Foreign Language Requirement

<p>LadyDiane…</p>

<p>I should have included this link so that you can see which classes have which designation for Core. </p>

<p>Also, each semester will have some new Honors course offerings that will satisfy Core.
(Some honors courses are offered each semester and some are limited offerings.)</p>

<p>[Core</a> Curriculum – General Studies Course Listing | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-1]Core”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-1)</p>

<p>Click on each tab to see listings of courses that satisfy those req’ts.</p>

<p>For instance…for the Freshman Comp FC req’t…</p>

<p>EN 101 English Composition I FC<br>
EN 102 English Composition II FC<br>
EN 103 Advanced English Composition FC<br>
EN 104 English Composition BUI FC<br>
EN 120 English Composition I for Non-Native Speakers FC<br>
EN 121 English Composition II for Non-Native Speakers FC </p>

<p>Note: Completion of English 103 counts for both FC req’ts…and… it counts as an honors class even though it doesn’t have “honors” in its name… </p>

<p>anyone with any transfer credits can find info here…
[Transfer</a> Credit (Students) | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/services/mystudent/transfer-credit-students/]Transfer”>http://registrar.ua.edu/services/mystudent/transfer-credit-students/)</p>

<p>SeaTide,
Does the placement exam give you credit as well? S will be in ihp for Spanish, but doesn’t want to take 4 semesters, 1 or 2 would be great. He has taken it all 4 years of HS, It isn’t his strongest subject however-B+, so not sure how he would do on a clep, definitely isn’t taking the AP.</p>

<p>The placement exam by itself does not give you credit. If you read my earlier post in this thread I go into detail about how you get additional credit by taking a class AFTER doing well on the placement test.</p>

<p>If I were you, I’d have my son take CLEP…if he does well on it then great…if he doesn’t …no harm, no foul. if he doesn’t do well on CLEP, then he can proceed with the placement exam method.</p>

<p>a hint…if your child scores in a higher band, he can still take a lower level class and get credit for the lower level classes. For instance, if your child scores in the highest band, he can take 202 (which should be easier than 301) and after completion, he’d still get credit for 201 and 103.</p>

<p>I was thinking if you placed out of 101 & 102 and then took 201 & 202 then you’d get credit for all 4 and you would fulfill the ihp requirements. Is that true? I would think he could place out of 102 & 102 after 4 years of Spanish. Not sure after 4 AP tests (non Spanish) he will be into taking another. He may have to study for the math placement as he doesn’t want to take pre-cal again.</p>

<p>Can you say “how many questions can she ask about language and math placement”. Gosh I don’t know why this stuff isn’t sinking in. Well maybe I know- for the last year it’s been all about getting in and now its all about actually going. My old brain can only focus on one thing.</p>

<p>After 4 years of Spanish, your son should do well on the CLEP and/or placement exam.</p>

<p>I highly recommend the CLEP as you can register with the testing center one day and take the test (and get your score) the next day. Two days before the AP test, I called the testing center, took the test the next day, and since I scored high enough for maximum credit, I went to school the next day (the day of the AP test), cancelled my exam, and got a partial refund. I recommend planning further ahead than I did, but the whole process took less than 3 hours.</p>

<p>IHP only looks to see if you have 4 semesters’ worth of language credit, regardless of how that credit was earned. Once your son has credit for previous knowledge of a language, he could fulfill the remainder of the IHP language requirement by taking another language if he so desired.</p>

<p>Sea Tide - is there any speaking portion to the CLEP language exam? D is finishing up Honors Spanish 4 this year and isn’t planning to take AP Spanish next year, so she might take the CLEP at the end of this school year. She’s very good at reading and writing, good at listening and understanding, and not so good at speaking. (I sympathize, because I was the same way with languages). I’m pretty sure I saw that there were spoken passages that you had to answer questions on, but do you ever have to actually SPEAK the language to pass the CLEP test.</p>

<p>The Spanish Language CLEP Exam is all multiple choice and does not include any writing or speaking on the student’s part. [CLEP:</a> Spanish Language](<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>Spanish Language: Levels 1 and 2 – CLEP | College Board)</p>

<p>^^ Thank you!</p>

<p>I am confused about the foreign language requirement. When I visited UA I received a plan for the Econ & Finance double major. It laid out all of the courses I would have to take. As I understood it, I could take EITHER two semesters of foreign language OR 2 semesters of (C) courses. Is that incorrect?</p>

<p>Also on an unrelated note, how much out-of-class time is needed to complete a standard 1 credit UH seminar?</p>

<p>It laid out all of the courses I would have to take. As I understood it, I could take EITHER two semesters of foreign language OR 2 semesters of (C) courses. Is that incorrect?</p>

<p>Yes. Core Req’ts indicate that you can take EITHER. However, if you’re decent in a FL, you might consider taking the CLEP test and testing out a FL for credit. There’s nothing to lose by trying except the testing fee.</p>

<p>**6 semester hours of one of the following: **</p>

<p>6 semester hours in courses that are approved for the computer (C) designation. These courses either substantially integrate the application of appropriate software or require writing computer programs. Students must make extensive use of the computer as a condition for passing the course. Courses approved for the (C) designation assume that students have a working knowledge of the computer. </p>

<p>or</p>

<p>2 semesters in one foreign language (FL). A grade of “C” or better must be earned in the first-semester course of the two-semester sequence that fulfills the requirement before the student will be allowed to enroll in the second semester course. Students with two or more high-school units of a foreign language will be assigned to foreign language courses by the foreign language advisors on the basis of placement test scores. Students placed into FR 103, SP 103, or intermediate courses (FR 201, SP 201) will satisfy this requirement in one semester.</p>

<p>*Also on an unrelated note, how much out-of-class time is needed to complete a standard 1 credit UH seminar? *</p>

<p>It would depend on the class. If it’s a Common Book class, then you’d have to read the book and (I guess) write something about it. I don’t know how much writing is needed for a Common book class. </p>

<p>Which one credit classes interest you?</p>

<p>I actually think I would rather do two 3 credit seminars for Humanities and UH seminar requirements. Do you know anything about the following classes (eg. comparison between non-honors humanities and honors as far as time commitment)? The main issue for me is I will have to take two honors courses (one of the below and Eng 103 adv comp) my first semester while I was advised to take just one.:</p>

<p>UH-University Honors
Select CRN Subj Crse Sec Cmp Cred Title Days Time Cap Act Rem WL Cap WL Act WL Rem Instructor Date (MM/DD) Location Attribute
NR 43445 UH 155 001 MA 3.000 FR Seminar:Judicial Procedure TR 09:30 am-10:45 am 15 14 1 0 0 0 John C. Watkins (P) 08/24-12/09 NT 283 Freshmen Seminar and Humanities and University Honors
C 43619 UH 155 002 MA 3.000 FRSeminar:Int’l War Crimes TR 11:00 am-12:15 pm 15 15 0 0 0 0 John C. Watkins (P) 08/24-12/09 NT 292 Freshmen Seminar and Humanities and University Honors
C 50217 UH 155 003 MA 3.000 FR Sem: Mindset of War TR 09:30 am-10:45 am 15 15 0 0 0 0 Kathryn L. Merritt (P) 08/24-12/09 NT 173 Freshmen Seminar and Humanities and University Honors
NR 49187 UH 155 005 MA 3.000 FRSem:Music & Political Mvmts. TR 12:30 pm-01:45 pm 15 11 4 0 0 0 Jennifer L. Roth-Burnette (P) 08/24-12/09 TBA Freshmen Seminar and Humanities and University Honors
NR 49315 UH 155 006 MA 3.000 FRSem:Art of Giving Back T 03:00 pm-05:30 pm 15 11 4 0 0 0 Tonya G. Nelson (P) 08/24-12/09 NT 292 Freshmen Seminar and Humanities and University Honors</p>

<p>I could also take Arts and Parody (FA) my first semester for my fine arts req, but that sets me up for taking 6 hours of humanities second semester instead of 3 humanities and 3 FA. This is extremely confusing, I am glad I decided to map out my 8 semesters before my spring semester starts.</p>

<p>* Do you know anything about the following classes (eg. comparison between non-honors humanities and honors as far as time commitment)? The main issue for me is I will have to take two honors courses (one of the below and Eng 103 adv comp) my first semester while I was advised to take just one.:
*</p>

<p>I don’t know about those particular classes, but usually the time commitment between honors and non-honors is not significant. Honors classes are not designed to take more time. Their mission is to be more mind-expanding…not to keep you holed up somewhere studying/writing/etc for a gazillion hours. </p>

<p>One reason why you’re advised to only take one of these frosh seminar classes is due to space demands. These classes only have 15 kids each. If every honors frosh took 2 Frosh Seminar classes, there wouldn’t be enough space for the other honors frosh. </p>

<p>You can still take another honors class in some other area. </p>

<p>I do know about Fine Arts and Parody with Dr. Louise Cary. Great class. Older son took it and loved it. Does require writing and some projects because of the subject matter, but not ridiculous in time demands. It’s a cool class where everyone sits around a big conference table and discusses and views the various art/parody examples presented. Students do presentations as well on parodies that they’ve chosen.</p>

<p>@ JTownatp:</p>

<p>I took the International War Crimes class this past semester, and in my opinion, it was not difficult to balance with my other classes (some of which were Honors). There was of course some work outside of class (mainly reading the book), a research paper, and two quizzes. But most of the course was focused on in-class discussion. I haven’t taken the Judicial Procedure class, but it has the same professor, and I think the format of the class is similar. I spent far more time outside of class on some of my non-honors courses.</p>

<p>I have heard some advisors saying that you shouldn’t take more than one honors class per semester, but neither I nor any of the people I’ve talked with have had problems taking two. I wouldn’t worry about it.</p>

<p>Looking over things I will have to take two honors courses my first semester. Thank you for the information, I believe I will take International War Crimes first semester and Fine Arts and Parody second semester.</p>

<p>I have just one more question! In order for me to take the required Statistics course (ST 260), I have to take the prerequisite CS102. Would it be okay to take CS102 a year before I take ST 260, or do I need the material from CS102 in the front of my brain to do well in ST260?</p>

<p>Just to add in case it comes into play for anyone. If you are in CBHP the computer “languages” that are part of that program actually fulfills the foreign language requirements.</p>

<p>I’m not completely certain - I got credit for ST260 from AP credit, so I didn’t actually take the course. But I can’t imagine that would be too difficult. CS102 really isn’t an intensive course, and if you have reasonable experience with using computers (Windows, Word, etc), you should already be familiar with many of the things covered in the class.</p>

<p>I was wondering where you get the list of honors classes for fall 2013? Are the ones jtownap lists the only honors classes available?</p>