Georgia Tech Deferred Class of 2026

I guess that’s the problem. No new awards- just all As this past semester which they will see on the mid year report. Same ole same ole :slight_smile: He will just have to be persuasive I guess in these 150 words.

2 Likes

Isn’t your child likely to go to CalTech since she was already accepted?

Caltech at this point is top choice unless she gets a good news on Pi-Day.

2 Likes

I really don’t think so. My D22 got deferred from MIT, so there is that. I do believe they have too many qualified candidates. I just want to see a clear definition of “holistic admission” so that we don’t waste time and emotions applying to schools that are not a good match. I think 5 years ago we had friends who wanted to apply, but we’re told they need ACT 33 (note not 36 :)to apply :slight_smile: And really we’re looking for girls. Times changed pretty fast in the past 3 years.

1 Like

Yes, for certain applicants - that’s what they are thinking, that they will likely enroll at one of those other colleges, and hence don’t want to “waste” an admit. That’s what’s termed “yield protection”. But of course, in this process a lot of kids who genuinely prefer GaTech will also get deferred.

(Note: I am not implying that yield is the only reason for deferral. There are definitely many different reasons)

MIT admission is a different deal this year. My D’s friend is an admit, they have their Discord group. Most admits are either Olympians or Athletes or URMs/First-Gen with handful of exception.

Honestly GT kind of school shouldn’t worry much about yield rate since they are one of the top-notch in engineering and kids would be happy to attend if admitted.

1 Like

Good idea to talk about ECs and what went in there. Also he can mention if he plans to do something in the near future (sourced some of this info from MIT blog for reference).

Good luck to all the kids who got deferred. I’m sure there will be a good number who will get in through RD. Read somewhere that they take about 33% of deferred pool for their RD (Rick’s blog probably??)

1 Like

You didn’t go wrong. It looks like your D got into Caltech and is still waiting for others? Did she get deferred at GT? If so, she’s still in the game.

GT like a lot of top schools is hit or miss. They only have so many slots. When we moved our S20 into the dorm it was kind of funny. It was like watching an episode of Big Bang Theory live. Lots of smart, smart kids there.

Could they be yield protecting by rejecting kids that would go to MIT/Caltech? Maybe but I’ve seen kids on here that got into both MIT and Georgia Tech so not sure that’s a real thing.

If you want to run some of the numbers and look at graphs you can look here. Unfortunately, it looks like the Admissions dashboard is locked. Not sure why other than they might be updating data after the last round of admissions.

https://lite.gatech.edu/home

It’s mentioned on GaTech’s FAQ page:
https://admission.gatech.edu/first-year/defer

“Over the past two years, approximately one-third of deferred students were ultimately accepted for the first-year class.”

4 Likes

They seem to care. There are others with similar high ranking such as UMich that definitely are worried about their yield.

3 Likes

She applied to MIT, Caltech, GT, UMIch and few others EA. Caltech came out in Dec, we want to wait to see others and visit the college before deciding. She’s not super happy to fill LOCI/DSF but we can’t sway any side at this point. Might withdraw UMich but keep GT for now.

Yield protection means a college will defer some/many applicants that they think will be accepted and enroll elsewhere. It does not mean they will defer all such cases, because they do want to fill their classes with many of these kids.

Many colleges these days (not sure about GaTech, but Tulane and Northeastern are examples) use sophisticated data analytics to predict who is likely to enroll and who is not. They take into account not just stats but where they are applying from, what their SES status is, historical enrollment track record of their high school, etc. So yield protection isn’t driven purely by GPA and test scores.

Times have changed. I was a good student back in my day and was accepted to Georgia Tech. This is in the mid 90s. With those stats today, I wouldn’t even think of applying.

Last year we have just one admit from our school (valedictorian). So far it’s just been one this year. They have even deferred kids who are USACO gold/platinum. We can’t do anything at this point other than a good long wait.

1 Like

Things are definitely different this year at a lot of top colleges.

From my D’s HS: GaTech accepted 4-5 during EA each of the last two years (plus several more during RD), this year just one I think.

1 Like

I know what yield protection is. My point was that GT might use it to some degree but also use other factors in their holistic approach…whatever that may be. Just like most other top universities.

Good luck.

We’re in agreement. As I said in a previous post above - there are lots of reasons for deferral and yield protection is just one of them.

Interestingly, their distribution for EA1 (in-state) is 50-50. In our whole school probably 5-6 girls applying to CS and 1 or 2 to Math/CS. Talk about gender gap here.

My son told me Georgia Tech hasn’t accepted a student from his high school in at least 10 years. His school has sent a handful of kids to MIT in the same time span.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I like how our school gives us packets of how many got in where and what their stats were (without having to go to Naviance). We are at a top ranked SoCal high school and we have admitted 3/yr to GT and 4 to MIT. I am assuming it’s the same people and 1 to CalTech.

1 Like