Freshman review honors college

<p>does anyone know what the chances are of being admitted into the honors college through freshman review if i was at first rejected? my sat is good but gpa not so much
sat:
Ctr: 580 Math: 690 Writing: 740
GPA-3.2 (huge upward trend since horrific first 2 years)</p>

<p>Why would you want to join the Honors College?</p>

<p>"Why would you want to join the Honors College? "</p>

<p>Aside from the fee there’s pretty much no downside because at least you get priority reg.</p>

<p>With that said, I don’t think your stats are high enough. It’s a volume processing job so they (admissions + honors) are just going look at your SAT and GPA and plug them into an “accept/reject” formula.</p>

<p>Because it is now just kind of a joke, its an extra 500 dollars a semester for priority registration and that is all the honors college provides. Some of the departments actually view the honors students as snobby and would prefer to not have them, so be careful about making that choice. I have many students here that tell me even honors classes are overcrowded and of course taught by grad students, you dont see a professor. If you are truly an honors type student, this is definatly not the school for you.</p>

<p>You’re wrong in a few facts and your post largely comes off as bitter (did your kid not get accepted or something?). It’s $500 a year, not semester. The fee is also new so for continuing students, paying only 1 or 2 years of a fee doesn’t matter. Next, unless I’m actually taking an honors class, professors don’t even know I’m in the program. There’s a lot of students in every department as well, so thinking that they’re “out to get rid of you” because you’re honors is just silly thinking. The “snobby” bias is more likely than not either total BS or an isolated incident…otherwise cite your source.</p>

<p>As far as I know there’s very few dedicated “honors” classes. In most cases you’re in the same lectures as all the other non-honors kids, but have honors discussions and some slightly different homework / term paper requirements. I’ve only had one class like this, and the discussion was specifically led by the <em>professor</em> whereas the non-honors were led by grad students. I’ve also taken SIE 305H and it only had 5 kids in it including myself (required class for nearly all ENGR majors). HNRS 200 and ENGR 102H were fairly normal sized (20-30 people), but both had top of the department professors.</p>

<p>And my diploma will at least say “Cum Laude with Honors” (cum laude is the minimum GPA - 3.5 - to stay in honors). To me that at least makes it somewhat worth it. But no honors college is going to substitute for moving up to a higher tier university…ie honors @ UA doesn’t = Stanford regular.</p>

<p>So yes, honors is mostly like minoring in something…not really useful but you might be bothered to do it anyways.</p>

<p>I’m in concurrence with UAKid as far as the classes go. Most of mine have been held with other non-Honors students in conjunction with an Honors-only discussion section. Most have also been taught by professors, but occasionally a TA will lead the discussion.</p>

<p>I haven’t experienced any kind of snobbishness inside the Honors College. It’s hardly a rigorous curriculum, though. Membership probably isn’t worth the $500, but I’m half way through my fulfillment and will use the designation on scholarship applications, resumes, etc.</p>