Fordham business versus University of Rochester business college-UG

HI
I would appreciate any information on comparison between fordham business and U rochester business schools. Regarding career prospects, alumni networking, academics, and happy student population Please advise other than location differences. Thank you

1 Like

Are you asking for undergrad or grad school? Simon (Rochester) doesn’t have an undergraduate business program.

Undergraduate. .Thank you!

So is U rochester not a good choice for someone interested in a business discipline as UG ?

I am asking about UG business school. Not simon. How does it compare with gabelli school of business?

1 Like

Obviously, the locations are different.

Rochester does have a business undergrad - see link - unless i’m missing something.

I put the Rochester career link below. I set it to BA for all the business disciplines - but sometimes you have to reset these. So you can see what they say is reported - 58% working and 39% continuing education - which for business isn’t good I don’t think - too high. But you be the judge - but in general, you want work experience before more schooling unless they are studying something unrelated. While they seem to place high in Central NY, they have people in Florida, Atlanta, the Carolinas, Chicago, LA, SF and Seattle amongst others. They show 1.7% still looking - hopefully they’ve found jobs by now. I don’t see salary info.

I’ve linked Fordham career outcomes - they don’t allow you to pick by specific major (you can for Rochester) but they show the companies hiring.

If you reach out to both, you can likely get more details based on major, interest, and salaries (Rochester didn’t provide).

I don’t know but I imagine the industries attract might be different - with Fordham being in NYC - maybe it’s more finance heavy (but maybe not) but when you look at the company list on the link, it appears to be that way.

So these are questions to ask of each school but you can use what I’ve linked as a starting point.

Good luck.

Career Outcomes & First Destination – Greene Center | University of Rochester

BA Requirements : Undergraduate Program : Barry Florescue Undergraduate Business Program : University of Rochester

Gabelli Undergraduate Student Career Outcomes | Fordham

2 Likes

Thank you very much. This helps. Looks like Fordham gabelli is a better option for UG business.

I would be sure to pay attention to which school’a location, vibe, cost (if a factor) etc. is the better fit for you. Happy students tend to do better. Also keep in mind that Fordham has an extensive liberal arts core curriculum (can find it online).

FWIW my S went to Gabelli at Fordham-RH (graduated a while ago),and had a great experience. Also know people who enjoyed UR.

1 Like

Thank you. Glad your son enjoyed fordham. You are right. My daughter likes the city atmosphere and liberal arts curriculum more. She wants the LC location . Is each campus self sufficient ? Did your daughter get internships and job offers easily? What did she major in ?

I wouldn’t say that from what I showed.

I don’t know your interests. I would think it would require more study to see how each relates to what you are hoping to accomplish.

That’s why I would reach out to each for a complete career report with info by major into salary, location and company names.

But it could be Fordham is better.

I don’t think I showed enough to conclude that.
But you need to be on campus four years - day after day after day. They will undoubtedly be different. To me, finding the right fit should be a higher priority.

1 Like

My S was at the Rose Hill campus so a different vibe/experience. Students can take classes on the other campus but it takes time to travel on the van. I’m guessing all required classes can be taken on the student’s home campus but your D can always ask and confirm.

S did live on the LC dorms with some friends one summer while they had internships in NYC and enjoyed the experience.

He studied accounting and had a very good outcome.

3 Likes

I stand corrected. UofR created an undergraduate business major in 2011. It did not exist when I attended Simon.

3 Likes

One note: The business majors at LC are somewhat limited as compared to what is available on the RH campus. Your D should be sure LC offers a major she would be happy studying. When my S attended, a student’s major had to be offered on the home campus (she can always confirm that is still the case).

2 Likes

Yes thank you. My daughter is interested in marketing and management and global business…

1 Like

And she’s not looking at U of South Carolina, #1 for international business’
; :slight_smile:

Rochester has a large international population.

This is why it’s important to check Fordham stats by major. They show a lot of banks. It doesn’t mean they are finance people as banks need marketing, operations, HR, too. But it would indicate that it might.

But again, more importantly, outside area of Rochester will be such a different lifestyle than NYC - that it is likely a bigger differentiator.

Students today get jobs on line moreso than ever b4- so if your student has grit and hustle, they won’t be penalized in any way.

1 Like

No . She is staying north of DC and prefers the coasts.
She didnt want to apply to or notre dame Indiana as it is the midwest.
GWU is another option. Stern is too cut throat for her .

Marketing at Stern is not cut-throat. Finance at Stern- specifically targeting investment banking- is competitive (and some might say intense/cut-throat) but there are plenty of business majors which are not.

2 Likes

Thank you. Didnt know that. Appreciate it. Will inform my daughter

I know you said other than location, but when you’re talking about business school, location is very important, for internships. People at Fordham can do internships in NYC throughout the semester, something not available at Rochester. To me, that opportunity outweighs anything else, unless you’re talking a truly prestigious business school, like Wharton.

“Location, location, location!”

1 Like

Thank you! This thread has definitely helped . My daughter will also apply to NYU now :slight_smile: