George Washington U. Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thank you!

1 Like

Please don’t ‘channel’ this anxiety to your daughter. GW is a very special place for the right student – very independent, ambitious, smart, etc. My daughter is very happy there but we too were anxious about the Vern because she ONLY wanted urban. For many students it is a great way to ease in to the city life. Every freshman must take a writing course on the Vern.

2 Likes

Anyone go to admitted students day at George Washington? Anything to report that we should not miss or skip?

2 Likes

We were there last Friday. Food was really terrible LOL. I didn’t find the parent forum beneficial at all, but my daughter liked the student forum. While she does really like it at GW, I don’t think she will choose it for undergrad. Likes the idea for grad school.

1 Like

Where else is she considering? Does she prefer more of a campus? GW is one of my son’s top 3 but I’m not sure we can make it for the next accepted students day.

Also there last Friday. It was fine. A typical admitted students day (I have older children, so have done this before at other colleges). Definitely check out the dorms at both the Foggy Bottom and Mt. Vernon campuses. The Vern is a completely different feel from FG. (BTW, Thurston is the main FG freshman dorm.)

She is deciding between GW, Penn State, Syracuse, and Lehigh. Visiting Lehigh on Friday. She wants to study forensic science, so is leaning toward Penn State or SU which have it as an undergrad major.

GW is an amazing school in a fantastic area. So many opportunities!

Hi. My son got the same. When you visited, did you get see the school or meet students? Mine would be CS major within Engineering. He was feeling like it was definitely a smaller major there and the building where classes would be was quite old and drab. Of course, it is being compared to the brand new CS building at University of Maryland (other top choice). Also, did you get any more information on the requirements of the merit? The link they included was a bit confusing.

1 Like

I was also unable to find the requirements for my daughter’s merit aid (Corcoran Scholarship), despite the “click here to learn the requirements” link.

My dd is also deciding between Syracuse, Penn State and GW. To me - there is no competition, GW is by far the best option. But I cant get through to her with this - she is leaning to Penn State. pretty sure thats the wrong move

Why do you think GW is “by far” the best option? To me, I think Penn State and Syracuse have much larger alumni connections and are fantastic schools. GW obviously has the connection to DC, but numerous programs at SU and Penn State are ranked higher than GW.

My daughter liked the student panel/forum as well. The parent forum was not my favorite either. I wish admitted students day had more opportunity to meet the head of departments it made our daughters final comparison to other universities uneven. The honors program is especially enticing, however it is only part of the entire academic experience.

I thought the parent forum was lacking too. They never answered questions about housing, student life, dining - all the stuff we care about.

1 Like

I would not base a decision on Accepted Students Day alone. My daughter was an ED student for class of 2026 and I did not enjoy the Day. My daughter saw beyond what was said that day and just explored the city. Her regular tour in the fall before was what solidified things for her as well as the niche major offered at GW. Happy to answer specific questions. My other student goes to a more traditional college so I can compare/contrast for you.

1 Like

Committed to Gwu 2027!!! Yes!!!

4 Likes

how long did it take for the enrollment deposit to be processed?