Fisher DA Day Questions, Class Sizes/ratio and Freshmen First Year Experience

We are deciding between Fisher, Kelley and Gabelli. Can someone with a Fisher student tell me the most common class size for business classes in Fisher? I think gen ed classes can be very large, and the faculty:student ratio at OSU is the biggest of all the schools we are down to.

Also, how has the first year experience at Fisher been? Any regrets or welcome surprises?

Buckeye Bound days are too far apart from Fisher DA day events, so we want to know if it’s worth it to go to both a Fisher DA day and Fisher Student Takeover session. If we do one of these, we might be able to make another trip for a Buckeye Bound day. Thoughts?

Hi, my son was also accepted to Kelley and Fisher. It is so hard to decide. Which way are you leaning?

Fisher. For us, it’s much easier for travel, and Bloomington felt like it was in the middle of nowhere. Plus, Fisher gave 2x the merit as Kelley. But if costs were equal, Gabelli because I can at least get responses to emails about their program vs. Fisher that hasn’t answered now in over a week. I guess that’s due to public vs private, as usual, right?

1 Like

We have not visited either school yet, we are waiting to see if our son gets into Michigan before traveling to the midwest. I did read student comments at OSU that it is difficult to deal with admin issues. I assume that is because it is such a huge school.

Good luck with Michigan! Since I posted earlier, our circumstances have changed and we are strongly considering a school even smaller than Fordham–Elon! Of course, we are also waiting on other schools, but comparing everything that is important for us, Elon has risen to the top!

1 Like

Updating to say we seem to be headed back to an OSU v. Elon showdown. Son just learned he got into OSU’s Business Scholars Program, which I had told him was a must for OSU to be a contender. So that makes it so much more like a small cohort within all the amazing things a large school provides–sort of like the best of both worlds?

Now, I probably need to stop reading about how many violent crimes are being committed in the University District neighborhood–it’s concerning, and when we visited, I saw zero police patrols. In other very urban cities, I’ve seen mounted police (in Manhattan even in winter), police on bikes, cruisers, etc.

My daughter is finishing up first year in BS. It’s been a great experience. Blackburn is a great dorm right by everything on North. She has joined a few key clubs in Fisher and is very happy. Good luck to your student but so far so good with us.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that! Would you recommend the Fisher Friday (the date we picked is on a Sat) or Fisher Student Takeover? I’m leaning toward the Student Takeover because it’s on a Monday and we’d see what the vibe is like with students around.

I would agree on during the week so you can see the weekly vibe.

Current OSU parent with another child on the way next year. DA to Fisher and Kelley. Ultimately chose OSU due to merit, Business Scholars program, and opportunities in Columbus vs. Bloomington. Regarding the crime…OSU is an urban campus. The campus itself is very safe. Off campus crime involving students is more often than not a crime of opportunity (doors unlocked, walking alone at 3am, etc). The University District area is an area that includes the city of Columbus, so it is much more widespread than just the area where OSU is located. The plus side to having to be so vigilant is that students develop street smarts and are better prepared to live in larger cities after graduation. My daughter is a senior at OSU and interned in LA last summer. She had zero issues making the transition to a bigger city. OSU has been a wonderful school…highly recommend!

I’m deciding between Kelley or Fisher(Bus Scholars) for finance. Do you happen to know anything about IB for kids in the scholar’s program?

Also how do roommates work as an OOS.