Foreign Language Requirement

<p>What is the foreign language requirement for business majors? Is the foreign language requirement more extensive for those in the honors program?</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>I also have a foreign language question. My oldest S was exempt from his 1 year of foreign language at Virginia Tech because he had taken 4 years of the same foreign lang. in high school. Is that the same for UA? Thanks!</p>

<p>I’m not sure on specifics but I believe it is any foreign language 101-102 or 103 (which combines 101 and 102 into one semester) or they can take 2 computer classes.</p>

<p>*I also have a foreign language question. My oldest S was exempt from his 1 year of foreign language at Virginia Tech because he had taken 4 years of the same foreign lang. in high school. Is that the same for UA? Thanks! *</p>

<p>No. Your son will have to either take a CLEP test (and get credits), or take a placement test and then if he scores high enough, he’ll then take the recommended class and get credit for the courses below.</p>

<p>If your son doesn’t want to take a FL class, then he’d be better off taking the CLEP and get the credit that way.</p>

<p>Does one only have to take one foreign language class or multiple classes? Does one have to take more foreign language classes if you are in the honors program?</p>

<p>For the International Honors Program:
Foreign Language - Each student must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language or complete four courses of college-level work or its equivalent. Students may elect to either major or minor in foreign language, but this is not required.</p>

<pre><code>* Two years of coursework are available in the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Modern Greek, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, and Vietnamese.

• Foreign language courses may be taken at UA, another U.S. university, or overseas.
    </code></pre>

<p>Since my D is “switching” languages from the one taken in HS, she will take 4 semesters of Italian.</p>

<p>Does one only have to take one foreign language class or multiple classes?</p>

<p>If you’ve taken Spanish, French, or German in high school, you can take the 103 version of the language and if you pass, that will count as 2 classes and fulfill the Core Req’t.</p>

<p>However, if you’re strong in your FL, then take the CLEP test and use those credits. Supposedly the CLEP test is easier than the AP version.</p>

<p>I’d also like to point out that unless things have changed with the new catalog, it is okay to use multiple languages to fulfill the language requirement.</p>

<p>Riggo, business majors are only subject to the language requirements specified in the core requirements . IHP requires 4 semesters of a language if you are in that program, which I highly recommend. There are at least two business specializations (international finance and international economics) that require 3 years (6 semesters) of foreign language(s), but those specializations are not required of business majors.</p>

<p>I took both the CLEP and placement test and tested out of the first two years of French (I took 5 years of French in ms and hs). I do recommend taking the CLEP test in whatever language you took in hs assuming you did well in your language classes. It’s not common for hs seniors to take CLEP exams (I remember Dr. Halli of the honors college saying it was more common in the 70’s), but you should have a testing location near you, particularly if you live near a military base.</p>

<p>To find CLEP test locations…</p>

<p>[CLEP</a> Test Center Search](<a href=“http://apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_clep/searchCLEPTestCenter.jsp]CLEP”>http://apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_clep/searchCLEPTestCenter.jsp)</p>

<p>I know there have been several discussions on FL, but if a student had 4 years HS Spanish, and is a proficient, A student. What is the best option:</p>

<p>Taking a placement test at BB
taking the AP exam or
taking a CLEP test?</p>

<p>Will they all get you credits? Pass or fail, or do you get a grade, determined by your scores?
Which do you think is the easiest? Which is the best? If you have NMF scholarship which makes the most financial sense?</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>Do engineers also have a foreign language requirement? I didn’t see that in the curriculum guide (I looked at MechEng).</p>

<p>Speaking of curriculum guides…where can I find a suggested curriculum for a freshman who plans to major in History? (He’ll be minoring in classics, which should take care of his FL requirement…?)</p>

<p>Besides his history and classics classes, what is he expected to take during that first year?</p>

<p>I’ve looked up the UA history offerings, but they cover only history-major requirements, not the other courses that must be taken (especially in freshman year).</p>

<p>Thanks!!!</p>

<p>(And please pardon my ignorance.)</p>

<p>Diane</p>

<p>Diane, in terms of a suggested curriculum, I would suggest that for the first year, have your son complete as many core curriculum requirements as possible, in addition to satisfying the prerequisites for his major programs and completing some of the UHP requirements.</p>

<p>*I know there have been several discussions on FL, but if a student had 4 years HS Spanish, and is a proficient, A student. What is the best option:</p>

taking the AP exam or
taking a CLEP test?</p>

<p>Will they all get you credits? Pass or fail, or do you get a grade, determined by your scores?
Which do you think is the easiest? Which is the best? If you have NMF scholarship which makes the most financial sense?</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>SEA_Tide is our CLEP expert here. :slight_smile: According to him, CLEP is easier than AP for FL…he took French.</p>

<p>We didn’t even know about CLEP, so my younger son did the BB placement exam. He was able to score in the highest band. That meant that all he had to do was take one 300 level course, and upon completion (with a passing grade), he was given credit for that class PLUS credits for 103, 201, and 202. For those extra 3 classes, the school just puts a “P” like they do for AP credits. </p>

<p>the higher the band that you score in, the higher level you can start with …and then you get the lower credits.</p>

<p>Older son didn’t feel confident about his Spanish capabiities (he didn’t have a native speaker for a teacher in HS like younger son did). So, he chose not to do the placement exam and just take SP 103…which once completed counts for 2 classes. Because he’s a math major, he has to do the FL requirement AND the Computer req’t (which CBHP covered). As long as you’ve had 2? 3? years of high school FL, you can take 103 …even if you don’t do the placement test (at least that was the rule when older son was a frosh)</p>

<p>*Do engineers also have a foreign language requirement? I didn’t see that in the curriculum guide (I looked at MechEng). *</p>

<p>I don’t think so. colleges usually do not require engineers to have a FL req’t because they have Computer req’ts and too many other req’ts.</p>

<p>edited to add…here are the Core for Engineering…FL is not required if Computer courses are taken.</p>

<p>BTW…I thought that CS majors followed a different Core Curriculum than engineers, but either that has changed or my memory is bad. LOL</p>

<p>COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING CORE CURRICULUM/GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS</p>

<p>To achieve a general education while pursuing a specific degree program in the College of Engineering, each undergraduate student enrolled in that college will construct a curriculum that includes coursework in the following areas:</p>

<p>6 semester hours of written composition (FC). </p>

<p>6 semester hours in 300- and 400-level courses, preferably in the student’s major, approved for the writing (W) designation. The (W) designation indicates that one of the conditions for a passing grade is that students write coherent, logical and carefully edited prose in a minimum of two papers, at least one of which will be graded and returned before midsemester. All (W) designated courses are taught and graded by instructors who have at least the master’s degree and preferably are limited to an enrollment of no more than 35 students. The (W) requirement must be satisfied with courses taken on this campus. </p>

<p>9 semester hours of humanities (HU), literature (L) and fine arts (FA) area courses. A 6-hour discipline depth study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, and FA or HI and SB. There are no mandatory general education requirements for literature or fine arts, except as required for a specific engineering program. </p>

<p>9 semester hours of courses in the areas of history (HI) and social and behavioral sciences (SB). </p>

<p>A 6-hour discipline depth study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, and FA or HI and SB. </p>

<p>12 semester hours of mathematics (MA) and natural sciences (N) area courses, to include 2 hours of laboratory. Mathematics must be at the MATH 125 level or higher. </p>

<p>**Either 6 hours of foreign language (FL) or computer (C) are required in addition to the humanities requirement. FL courses can count as HU credit if 6 hours of C courses are earned. **Pre-professional, major and/or elective courses applicable to the student’s declared major program of study. Students are to consult with their major departments/program areas for specific course designations that fulfill this requirement.</p>

<p>A course may be used to satisfy only one core requirement. For example, if a course carries a designation for both foreign language (FL) and humanities (HU), it may only be used to satisfy one of these core requirements. An additional course or courses must be completed to satisfy the remaining requirement.</p>

<p>General education credit may be earned for courses taken at another institution, provided the courses transfer as the equivalents of courses that have been approved for general education credit at The University of Alabama. The (W) requirement must be satisfied in courses taken at The University of Alabama.</p>

<p>Ok, I found the following in my older son’s Undergrad Catalog …which I think has been changed…</p>

<p>*Policy on the Core Curriculum. All students in computer science must complete the standard University’s Core Curriculum in order to graduate. CS majors are not allowed to use the Core Curriculum exceptions granted for other engineering majors </p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Lady Diane…</p>

<p>He has Core Curriculum req’ts…</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>To achieve a general education while pursuing a specific concentration in a chosen field of study, each undergraduate student will construct a curriculum that includes coursework in the following areas:</p>

<p>6 semester hours of written composition (FC). </p>

<p>6 semester hours in 300- and 400-level courses, preferably in the student’s major, approved for the writing (W) designation. The (W) designation indicates that one of the conditions for a passing grade is that students write coherent, logical and carefully edited prose in a minimum of two papers, at least one of which will be graded and returned before mid-semester. All (W) designated courses are taught and graded by instructors who have at least the master’s degree and preferably are limited to an enrollment of no more than 35 students. The (W) requirement must be satisfied with courses taken on this campus. </p>

<p>6 semester hours of one of the following:
6 semester hours in courses that are approved for the computer (C) designation. These courses either substantially integrate the application of appropriate software or require writing computer programs. Students must make extensive use of the computer as a condition for passing the course. Courses approved for the (C) designation assume that students have a working knowledge of the computer.
or</p>

<p>2 semesters in one foreign language (FL). A grade of “C” or better must be earned in the first-semester course of the two-semester sequence that fulfills the requirement before the student will be allowed to enroll in the second semester course. Students with two or more high-school units of a foreign language will be assigned to foreign language courses by the foreign language advisors on the basis of placement test scores. Students placed into FR 103, SP 103, or intermediate courses (FR 201, SP 201) will satisfy this requirement in one semester.
Note: These 6 hours are in addition to the requirements for humanities or mathematics.</p>

<p>12 semester hours of courses approved for the humanities and fine arts (HU, L & FA) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the fine arts (FA) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the literature (L) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history. </p>

<p>12 semester hours of courses approved for the history and social and behavioral sciences (HI & SB) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the history (HI) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history. </p>

<p>11 semester hours of courses approved for the natural sciences and mathematics (N & MA) designations, to include 8 semester hours of courses approved for the natural sciences (N) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the mathematics (MA) designation. This mathematics requirement must be satisfied with MATH 110 or higher. </p>

<p>Pre-professional, major and/or elective courses applicable to the student’s declared major program of study. Students are to consult with their major departments/program areas for specific course designations that fulfill this requirement.</p>

<p>A course may be used to satisfy only one core requirement. For example, if a course carries a designation for both foreign language (FL) and humanities (HU), it may only be used to satisfy one of these core requirements. An additional course or courses must be completed to satisfy the remaining requirement.</p>

<p>A student may satisfy some general education course requirements by demonstration of competence on a proficiency examination such as the CLEP subject examination.</p>

<p>Review of general education (core curriculum) courses is an ongoing process. New courses may be approved and added to the list of those that meet core curriculum requirements. The Core designations for existing courses may be discontinued. A course carries general education designation if the course is approved at the time the course is taken. The student must consult the general education designations as found in the appropriate section of the schedule of classes booklet to ensure that the general education designation is in effect at the time the course is taken.</p>

<p>General education credit may be earned for courses taken at another institution, provided the courses transfer as the equivalents of courses that have been approved for general education credit at The University of Alabama. The (W) requirement must be satisfied in courses taken at The University of Alabama.</p>

<p>More for history…</p>

<p>Major courses. The major in history requires successful completion of the following 36 semester hours:</p>

<p>Courses Hours
HY 101 or HY 105 (or HY 110¹) 3
HY 102 or HY 106 3
HY 203 or HY 205 3
HY 204 or HY 206 3
HY 430² 3
Field requirement³ 9
HY electives 12
Total 36 </p>

<p>¹HY 101 or HY 105 is preferred, but HY 110 can substitute. </p>

<p>²A minimum grade of “C” is required to receive credit for HY 430. </p>

<p>³Fields: A minimum of 3 hours from each of the following fields must be completed for a total of 9 hours.
United States History: HY 225, HY 226, HY 295, HY 311, HY 312, HY 313, HY 314, HY 315, 1. HY 316, HY 318, HY 319, HY 320, HY 323, HY 324, HY 325, HY 326, HY 330, HY 337, HY 341, HY 408, HY 409, HY 411, HY 412, HY 413, HY 416, HY 417, HY 421, HY 422, HY 423, HY 424, HY 425, HY 427, HY 428, HY 429, HY 432, or HY 480. Depending on the content, HY 300 and HY 400 can also fulfill this requirement.
European History: HY 235, HY 236, HY 247, HY 248, HY 321, HY 349, HY 353, HY 357, 2. HY 358, HY 361, HY 362, HY 365, HY 385, HY 386, HY 390, HY 393, HY 442, HY 443, HY 444, HY 446, HY 447, HY 448, HY 451, HY 455, HY 481, HY 482, HY 490, HY 491, HY 493, HY 494, or HY 495. Depending on the content, HY 300 and HY 400 can also fulfill this requirement.
African, Asian, or Latin American History: HY 237, HY 238, HY 243, HY 244, HY 306, HY 3. 309, HY 310, HY 377, HY 384, HY 401, HY 402, HY 403, HY 404, HY 405, HY 471, HY 474, HY 475, or HY 476. Depending on the content, HY 300 and HY 400 can also fulfill this requirement. </p>

<p>Upper-level residency. A minimum of 18 semester hours of 300- and 400-level courses in the major must be earned on this campus.</p>

<p>Ancillary courses. The history major does not require ancillary courses. However, it is recommended that students, especially those considering graduate work in history, study at least one foreign language.</p>

<p>Required minor. This major requires the completion of a minor.</p>

<p>Honors program. The history honors program is open to history majors who have a 3.0 overall GPA, a 3.3 GPA in history, and at least 12 hours of history courses completed. The program requires 9 hours of honors work, including HY 399 History Honors Colloquium (usually taken in the junior year) and a 6-hour thesis (HY 498 and HY 499) completed (usually in the senior year) under the direction of a tenured or tenure-track member of the department. Graduation with honors in history requires a 3.0 overall GPA, a 3.3 GPA in history, and satisfactory completion of a thesis judged to merit an honors designation.</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>*I know there have been several discussions on FL, but if a student had 4 years HS Spanish, and is a proficient, A student. What is the best option:</p>

taking the AP exam or
taking a CLEP test?</p>

Which do you think is the easiest? Which is the best? If you have NMF scholarship which makes the most financial sense?*</p>

<p>The benefit of CLEP and AP is that you don’t have to take another class to get credit for the previous classes. With CLEP, I was able to test out of FR 101, 102, 201, and 202, which satisfies my general degree requirements and the IHP language requirements. A passing score on the Spanish Language AP exam only gives credit for 101, while a passing score on the Spanish Literature AP exam gives credit for 101 and 102. With CLEP and the placement exam, you get your scores instantly and the tests are all multiple choice, which is a nice feature, especially for those accustomed to taking AP exams.</p>

<p>mom2ck–thank you! You totally rock!!</p>