<p>Bed size/type: </p>

<p>Honors or non-Honors</p>

<p>Pros:</p>

<p>Cons:</p>

<p>Amenities inside the dorm room/suite: </p>

<p>Amenities in or near Hall:</p>

<p>Residence Hall: Tutwiler</p>

<p>Location (North Campus? South Campus? etc) South</p>

<p>Dining Hall(s) nearby: Julia’s Market located inside building. Dining hall closest: Not sure as D does not use. Maybe Lakeside</p>

<p>Male, Female, or Co-ed: Female</p>

<p>Standard Double, Traditional Suites, or Super Suites:
Standard tradtional dorm.</p>

<p>Bed size/type: Twin</p>

<p>Honors or non-Honors: Non-honors but several in Honors that reside there</p>

<p>Pros:
Close to Sorority Row, Bryant-Denny, The Strip, Quad. Julia’s Market, SupeStore with textbooks, Math Lab all located inside building.</p>

<p>Cons: Community bathrooms. Old. Slow elevators and only those living 6th floor and up are supposed to use them. Don’t leave your laundry unattended. Some of the pranks and antics that go on. A/C. </p>

<p>Amenities inside the dorm room/suite: LOL!!! Bare bones. Builtin closets and 1 builtin desk. </p>

<p>Amenities in or near Hall: Julia’s Market and SupeStore located in building. Laundry room, printer, copiers located on 1st floor. Sorority Row & Bryant-Denny across the street. </p>

<p>Rumor: To be torn down and replaced with a newer dorm building at some point. Rumor is next 1-2 years. </p>

<p>D wanted to live in a traditional dorm and even with the cons she said she would still not live anywhere else. She has meet a lot of friends in the building and it is convienent for the girls to meetup before going somewhere.</p>

<p>Closest dining hall to Tutwiler is Mary Burke.
Re: teardown - there have been rumors that Paty Hal will be torn down. There have been rumors for 40 years!! With the current popularity of sororities, I doubt they’ll touch Tutwiler for a long, long time.</p>

<p>The reason that people keep hearing that Tutwiler will be torn down is because people confuse Tutwiler and Temple-Tutwiler. Temple-Tutwiler (next to the AOPi house) is in fact scheduled for demolition as part of the expansion of the AOPi and Kappa Alpha Theta houses. Tutwiler is not scheduled for demolition on the current campus Master Plan.</p>

<p>Yes, it has been a rumor for awhile and will probably always be a rumor until they do tear it down. However, I can not see them keeping it for too long. It is in a sad shape on the inside, imho. A very sad shape. There are several hazards that would be of concern if my student were on a higher floor that I know would not pass code and do not know how it has not been shutdown by the city. Then again, I’ve seen some issues with brand new off campus housing that there is no way it can pass city code unless Tuscaloosa is very loose on what they allow for a room that is labeled a “Bedroom”. If you look on page 53 of the Master Plan there is a proposed something in the back of the current parking lot of Tut. Based on what that same color in other areas represents it looks like proposed new housing.<br>
I’m sure someday Tut will be coming down.</p>

<p>I agree with Txnewcollegemom! Tut should come down! D lived on 8th floor last year and was miserable due to the high heat from the heating system during the winter. They have NO control over the AC or heat in their rooms. The building is in bad shape and the bathrooms are deplorable! </p>

<p>I did, however, feel safe in that it was a female only resident hall and they are very strict with male visitors. Males must leave an id and have a curfew.</p>

<p>My daughter will be a freshman next fall and is adamant about living in Tutwiler instead of the honors dorms. She wants the full college dorm experience, she says. She is also planning to go through sorority recruitment so proximity to the sorority houses is also a factor. She’s already lined up a roommate (she thinks) and is doing her research - she has told me she wants to be sixth floor or under, even # room to be on the side facing the stadium. She paid her housing deposit within 30 mins of opening so hopefully she’ll be able to select a room she wants. Any other Tutwiler hints? :)</p>

<p>Residence Hall: Presidential Village
Co-Ed Dorms
Super Suites, four bedrooms, community living room, 2 bathrooms in each room
Bed Type: Twin Extra Long with beds that are able to be lofted at various heights
Non Honors, however, honor students live here
Pros: New and Clean, Large Laundry Rooms, Community Kitchen Area, Numerous Campus Events are held on the 7th Floor
Cons: Furthest dorm on Campus
Amenities: inside room Full Refrigerators, Microwave, Sink, Several Cabinets in kitchen area, LARGE closets
Amenities: outside room Grills in the courtyard</p>

<p>Residence Hall: Friedman</p>

<p>Location: Near Publix (that’s how I describe it to people)</p>

<p>Dining Hall(s) nearby: Fresh Foods (though it will no longer be in the Ferg next year)
Burke and Lakeside equally far</p>

<p>Male, Female, or Co-ed: co-ed business</p>

<p>Standard Double, Traditional Suites, or Super Suites: Some standard double, some suite containing three double rooms with a shared living room and a small shared bathroom (two stalls, two shower stalls, two sinks, a urinal even in suites with females)</p>

<p>Bed size/type: twin xl. the beds can loft various heights. even though they say you need to contact someone to change the height, I was able to do so with the help of two or three people</p>

<p>Honors or non-Honors: non-honors</p>

<p>Pros: It is really close to most classes. It is a two minute walk from my dorm on the third floor to the quad. Getting to the SEC complex is a far trek though. Very close to business buildings.
It is also very close to Publix and the strip.
Even though the rooms are shared, they are fairly spacious in the “suite” rooms though some of the traditional rooms are smaller. My room mate and I have an extra large room due to the removal of an elevator.
The suites on the second and third floor have doors from the shared living spaces right outside. We use the walk way and stair landings as our own balcony.</p>

<p>Cons:
The dorm is far from dining halls (though it does help walk off some of the food you just ate) especially since they will be moving fresh foods next year (or so I have heard).
Most people don’t know where Friedman is or that it is even a dorm that exists.
There are not enough washer and dryer units for the number of students in the dorm. I am also convinced they do not clean the units. My mom has told me on several occasions that my clean clothes smell musty and that is how the units tend to smell.
The kitchen for the dorm looks like it was put in a closet and is disgusting.
The dorm looks sketchy from the outside, especially when it gets dark early because the lights outside don’t turn on until after 8. This is scary when you have to walk up to the third floor late at night (yes there is a staircase outside to get to the suites)
There is no elevator. It was not fun for move in.
Several old row fraternity houses are behind the dorm and it can get loud some nights. Also most of the parking is shared with the houses.
On game days, if you are not parked in the lot directly next to the dorm (if you are across the street), your car has to be moved early in the morning on game day.
There are a few more minor cons, but this list is already very long so I won’t mention them.</p>

<p>Amenities inside the dorm room/suite:
microfridge, larger than average rooms</p>

<p>Amenities in or near Hall:
small computer lab on the first floor</p>

<p>Residence Hall: Riverside Complex (3 separate buildings consisting of North, West, and East)</p>

<p>Location: North-east side of campus</p>

<p>Dining Hall(s) nearby: Lakeside is literally across the street; 3 min walk to Ferg.</p>

<p>Male, Female, or Co-ed: Co-ed</p>

<p>Standard Double, Traditional Suites, or Super Suites: Super Suites with all 4 bedrooms down a long hallway (i.e., not split by kitchen/living); 2 bathrooms</p>

<p>Bed size/type: Twin XL - able to be semi-lofted (can fit dresser under there, but not a desk)</p>

<p>Honors or non-Honors: was Honors in 2012-13, then switched to non-Honors in 2013-14.</p>

<p>Pros: Very close to Lakeside Dining; very close to Eng’g buildings (accessed via bridge across Hackberry); has a wonderful grassy area in the center of the 3 buildings + a small pool (!) behind the ‘clubhouse’; fairly quiet location (construction noise will die down as things are completed); on the Crimson bus route + close to transport hub (for shuttles). For the past few years, there have been a few faculty families in residence right in Riverside (yep, their entire family including small children!), which I find unique.</p>

<p>Cons: One of the oldest suite-style dorms and in need of some repairs and updating (nothing major, but the carpet/walls/paint might give you pause). Suite kitchens do NOT have stove-tops, nor do any of the communal kitchens on any floor, so cooking on a stove is non-existent. There is a convection oven only (not trad oven) in communal kitchens.</p>

<p>Amenities inside the dorm room/suite: See the Housing website for a complete list of things included inside suites. [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/riverside/]Student”>Riverside - Housing and Residential Communities) Laundry is on 2nd and 4th floors. Communal kitchens on 1st and 3rd floors do not have stove-tops nor traditional ovens (convection only). </p>

<p>Amenities in or near Hall: There is a small (zero depth + 4’ max) pool behind the Community Center, between Riverside West and Riverside East, which is available to residents, but few seem to take advantage of or know about. Overall, Riverside is a great location near to everything on the north, east, and even west side of campus. (Band/music people might find Riverside a bit far from Moody or other south buildings.) Down the hill is the Riverwalk park along the Black Warrior River. Guess that’s why it’s called “Riverside”! ;)</p>

<p>Residence Hall: Ridgecrest East (and West)</p>

<p>Location (North Campus? South Campus? etc). North Campus</p>

<p>Dining Hall(s) nearby: Lakeside and Burke</p>

<p>Male, Female, or Co-ed. Co-Ed, but tends to be more guys than girls…many more guys</p>

<p>Standard Double, Traditional Suites, or Super Suites: Super Suites with bedrooms loaded on one side of long hallway off living room</p>

<p>Bed size/type: twin xl that can be lofted to about 33 inches</p>

<p>Honors or non-Honors. Honors. So there are mostly freshman, with generally the only upperclassmen being RAs and the few remaining NMFs with housing scholarships.</p>

<p>Pros: located AT MAJOR CRIMSON RIDE STOP. Beautiful lake behind. Newish, but starting to require some serious maintenance. Best aspect is the Extreme Camaraderie among the occupants. They do stuff together all the time ( girls and guys in a pack) and are having a blast. Tends to be engineering/ stem types. </p>

<p>Cons: looking a little beat-up but serious repair issues are handled promptly.</p>

<p>Amenities inside the dorm room/suite: full fridge, microwave, cabinets in kitchen, wired for TV, wifi, carpet squares, modular showers, closet doors open rather than slide, dresser and desk will fit under lofted bed, as will purchased plastic drawers. We added drapes on tension rod at LR entrance to bedrooms to increase privacy when guests are visiting…Each unit gets a HUGE storage room in the hall outside the unit.</p>

<p>Amenities in or near Hall: laundry on floors two and three, pool table, TV rooms, ping pong table, conventional kitchens for group use, moving carts available.</p>

<p>Since no on has covered Lakeside so far, here it is as that is where D lived last summer.</p>

<p>Residence Hall: Lakeside East</p>

<p>Location (North Campus? South Campus? etc) North, between Riverside and Ridgecrest</p>

<p>Dining Hall(s) nearby: Lakeside</p>

<p>Male, Female, or Co-ed: Co-ed</p>

<p>Standard Double, Traditional Suites, or Super Suites: Super Suites</p>

<p>Bed size/type: Twin, can be lofted. Dresser can fit under the bed as well as the plastic storage drawers. </p>

<p>Honors or non-Honors: Non-Honors</p>

<p>Pros: Shared living and kitchen with one main hall to the bedrooms and bathrooms. Closets had sliding doors. Kitchen had plenty of cabinets. Was very clean. Ping pong tables and such in the common areas. Storage closets in the hallways for each unit. </p>

<p>Cons: Each bedroom is not created equal. Not by much but some are a few inches smaller. Views from each bedroom are different. Some face out while others look out to the windows of the next suites bedrooms. </p>

<p>Amenities inside the dorm room/suite: Kitchen included a full size fridge, microwave, sink and plenty of cabinets. 2 bathrooms with vanity areas open to the hallway. </p>

<p>Amenities in or near Hall: Close to Lakeside Dining. Seems kind of in a “quiet area”. </p>

<p>D liked living there this summer.</p>

<p>Good information - thanks! Would like to hear from some people about Burke …</p>