Full Ride as NMF?

<p>Is it possible to get a full ride at TAMU if you are a national merit finalist? I know that they give the equivalent of full tuition, but I was wondering if other scholarships are easily obtained by NMFs. Also, I have a 36 ACT and a 2330 SAT, so would that help?</p>

<p>Yes, indeed. Some NMF’s get a free ride and then some. And yes, your test scores should help. Of course, many things are taken into consideration, not just test scores. But yes, it’s definitely possible. Best of luck to you! :)</p>

<p>I did get some need-based money, but I am an OOS student at A&M with a full ride. Keeping it is the tough part - the require you to keep a 3.5 GPA, and at least for me, that’s been very stressful.</p>

<p>@indianboy2400. I would not expect a full ride. Your stats are comparable with my son’s, who was also a NMF and passed 15 AP exams with mostly fives. I also have corresponded with several other NMF parents. The bottom line is that you will likely still pay room and board, around $10,000 a year, plus your books and other essentials.</p>

<p>^ True that. It is not something to expect, indianboy2400. But it is possible. It does happen for some. It will depend on a lot more than test scores. I personally know more than a handful of free-ride NMF’s. But I know many, many more who don’t have a free-ride. Still, whether you get a free ride or not, TAMU’s scholarship package for NMF’s is nothing to sneeze at!</p>

<p>You do have excellent extracurriculars. (I checked you out on another thread.) Also, there are additional merit scholarships you will be able to apply for after your first semester. What do you intend to study? My son is in Engineering and loves it. For reference, he was also accepted to Michigan, Purdue, Georgia Tech, and Rose-Hullman. A&M is an outstanding engineering school and getting better every year.</p>

<p>Georgia Tech and Purdue do have some full rides available.</p>

<p>@Beaudreau‌ I also intend to study engineering (ChemE), and possibly pre-med. I also plan on applying to schools like Georgia Tech, Purdue, and UIUC, as well as Caltech, MIT, and Stanford.</p>

<p>@‌indianboy2400. My brother’s roommate also intends to study ChemE. A&M is number 15 there. You might also think about Petroleum Engineering, where A&M is number 2. FYI, at A&M you indicate an engineering preference on your application, but have to apply for actual admission into your engineering major after a term or two. A&M is pouring money into engineering, and is second only to M.I.T. in receiving research funding for engineering. Another plus is the Aggie Network. Aggie grads are fanatics when it comes to helping other Aggies find jobs.</p>

<p>You should also consider Minnesota. They are number three in Chemical Engineering. OOS tuition is the lowest in the Big Ten and they have some merit aid. My second son is applying there.</p>

<p>We have visited every school on your list, except M.I.T., and also Michigan and Cal Berkeley They are all great schools! If you would like to get my impressions of any of these schools, please let me know.</p>

<p>I assume that you intend to get all your applications completed and submitted by the end of October, which is the typical deadline for merit aid. Texas A&M has rolling admissions without a firm deadline, but you still shouldn’t wait too long. As a NMF, you will be an automatic Academic Admit and should get your acceptance letter within two weeks.</p>

<p>indianboy2400, from your list of schools, my son applied to just MIT. He was accepted early action there. We visited MIT for 4 full days after his acceptance. I don’t know if there’s anything helpful I can share with you about it, or about my son’s decision to choose A&M over MIT. It was a very tough choice! You’ll surely want to experience MIT for yourself if you get in. It was a wonderful visit and it’s a wonderful school, obviously. But my son has never looked back after choosing A&M. He’s been very, very happy there! Anyway, if there’s anything I can add, feel free to PM me. :)</p>

<p>It is possible, but not especially common. As far as keeping the GPA goes…we tried to take it easy the first year to get a nice solid baseline GPA. My D is a Jr. now. She has been very well taken care of by A&M. She has been able to shine in her department and is being considered for National level awards. I can’t say enough about her experience. It has been excellent.</p>

<p>@indianboy2400, did you get my response to your PM? Was it helpful?</p>