Fraternity Life

<p>Can someone tell me what it's like for guys who don't go Greek?</p>

<p>One of the biggest benefits of the Greek community is that you immediately have a built-in social network. I think you can have a fantastic experience at TCU without being a part of the Greek system, but you will have to proactively reach out for those social connections. I think some majors lend themselves to more immediate social situations because of shared interests, i.e., musical theater, music education. If you are uncertain of your major and intend to just take core classes your freshman year, you will have to work a bit harder. A good start would be to look for a roommate that isn’t planning to rush, so that you can both look for other extracurricular activities to join. Keep in mind that the first few weeks of the fall semester are very focused on fraternity rush, and you will probably feel a bit left out, but that will settle down and other activities will become more noticeable as the semester progresses. Your RA will also be a good source of ideas, since he will have been on campus for a while. There are definitely some great options, but you will have to do some work to find the right fit for you.</p>

<p>Thanks SouthernFriedMom. I’m thinking more of guys who go through rush but don’t get into a fraternity. It seems like it is very competitive and a large chunk of guys don’t get in anywhere.</p>

<p>Just like with sorority recruitment, the boys have some fraternities open to them in the Spring. They also can go through as sophomores. Does anyone know if many Juniors go through? </p>

<p>It seems to be about getting to know guys who are officers or on the Recruitment Committee but I’m not really sure. Can anyone else jump in?</p>

<p>My son is a junior now. He had no interest in a fraternity so didn’t do the summer rush deal. He applied for the scholarship offered by Sig Ep and didn’t get the scholarship but did get one of only two bid cards given out…I think the key is getting into the process during the summer because once school starts it’s too late. He did pledge and has really enjoyed it.</p>

<p>So do the boys need to be contacting fraternities before they arrive on campus? Not exactly sure how rush works. How do the fraternities learn about prospective members before they arrive?</p>

<p>MylesCK-As I recall, you can go onto the TCU Greeks web site to find the various fraternities on campus. You register for recruitment there, and I assume your application and photo go to the different frats at that time. Also, each fraternity has a web site and a lot of them have links to register if you are interested in learning more about them. I think a lot of them put up facebook pages for Summer Recruitment too. </p>

<p>Are you OOS or in Texas? I know they host some summer events but I think they are all in Fort Worth. </p>

<p>Can anyone else give some guidance?</p>

<p>@Terri9678
Did your son apply for the scholarship prior to his freshman year?</p>

<p>ca1996, my son was invited to apply for the scholarship right after he was accepted (they may do this for all scholarship/Honors acceptances??). I think it was due mid0summer before Freshman year. He was invited to the banquet and met the guys there and they gave him a bid card during the official rush week. I think he was the only scholarship applicant who hadn’t gone through summer rush – LOL! So, without knowing alot, I’d follow RICE 1961’s advice and get on the sites to explore. I, too, think most everything happens in FW but lots of his fraternity brothers are from OOS and didn’t come to in-person events. Mind you finals start next week so communication may be spotty for a bit.
Also, as to your first question on this thread…my son has non-fraternity friends but so much of the non-football season social life is with the fraternity, I imagine it is a bit more difficult to have a ready-made social life for the entire school-year.</p>

<p>He is OOS. He will need to keep his eyes on the individual sites this summer. He also wants to play a club sport. Will that be too much with pledging and studies?</p>

<p>I can’t speak to that as my son didn’t play a club sport until this year – junior. The fraternities have intermural competitions they take pretty seriously (relatively…lol) and he spent a fair amount of time with that. I also think pledging and time involved varies with the fraternity…some are a bit more intense than others. He’ll can always go through the summer process but end up not committing when that process happens – I think the beginning of second semester??? – if it’s too much.</p>

<p>Official recruitment week for fraternities is the first or second week of school. They will have it up online soon on the TCU Greek website. There is an application to complete and photo to submit. MylesCK, if your son pledges, then he will be very busy in the fall but he can do it. Lots of boys pledge and do other things. The fraternities have a minimum GPA requirement so many of them require library hours for pledges. :slight_smile: I agree with terri9678, go through summer/fall recruitment and give it a whirl!</p>

<p>BTW, while 45-50% of boys are in fraternities, 50% are not in fraternities. It is not the end all be all. There is lots to do on campus: Dorm intramurals, constant sports games, weekly comedy improv shows, an amazing rec center which tons of kids use, a pool, Billy Bob’s on Thursdays at midnight, dorm parties/events. Even the dining hall and library are very social! :)</p>