Frats v Non-Frats

<p>One of the hesitations I have on going here is the heavy frat presence, which I heard is about 80% of the school. I am a big partier, but do not want to join a frat, thinking it would be better to meet a wide variety of people at school, rather than just limit myself to a homogeneous type of person, similar to myself. However, I heard that if you aren’t a member of a frat, you are limited in the amount of parties, social events, ability to meet people, etc.</p>

<p>Help!! (and comments, please).</p>

<p>I don't know about that 80% estimate. According to the General Fraternity and Sorrority Information booklet (<a href="http://www.union.arizona.edu/csil/greek/FratSor_general_info.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.union.arizona.edu/csil/greek/FratSor_general_info.pdf&lt;/a&gt;) "Over 3,000 students are members of the 50 fraternities and sorrorities at the UA." With an undergrad population of more than 28,000 students, that's closer to 11%, not 80%.</p>

<p>Another way to think about it is that there are 5800 students living in dorms and a significant number of students living in houses around campus vs. at most 3,000 students living in fraternities and sorrorities on or around campus. In other words, at most about 1/3 of the students living on or around campus are Greek.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if you are a big partier, you will find most of the parties at the frat houses.</p>

<p>Thanks, I probably heard wrong. I think someone said that 80% of the parties are greek oriented (not that 80% of the students are greek). Will someone who is not in a frat feel left out or have less choices when it comes to parties? I don't want anyone to think I am just going to school to party, but partying is a fact of life in a college student's spare time. Also, can anyone tell me the differnce between all of the frats on campus.</p>

<p>one of the things that i hate about u of a is the greek system
(i am in a fraternity and enjoy it, but i dislike the system in general)
you are definitely limited if you are not in a fraternity.</p>

<p>kidfromohio, what do you dislike about the system?</p>

<p>Im not in a frat and I do not feel limited. I have a lot of friends with apartments and houses and I party over there.</p>