Freshman Move In - Fall 2019 Discussion

August 21-24?

According to the website:

Wednesday - Friday, August 21-23, 2019 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily (if you would like assistance unloading your stuff from your car)

Saturday, August 24, 2019, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m (no assistance for unloading)

Official VT Move In Information Site - https://www.housing.vt.edu/experience/moveinmoveout/details.html

Official - What to Bring for Virginia Tech (from 2019 mailer - Residence Hall Federation of Virginia Tech):

BEDDING
O Extra-Long Twin Sheets
O Comforter
O Mattress Pad
O Pillow(s) and Pillow Cases
O Blanket

BATH
O Towels and Washcloths
O Shower Shoes/Flip Flops
O Shower Caddy

STORAGE AND ORGANIZATION
O Hanging Storage Solutions
O Underbed Storage Organizer
O Hangers
O Mirror-Full Length
O Trash/Recycle Can
O Trunk (convenient storage and table in one)

LAUNDRY/SUPPLIES
O Laundry Bag/Basket
O HE Detergent
O Drying Rack
O Iron (auto shut-off)/lroning Board
O Cleaning Supplies
O Paper Towels

GROOMING/PERSONAL SUPPLIES
O Soaps/Shampoo
O Toothbrush/Toothpaste
O Hair Products/Hair Dryer
O First Aid Kit
O Thermometer
O Prescription/OTC Medications

STUDY
O Notebooks, binders, folders
O Computer/Laptop
O Laptop’s Charger and Locking Cable

ROOM COMFORT
O Desk Lamp & Bulbs
O Floor Lamp & Bulbs
O Refrigerator (max 4.5 cubic feet 2.0 amp)
O Wall Décor
O Area Rug
O Fan (large and/or clip)

ELECTRONICS
O Cell Phone & Charger
O Ear Buds/Headphones
O Gaming System
O Power Strip w/Surge Protector (UL approved)
O TV (w/remote and user manual)
O TV coaxial cable (6-10 feet)

MISCELLANEOUS USEFUL ITEMS
O Backpack
O Message Board (Dry erase board)
O Flashlight/Batteries
O Sealable Food Storage Containers
O Dishware/Silverware
O Can Opener
O Reusable Water Bottle
O Water Filter Pitcher
O Umbrella/Raingear
O Sports Equipment (ex. bicycle, rackets, balls)
O Sunglasses

PERSONAL INFORMATION
O ATM Card
O Credit Cards
O Driver License
O Insurance Cards
O Passport/Visa
O Lock Box

VT’s list is one of the better ones. If you search over on the parent’s forum there was a big thread I saw last year that had some really good recommendations on what to take and not to take. Here’s some things that worked out really well for S and his friends:

• Long USB cord (VT's wi-fi is really fast, but if you want to connect directly the internet port may be on the opposite side of the room from your bed/desk)
  • Long cord (10 ft.) power strip w/ surge. (Helps so the power strip ports can be more centrally located in the room)
  • Clip on light (worked well in conjunction with night stand shelf from College Savers)
  • Over door hanging shoe bag
  • Zip ties of various sizes
  • Air fresheners (car clip on's you can put on fans & free standing)
  • Fans, fans, fans. Best circulation setup I saw was 2 box fans in window (one pulling out, the other pulling in) + desktop oscillating + floor standing oscillating.* -Bungie chair or folding chair.
  • Area rug helped with "dorm echo" and overall comfort

*This is if your residence hall does not have A/C. Although I have heard even with A/C some kind of fan can be useful.

CollegeSavers has hutches and mounted nightstand shelves that you can rent or buy and they bring to campus for you to pick up on move in day. My Campus Market is a good source for relatively inexpensive area rugs - they have them pre-sized based on the residence hall and deliver to the room before move-in.

@ShenVal18 - do you mean long Ethernet cable (that’s a good idea). And long powerstip too. May wait until we get there on that and grab when we make a Walmart run once room setup.

I purchased 2 box fans for my son. I got an area rug - Home Depot online had a good selection of VT logo rugs.

I didn’t get an iron (figure he will never use). I did get a steamer on sale at Target (which he still probably will never use).

The item I got that I wonder if he will ever use is a small safe that can fit his laptop etc. (Amazon Basic one).

Others I purchase not on list that I have in a footlocker for him are:
Cards
Paper Towel holder (command strip for wall)
Soap dispenser (stick on wall kind to for at sink with soap refill)
refrig/microwave stand - got at target to fit over dorm fridge and hold microwave on top with room for kitchen essentials
small printer/scanner combo - with replacement ink cartridge

I know I’ve gone overkill already! I had like 2 weeks where Amazon was showing up about every day with something (all packed in his footlocker).

@cbl1 Yeah, ethernet is what I meant. I was thinking USB as it related to a printer - you’ll want to make sure you have a USB, as VT does not allow you to use wi-fi for printing.

I don’t think any of S’s female friends even bothered with an iron. I know one had a portable steamer.

We opted for a lockbox w/ cable to keep cash, passport, financial and medical power of attorney docs and wallet in. Theft incidents seem to be pretty minimal, and since S knew his roommate before VT we didn’t go with a laptop safe. I know others who did. Pretty much as long as they close their room door behind them whenever both roommates are gone there’s almost zero chance for theft (they need HokieP and enter a code to open their door).

If you have room, bring bottled water, soft drinks, etc. with you. We did 1st day of move in and Kroger was a mad house.

@ShenVal18 I didn’t think about the fact the stores would be a mad house with everyone moving in. I guess we should make a run to Costco the day before we leave and get some food/drink basics. I do have a water filtration pitcher packed.

I threw a usb printer cable in for good measure (but I’m pretty sure his laptop will print via direct wireless connection). But good to have as a backup. I don’t know they have to do a lot of printing but I would think the scanning function would be useful at times.

The only items my S said put in case was - duct tape

Duct tape is a must. Zip ties were used a lot also. And command hooks.

Kroger’s bottled water aisle looked like a NoVa grocery store the day before a 2 foot snowstorm was forecasted.

I’ve got a bunch of command strip stuff - but will add in Zip ties.

Letter to students sent out today with important housing information:

Congratulations and welcome to the Hokie family! As you can imagine, we are eager to welcome you to campus this summer for orientation. The first day of move-in, Wednesday, August 21, will be here in the blink of an eye.

For those of you participating in the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets, welcome! You will receive additional information from the commandant’s office regarding move-in and housing details separately.
With college decision day behind us, we are celebrating the number of students who have accepted our admission offer and committed to Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech’s demand has never been stronger.
Since Virginia Tech anticipates a large first-year class, there are several important matters related to university housing that are critical for you to understand.

1. By June 1, 2019 at 5:00 pm, all incoming students expecting university housing must complete their housing contract in the StarRez Portal. For your housing contract to be final, you must electronically sign the contract. You will receive a confirmation email to your @vt.edu email address and you can view the confirmation in the portal. If you do not complete your contract by the deadline, you will not receive on-campus housing and the guarantee of first-year housing will be voided.

2. If you’ve are considering participation in a living-learning program, now is the time to apply. Students accepted into these programs receive priority assignment and are guaranteed on-campus housing. By June 1, 2019 at 5:00 pm, please ensure your living-learning program application is complete. If you have already completed your contract and are now interested in a living-learning program you can still apply in the StarRez portal until the deadline. More information can be found www.llc.vt.edu or by emailing livinglearning@vt.edu.

3. For this academic year only, we are waiving the first-year residency requirement for students interested in living off campus. If this is of interest to you, you must apply for a waiver in the StarRez portal by 5:00 pm on June 1, 2019. If you and your preferred roommate are considering off-campus housing together, we will consider your applications concurrently. To apply for a waiver, log into the StarRez Portal, select Online Forms from the menu, and then First-Year Residency Requirement Waiver Request and follow on-screen instructions. This waiver is not available for members of the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. We have confirmed that there is significant availability of off-campus housing at this point. The Virginia Tech Off-Campus Housing (VTOCH) Office is an important campus resource; they will be glad to assist you in identifying non-university housing options within the community.? You can contact VTOCH by phone at 540.231.3466 or by email to vtoch@vt.edu. Their website is www.campuslife.vt.edu/vtoch.

Sincerely,
Frances B. Keene, Ph.D.
Interim Director, Housing and Residence Life

Official Move-In need to knows from Virginia Tech - including move-in map by dorm

https://www.housing.vt.edu/experience/moveinmoveout.html

New VT website just for information for Class of 2023

https://vt.edu/vt23.html

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that I’m gonna be a Hokie Helper on move-in day. Being a transfer student myself, can’t wait to see all the new faces (including the 1,600 extra students)!

Do yourselves a favor and find @ak2018 and his/her other helpers when you move in. You’ll be glad you did, Here’s another little trick:

Last year there were long lines to checkout the large laundry bins to throw all your stuff into. Scope out the entry/exit point for your residence hall and try to catch someone who’s dropped their stuff off and is taking the bin back. Offer to take it off their hands. Viola. Did this last year and with help of 3 HH’s our time from parked car to into dorm was under 10 minutes.

@ak2018 I assume you wouldn’t know yet dorm you will helping at.

@ShenVal18 Yup, that’s what we’re here for. :slight_smile:

@cb1 They’ll tell us in August where we’ll be stationed. All I know is I’ll be volunteering on Wednesday and Friday from 1:30pm - 5:30pm since I’m going to the late orientation on Thursday.

Of course we doing move in Wednesday morning.

In your experience is there a better time to come in that isn’t crowded. Like is 8am not crowded or does everyone try to hit the early start?

@cbl1 We did move in on Wednesday last year, first thing in the morning. People were already parked and unloading at 7:45 when we drove over from the hotel (we stayed the night before). From what I could tell, it was crowded pretty much all day, but manageable. Just expect a little chaos and everything should go fine.

Pro tip: The students get their Hokie passports at orientation. They use these as their room keys. When my son was starting in 2016 he was able to gain dorm access the night before. I would not be moving anything in but it’s nice to be able to loft the bed and clean the room the night before. Most beds will need to be lofted and the safety rail is usually in the room. You can put in a work order for one if it’s not. My son’s room freshman year was so small you could not put a bed cross wise in the room. Bring a pool noodle or pipe insulator and some electrical ties to pad the steel bed rail. They put their desks under the bed.

What dorm was he in?