 5th year at the end of my four years to make up for the lost credits? I am planning on majoring in International Marketing and Finance with a minor in Spanish.

Have you taken the CLEP Spanish test? or other CLEP tests? Its a cheap way to earn credit if you school will take the transfer of credit. Check it out.