Theta Tau Engineering Fraternity - what's it like?

I’ve found a few threads on this, but still can’t quite get a feel for what it’s like or if my son would like it. I’d love some input on pros and cons. I get the impression that there are a lot of gamer types? My son is not into gaming, and is not the nerdy type (I mean that in a completely non-judgmental way - my husband is a nerd!), and is very preppy. I think he wouldn’t like it very well if it’s a big gaming culture, or if most people are into gaming (just not his group). He is also not at all into drinking. One of the older posts said that there is very heavy drinking at this house. I had thought maybe it might be different from traditional frats in this manner, but maybe not.

I like that it sounds like no hazing.

Can anyone tell me about how many members there are, and how many of those live in the house?

Thank you!

Curious to know as well.

My son isn’t a member (says it’s not for him), but there are several parents in the Engineering parent FB group whose kids are, and they all seem to love it. The ones I know of don’t seem like big-time gamers either, but I suppose they could be the exceptions.

If you’re not already a member and your child has been accepted to UA (not necessary for them to have made a final decision), you are welcome to join. Search FB for “The University of Alabama College of Engineering Parents Group” and request to join. (And don’t forget to look in your “Message Request” folder because requests are screened.)

My son is in Theta Tau. He does not drink and is not a gamer. He was not hazed at all, Theta Tau is coed so you will have fraternity brothers that are women. In my opinion it was a very smart choice for him. The dues are pretty low - about $500 per semester - and great resources are available to help you in your studies e.g. old tests, upperclassmen. I suggest people should check it out to see if it is a fit for them.

This was a male-only professional fraternity back when I was a student, but it’s now co-ed, as noted above. While it does have a professional aspect, it is much more of a social group than most pro groups.There are parties, even swaps (from what I remember), and members really seem to enjoy that part very much. It also fits in with an engineering student’s schedule better than sometimes a regular fraternity does. All personalities are welcome, especially that special engineering type! They have a house, but it’s small, university-owned and only has a few places for live-in members.