Engineering fraternity

<p>Son and his friends just got emails inviting them to join an engineering fraternity. It has a Greek name, but is a professional, not a social, fraternity.</p>

<p>Do any of the engineering students on this board belong to this organization?</p>

<p>And those non engineers, do any of you belong to similar ones for your major?</p>

<p>They did mention at Bama Bound that there were student organizations that may seem to be frats because of their Greek names, but that they were actually professional networking organizations.</p>

<p>Maybe son can check them out during the event when all the organizations have tables set up. What’s that event called?</p>

<p>Get on Board Day.</p>

<p>They have a house near Bryant Hall, they have recruitment, they have socials, they have those yearly portrait galleries that all the frats have, so I’d say guess it’s a hybrid of social and professional fraternity. It’s coed as well. </p>

<p>I knew people who are in it. It’s seems good if you want something resembling a fraternity/sorority experience, but need one that understands what a major that doesn’t have built-in four day weekends is like.</p>

<p>Montegut:</p>

<p>My daughter will be a junior and has been a member of the business fraternity. All I can say it has been very much worthwhile. Great for networking. Definitely recommended.</p>

<p>Thank you Montegut for bringing this up. My S was mentioning this the other night at dinner and we were also wondering what type of “fraternity” it was. Sounds a little like a good cooperative/mentoring/networking type emphasis. I’ll see if he can learn more about it next week at Bama Bound. Will post what we hear. Does anyone know if this is a frat they have to “rush” during AA? S could have a conflict with that.</p>

<p>Oh, thanks for bringing up that word, Rush. I’m guessing this is one of those groups son will have to have one of those nice outfits for. Son is also doing Alabama Action, so hope there won’t be a conflict as well.</p>

<p>If it’s an opportunity for getting some mentoring, homework help, and leads on job and research opportunities, I think it would be a great opportunity.</p>

<p>Someone mentioned a house near Bryant Hall. What do you mean by that? Is it an actual house where members can live as upperclassmen? Or is it just a place where they have social events and meetings?</p>

<p>Socal, please do let us know if you hear anything about it at Bama Bound. </p>

<p>Lord knows, engineering is a tough major, and I think it would be great to have a support group in place.</p>

<p>From my experience, the “alternative” fraternities (business, honors, engineering, the like) have informational meetings and rush much later in the year than the formal Rush. Several of these fraternities have tables up on Get on Board Day, so I’d look then.</p>

<p>They have an actual house that the upperclassmen can live in. Not as huge the traditional fraternity house.</p>

<p>^^^That’s good to know. I’m a member of two academic fraternities (one for business), but those didn’t involve any sort of rushing. Judging by the amount of e-mails I get about different business fraternities and clubs, it seems that they are quite popular. It’s definitely one area I need to learn more about.</p>

<p>I think its just supposed to be a sort of social fraternity for engineers.</p>

<p>Sounds like all the benefits of a fraternity plus, with far fewer of the downsides…</p>

<p>This fraternity sounds perfect for my D, who is in engineering. A few questions though, because I could not find anything on AU’s web site about it. Is it both male and female, as someone suggested? What is the name of this fraternity? Is it by invitation only? How could my D find more info about it?</p>

<p>The name of the engineering fraternity is Theta Tau. here is the link to the website.
[Welcome</a> to Theta Tau - Mu Chapter](<a href=“http://www.muthetatau.org/main/]Welcome”>http://www.muthetatau.org/main/)
They are coed, but im not sure how they rush or recruit. I know that when they recruit they hold parties/“game nights” where they invite almost everyone. But Im not sure about much else, never really had much interest.
Oh and here is the wikipedia article: <a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta_Tau[/url]”>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta_Tau&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I was a member of Theta Tau when I was at Bama so I could probably shed a little light. I know the chapter has been trying to get more active in campus activities like Bama Bound because we are relatively unknown on campus especially compared to all of the big name social frats in the vicinity. And I admit that I initially got hooked in on a game night because personally, it was just to hard for me to resist a Halo tourney ha. Mid-semester game nights are open to the entire university because like I said, we are trying to increase our presence on campus and more people make game nights a lot of fun. We either have them at the house, the Ferguson center, or at the Riverside complex.</p>

<p>Anyway, rush period varies from semester to semester according to the wishes of the rush chair but they typically last 2-4 weeks at the beginning of each semester and anybody who shows a considerable amount of interest such as showing up to multiple rush events (which for the fall semester would probably include a game night, volleyball tourney on the volleyball court adjacent to the house, meet and greet, anything else the rush chair comes up with) or just hanging around the house gets an invite with pinning on the following Friday. We put up flyers in all of the engineering buildings (SEC, Hardaway, Houser, MIB, etc) as well as Gordon Palmer (home of the math department).</p>

<p>What I liked best about Theta Tau was that you get the best of both worlds. As a professional fraternity, we hold professional development workshops where a speaker comes in to talk about resume building and presentation, networking, general motivation, career opportunities available upon graduation and general discussion about recent news in their respective industries, etc. But as engineers we know how hard classes can be so usually every weekend its a time to unwind by having little socials or the 1-2 huge parties that we have every semester.</p>

<p>I will admit that in the past we have kinda exemplified the nerdy stereotypes as people who play a lot of games or study hardcore, but members from recent pledge classes have made significant attempts to separate the chapter from those stereotypes. But personally I had no problem with the so-called nerdiness even though I was a very active type in high school (v baseball and football, jv basketball, cross country, track, countless ultimate frisbee games). Being surrounded by a large range of engineering majors is not exactly a bad situation to be in whenever you need help for a class and you’re bound to learn something new every week just from being around them.</p>

<p>Everybody there has their quirks and perks and in the past there have been some love/hate relationships between a few people, but those small negatives were completely overshadowed by the all of the fun and diverse learning experiences I had while there and the lifelong friends I have made. Plus, noting that you are a member of the nation’s largest and oldest professional engineering fraternity doesn’t hurt your resume either…</p>

<p>So yeah, you basically get all of the benefits of a professional (or social) frat without the negatives of a social one. Pledges do some of the activities that pledges in other frats do such as helping clean up the house or picking up stadium cups after games, but no parent has to worry about their son or daughter being hazed.</p>

<p>Sorry, that post was a lot longer than I intended it to be</p>

<p>But a couple more things</p>

<ul>
<li><p>We don’t make our pledges dress up unless it’s a special event in which case all of the members do the same. Business casual is usually the standard</p></li>
<li><p>Bryant Hall is directly across the parking lot behind the house but we are also in the ideal location for buildings engineering students would often use. Gordon Palmer is literally right across the street, the science library and the SEC is a 5 minute walk at best if you’re just strolling, and then the next closest buildings are Hardaway, Houser, MIB, and the building besides MIB (I never had a class there personally) being the farthest at about a 10 minute walk.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>Thanks for the personal insights on Theta Tau, I’ll be passing it on to S.</p>

<p>Thank you, also, mac. Sounds like a really great group. I’ll pass this on to my son as well.</p>

<p>No problem</p>

<p>Anyone have a student attend the first social (rush event)? Curious as to what they thought.</p>

<p>Yes, S went and enjoyed it, “a nice group of people.” Can see how it would be good on several levels, social, mentoring and interacting with others in similar (yet different) goals. Opens you up to areas you may not have been aware of. He definitely wants to get more information about joining.</p>