Fraternity Sigma Tau Gamma expanding

<p>My S mentioned Sigma Tau Gamma is planning to expand. They are looking at the University of Alabama and Auburn as their targets for 2012.</p>

<p>From Wikipedia:
"Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity also named “Sig Tau” or “the Knights” is a U.S. all-male college secret-social fraternity founded on June 28, 1920 at University of Central Missouri.</p>

<p>From STG website:
"Sigma Tau Gamma seeks to expand to leading institutions where potential exists to recruit high performing student leaders. " </p>

<p>Does anyone know anything about this fraternity or the expansion plans-or pros/cons of joining such a fraternity?</p>

<p>I have questions as well - my son is considering joining and I was wondering what the implications are in joining a frat that is just starting a chapter at a school. Neither my husband or myself was part of Greek life in college so we are not much help. Are there other fraternities on UA’s campus without a house, how does it work with meals/social events, etc… I assume there would not be many upperclassmen in a start-up chapter. He had no interest in going Greek until he got down to school (we are OOS) - I thought he would just wait until spring and pledge as a sophomore.</p>

<p>@bamabound07</p>

<p>1)Does anyone know anything about this fraternity or the expansion plans-or pros/cons of joining such a fraternity?</p>

<ul>
<li>Sigma Tau Gamma has been very successful over the past couple weeks of expansion to the University of Alabama. Currently at 45 members we have seen rapid growth and interest in a fraternity that offers a different experience. Sigma Tau Gamma has a couple different things going for them. We believe there is a different way of going about making a tighter brotherhood. Men who join this fraternity do not believe in the current pledge process, which means that your son’s will NOT be asked/forced to do anything that the other fraternities on campus will require to get into their fraternity. Recently, Sigma Tau Gamma placed 2nd out of 13 fraternities at Delta Gamma’s philanthropy event; The Anchor Splash</li>
</ul>

<p>@ILMom2012</p>

<ul>
<li>Going to The University of Alabama as a male and not being involved in Greek Life can be a tough experience. there are plenty of opportunities to be involved and meet people who are also not interested in greek life, but at times it is likely to feel left out, as the greek scene pretty much dominates campus. Being that we are only a colony, we have a lot of work ahead of us, however in no other fraternity on campus will you get to come back to school in 5-10 years, and be able to say I built that. It takes a certain man to be able to stick through this process, however it will be the most rewarding experience of your son’s college career. Being that we do not have a house, we do not have a meal plan specifically for our fraternity. however many of the brothers get together for dinner at least once a week and often more. We also presented ourselves to many sororities on campus and will have social events with them. There are also members with houses and apartments, condos that have parties. There will always be something to do and within 1-2 years we should have a house on campus to call home.</li>
</ul>

<p>If either of you ladies have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me.</p>

<p>My husband was a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon back in the early 1970s when it formed on campus. The chapter later folded, but is attempting to come back.
Being part of a brand-new chapter is a unique experience. Members tend to be a little more mature that the usual fraternity pledge because they have to take on more responsibility and leadership at an earlier stage. That can be a very good experience.
For the first two or three years, the chapter did not have a house. Meetings were held in classrooms. Parties were held in the biggest apartment the members occupied (which happened to be the husband’s apartment).
A couple of years later, the chapter rented a vacated sorority house (yes! They were one of 2 fraternities on sorority row!). However, they did not open the kitchen. Most members bought a meal plan and ate at Tutwiler dorm or elsewhere on campus, such as the Ferg (this was when the Ferg was first built). They also stashed breakfast food and munchies in their rooms. It was an economical way to live.
I don’t believe they had swaps with sororities until they had a house, but where there’s a desire to party, there’s a way!</p>