Freshman year at UD? Nervous!

<p>I know Nursing is a challenging major in general and UD has a great nursing program. I just want to know more info. on how hard freshman year as a nursing student actually is. Sorry if that's a bit vague but any information helps! How you managed your time, the exams, the studying, etc.</p>

<p>I would recommend that you also post this thread on UD’s CC site. You might have a better chance of geting more specific responses.</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>I can give you some responses based on my D’s experience with the UD Nursing curriculum. The first semester is probably the easiest semester you will have. As you will have had anatomy in the second semester of your sr. year of HS (noted in another of your posts) this course should not be too tough. The same for Chemistry (but it is not an easy course). Introductory BIO will probably be the toughest course depending on the professor you get. This BIO course is the same course bio and premed majors take so it is very intense. The Intro Nursing course (New Student Connections) involves writing at least one paper. You must use the APA format for all Nursing papers at UD (you will be writing a lot of them) so you might want to begin to familarize yourself with this format (it is a royal PIA).</p>

<p>The second semester is tougher with the 4 credit Physiology and the 5 credit Bioorganic Chemistry courses. You must take General Psychology in either the first or second semester. This can also be a tough course so I would recommend taking it in your first semester if possible. This semester can also be tougher if you plan on joining a sorority at UD. This can take up a lot of time but it can be done if you budget your time well. Good study habits/scheduling of time are critical from day 1. You don’t want to fall behind in any of the courses. I would recommend studying in the library as there are less distractions there (and there is a small cafe there so you don’t have to go out to get a snack). While some courses administerd by other disciplines at UD are curved grade-wise you should be aware that Nursing specific courses at UD are not curved. You are expected to meet minimal acceptable standards or you will not pass the course. </p>

<p>Hope this info is helpful. If you have any other specific questions about UD Nursing please feel free to ask or PM me. Best of luck to you. Congrats on your acceptance to the Nursing Program.</p>

<p>Thank you so much!! I’ve never been good at Bio but I took the AP is hopes that when I take it next year, I could at least have some knowledge. Also, I’m taking APs in chem, stat, and psych. Even if I do get credit for Chem, I’m thinking of just taking the class anyways. However, Stat and Psych are easier for me. If I get credit for them, do I just go on to the next higher course?</p>

<p>Some majors at UD will not allow AP credit for certain courses that are required as part of a student’s major curriculum. I do not recall if Nursing is one of them so you would need to check with the Nursing Dept. about this. In any event taking Chemistry your first semester might be a good idea to help prepare you for the much tougher Bioorganic Chemistry class in your second semester. If you can get AP credit for Psychology and Statistics I do not believe you would be required to take any higher level of courses in these subject areas. One thing, however, to keep in mind regarding Statistics is that if you are planning on going to Nursing Grad School in the future that a number of such Programs require students to have completed a college level Statistics course or they must take a Statistics course as an additional course in their Grad Program (or pror to their entry). So it might just be in your best interests to take the course at UD. If you can get AP credit for Psychology you will then take a General Ed course in your first semester and you then actually can take 3 less credits your second semester. This would allow you more time to deal with the tougher second semester courses and also would allow you to have more time to do some other things (i.e. joining a sorority, etc.) before your time will become much more limited. These are, of course, just my perspectives based upon our D’s experiences with the UD Nursing Program. I would recommend that you discuss all these issues in greater detail with your UD Nursing advisor when you go for New Student Orientation in June/July. Things will only get tougher once you procede to your sophomore year. Again best of luck to you. While you will certainly be challenged in UD’s Nursing Program I’m sure that once you are done you will appreciate it. The quality of the Nursing Program at UD is on par with any Nursing Program in the US.</p>

<p>Thank you so much :slight_smile: I definitely have a better idea now. I was planning on skipping Stat in college but if it’s required for Grad then I guess I can’t. Thank you for your input!</p>