Pros and Cons - Housing

<p>I’ve looked at housing on the website a little bit, but I’m still not sure where I want to stay. </p>

<p>From the looks of the Facebook page, most girls want to stay in Tut. Why is this? I was leaning towards honors housing/suite style. Which dorms are included in this, and what are the pros and cons of each of the dorms?</p>

<p>Also, I’ll be looking for roommates for whichever dorm I decide to live in, so please pm me if you’re looking for one as well !</p>

<p>Many girls want to live in Tut due to its proximity to sorority row. However many girls in the honors college live at Ridgecrest. My DD and all of her roommates have just been initiated into four different sororities. The only disadvantage is the walk back to Ridgecrest after a sorority event. If you want a suite style dorm, don’t be afraid to - you will just get your exercise!</p>

<p>You have to decide on your housing budget first. Then decide if you want to live in a room with one person for 9 months. Do you want to share a bathroom with several girls? As for Tut, everyone has their opinions about the dorm. As for my daughter, having to live in Tut was a UA deal breaker.
The advantage with suite style rooms are that you have your own room. You have a full size refrigerator. You also share a bathroom with one person. The other dorms are also newer so there are nice amenities in each if them.
There are several topics on this board about housing options.
If you are touring UA go to every dorm on campus. Even though you will not be able to tour them allvyou will see where each one is and the outside look.
many sorority girls prefer tut due to the proximity to sorority row</p>

<p>D loved living in Ridgecrest w/ Honors. She would never have picked Tut knowing that she needed to have her own space to study, etc. Suite style dorms were just another wonderful thing about 'Bama.</p>

<p>There were a lot of sorority girls living in RCS and they all walked over to Panhellenic events (Rush) events together and even after Rush, they walked together and hung out. It was not a big deal.</p>

<p>My D lives in Tut. Her and her roommate are in different sororities. D spends most of her study time at the house due to required study hours and being able to study with other girls that may have the same classes. She has said she very rarely studies in her dorm. </p>

<p>She wanted the “whole dorm experience” and that is why she picked Tut. She lived in Lakeside East during the summer and I kept asking her if she was sure she did not want a suite style dorm. She was adamant about being in Tut. All has been fine so far.</p>

<p>TxNewCollegeMom, this whole sorority thing is new to my daughter and me. Are you suggesting that UA sororities have certain expectations of their sisters concerning where they will study and what hours they will study there? is this true of sororities at UA alone or at southern schools generally? What other expectations do UA sororities have of their sisters concerning, I don’t know, dress, service hours, meals, etc.? Yes, I’ve never lived in the south :+)</p>

<p>this whole sorority thing is new to my daughter and me. Are you suggesting that UA sororities have certain expectations of their sisters concerning where they will study and what hours they will study there</p>

<p>this isn’t just a southern thing.</p>

<p>Sororities in many places (maybe most/all places) have “study hours” because National requires GPAs to be reported, so grades are very important.</p>

<p>We had sorority study hours in California. We had a good-sized house, so maybe that’s the difference. Maybe sororities that don’t have Houses, or don’t have good sized ones, don’t have Study Rooms.</p>

<p>All sororities have required study hours first semester for PNM’s/new initiates. Second semester and beyond, hours are only required if your GPA falls below house minimum.
Some houses require study hours to be served in the chapter house, others allow hours to be served at libraries, tutoring locations, etc.</p>

<p>At UA, all meals M-Th and two meals on Fridays are served at the chapter house. The school meal plan is converted to a minimum plan and chapter dues include the meal plan at the house.</p>

<p>A lot of chapter sponsored events are mandatory for PNM’s. Homecoming Week is usually very hectic with all the work preparing house deocrations/dance competition practices/sports events/etc. Not everyone is involved in every activity, but the load is quite heavy for that week. This is pretty standard for sororities at all campuses I have experience with across the country. Spring Greek Week is similar.</p>

<p>Clothing expectations revolve around having a good personal appearance. Specific brands/styles are not typically regulated, although some chapter houses may require everyone to buy the same clothing item(s) in order to have a cohesive group presentation for specific events and photos.</p>

<p>As others have said, it is pretty standard at all campuses when it comes to study hours. They have specific rooms in the house for study time and must sign in with the proctor. At her house they can use tutoring and meeting with the prof to count towards their hours. She has spent many a late night at the house studying and during homecoming. Her study hours are beyond the required minimum as studying at the house is pretty easy and there is always someone close by that may have had that class that can help if you need some help.</p>

<p>My brother lived in ridge crest south and said the location of it is better than most of the honors dorms due to it being more centrally located. I think ridge rest east and west are also close but have different room layouts</p>

<p>My daughter was quite taken aback by the community bathrooms at Tutwiler. “Yuck, everybody showers, etc., in there!” After seeing her twin brother’s suite style bathroom at Auburn, she understood her advantage - she didn’t have to clean the bathroom OR supply toilet paper!</p>

<p>While on UA tour in November, my son and I saw the Presidential dorms that are under construction. Does anyone know if there will be honors housing in them?</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s been announced yet which dorms will be honors for next year. This year it’s Ridgecrest South, Ridgecrest East and Ridgecrest West. That was a change from the prior year, so with Presidential II opening for the fall semester, it’s possible there will be further changes.</p>

<p>Can anyone tell me how much Burke costs?</p>

<p>^^ Here are the rates for the current school year. <a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2013-2014%20Residence%20Hall%20Rates%20APPROVED.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2013-2014%20Residence%20Hall%20Rates%20APPROVED.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thank you, I did find and print that out earlier however maybe I am missing something. I do not see Burke on it. Does it fall under anther name?
Thank you so much for any information</p>

<p>Thank you for the info. I’ll keep watch on the status of the dorms.</p>

<p>Most rooms in Burke are double occupancy rooms. Those rooms are $2800/semester for the current school year.</p>

<p>So what’s it like to live in Mary Burke Hall? I would think the attached dining and proximity freshmen classes would be big advantages (as well as not having to clean your own bathroom).</p>

<p>For those I know who’ve lived in Burke, they’ve tended to like it provided they had a good roommate situation. The rooms are on the bigger side. The biggest con of Burke is that it’s far away from the honors and other “super suite” style dorms. The newly renovated dining hall is nice and is the only UA dining hall which serves blue cheese dressing.</p>