For those who attend University of Miami

<p>the classes are MUCH HARDER than you’d think…
haha</p>

<p>Stanford, tenth floor, Marine Science floor, at least it was 30 years ago, female side.</p>

<p>View of Lake Oceola was awesome! Could see large fish swimming the lake from my dorm window.</p>

<p>Beautiful herons perched in the trees, fishing.</p>

<p>Had to do Mahoney-Pearson one summer. Awful. Had a suitemate with digestive issues and could never get in the bathroom. That’s the one across from the lake, right?</p>

<p>Stayed in Stanford, freshman dorm, the whole time I was there. Met people from all over. Easy access to bathrooms, showers, except when fire alarm pulled in the wee hours and everyone had to do their nighttime potty break at the same time. Cafeteria right outside the dorm.</p>

<p>Of course, this is from 30 years ago, but I see that Stanford is still standing, and Lake Oceola is still there, so assuming the view is the same. </p>

<p>There was another dorm back then that was closer to the classroom buildings. May not be there anymore. I think there’s a parking garage there now. Anyway, did not like that one. A far walk from the freshman dorms, so didn’t get to visit much there. But no view of Lake Oceola.</p>

<p>Really, if you go to UMiami and live on campus, you have to have a view of Lake Oceola. Seeing a body of water out of your dorm window just makes you feel like you’re in Florida, even though the beach is a good distance from campus.</p>

<p>Oh, and the weather. Not many rainy days. And I don’t think it ever got under 72 degrees. And I was always able to swim laps in the outdoor pool.</p>

<p>Amazing school. I’m a senior and I love it and I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else.</p>

<p>Hey for those of you at UM already:
so lucky :slight_smile: I’ve applied and I’m really hoping for good results. Anybody doing study abroad that you can tell me about? </p>

<p>ALSO I know this may sound really stupid but uhh… since there is not technically any “winter” season in Miami, do you guys ever really miss snow/winter/cold weather in general? I’m afraid if I do end up going I’ll be missing winter too much… :S</p>

<p>emh1209, D is a freshman from the northeast. She is definitely missing the changing of the seasons. I send her pictures of the leaves changing colors, and I even sent her some actual leaves! She is VERY MUCH looking forward to her month at home in Dec/Jan to get her fill of winter, and is hoping for snow! (The exception being, of course, the day she has to go back to Florida!)</p>

<p>emh, </p>

<p>UM has a solid study abroad program, from spring break programs to a full year…S went to Australia for a semester.</p>

<p>emh, </p>

<p>S does miss fall some, but tires of winter quickly after Christmas…</p>

<p>The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences at UM just announced a study abroad session in the Galapagos Islands!!! My D is so looking forward to that, what an opportunity!!!</p>

<p>I’m from Northeast and miss the cold. but will be home for 5 weeks over christmas break so will get my fair share of the cold.</p>

<p>btw its about 65 here this past week. which is kinda “fall-like”</p>

<p>Bumping the thread to see how the thanksgiving break was and exam week coming along?</p>

<p>So the mall is within walking distance?</p>

<p>I think son will go as undeclared and then decide if he wants to be in the colleges of arts & science or engineering. He wants to major in computer science.</p>

<p>Sunset Place, a smaller, outdoor mall with a movie theater and Gameworks is walking distance, the regular mall is 3 stops away on the metrorail.</p>