George Washington U Test-Optional Thoughts?

Now that GW has been test-optional for three years, I was wondering if anyone could share thoughts or experiences on the new process. I’m especially curious to hear from applicants who DID NOT submit scores but were accepted, because I’m very skeptical of the process.

IMO, my S19 has a decent application aside from his SAT. His score sits near the bottom of GW’s 25-50% range. It certainly wont help him and may actually hurt his chances if he submits. However, in my opinion, not submitting is a very visible flag that his scores are not great.

Also, is anyone aware of publicly available statistics for GW admissions? CDS doesn’t break down ‘submitted’ vs. ‘did not submit’ applicants. Comprehensive data would be very telling.

WE submitted the scores, and they were not very good. (i believe i posted in class of 2017 parents group). Her highest ACT was a 29, but my D had great EC’s and did a good job on her essay (I cant say the same for my S19). Of course ED puts them in higher favor., I really believe that the school supports test optional , and I have met the provost. Here is an article about it.
https://www.gwhatchet.com/2018/04/02/test-optional-applicants-on-par-academically-with-other-students-officials-say/

If you have any other questions about GW feel free to PM me.

So S19 decided to apply RD without sending test scores.

HOWEVER, when filling out his Common App he forgot to switch his answer to the, “will you send test scores?” question to NO. He submitted his app stating that he would send scores.

We called GW to explain and they basically said…too bad, there’s nothing we can do to change it.

S19 will be sending his test scores. :frowning:

@STEM2017 – Why would a test optional school now require him to send his scores!!! Seems unfortunate.

@Hopper2019

Maybe I wasn’t clear. On his Common App he accidentally put that he WILL send his scores. Now that he submitted his app saying that he will send his scores, he cannot turn back.

It’s S19’s fault completely. He didn’t read his app carefully before sending.

Point is, once you say you are sending your scores, you cannot change your mind.

@STEM2017 – Thanks for the clarification. Seems odd though that GW couldn’t just make a note to file that your S will in fact NOT be sending in scores. But sometimes I don’t appreciate (or understand) the rigidity of the world we live in at times. Best of luck!

@Hopper2019 I was pretty shocked that they wouldn’t help him out. But rules are rules. It’s his fault.

Unfortunately, this probably puts him immediately in the ‘reject’ pile even though he is an amazing kid with an incredible (mostly non-academic) background.

Hopefully they will read through his app before looking at his scores. LOL

@STEM2017 — I wish you the best! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thank you @Hopper2019 !