Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Just seconding this: know a CS major with a 4.0, finds it pretty easy so far(very bright kid with great HS prep and lots of AP–placed out lots of classes and chose not to repeat them).

2 Likes

Do they start at sophomore status or staying 4 years if they have lots of APs. Thanks.

Did anyone receive the provost scholarship?

When do deferred or regular decisions come out for GT?

1 Like

Usually mid-March

1 Like

Many can get out in 3 years if they bring in lots of credits via AP or dual enrollment.

A rather large disadvantage (mainly for OOS kids) of GT is they significantly limit the ability to not take a course for which you know the material, unless you have AP or DE. Many of the math/CS competition kids, as well as those that went to advanced HS’s will have knowledge of advanced math/CS courses. What some of GTs peer schools do is test your knowledge and put you in courses that challenge you. In other words, you might not get credit for Linear Algebra, but you can skip it and take a more advanced course. GT does not allow this as they limit courses you can test and demonstrate knowledge to 3 courses effectively.

DS has just taken 21 hours each semester and skipped the classes in subjects he already knew, only taking the exams and making pretty high As. It was not difficult, more of an admin hassle which admittedly he needed to work on, but he still had to slog through homework, etc. as opposed to taking more interesting material and not being challenged.

How do we even know if they are awarded? You get email if you are one of them; but no info if not.

I went to CWRU, BS was miserable back then. Nothing about it was good. Received two MS elsewhere and then MBA from CWRU.

Anywho, GT and CWRU are tied. My impression is CWRU is just a really (really) expensive school and is just kind of there. Each kid is a number. Good luck.

GT while we have not visited, I feel my kiddo would like too!!! It at least seems like all the students work hard/ play hard.

Mostly curious how tough it is to get a good GPA to ensure application to med school or other grad school looks decent. Not looking to game the system… but we’re kind of in same boat thinking our kiddo should like it as was accepted.

I think there are a lot of easier ways to get into med school then going to Georgia Tech. From what I understand, you need to shoot for 3.8 or higher to have a 65% chance of acceptance. Those with 3.5 have a 30% chance of getting accepted. If med school is the goal go where you can get the highest GPA. Med schools won’t care that Georgia Tech is hard. Reputation won’t matter.

2 Likes

How hard is to get 3.8GPA at Georgia Tech?

I achieved close to that GPA as a very unprepared student…and my kiddo is way (way) more prepared and smarter than I was…

So I’m debating whether to steer him to a top 50 school and easily get a 4.0… or to go to GT (but my concern is the GPA thing…)

Not easy for sure. And certainly not something you can count on. At orientation, the dean said something like everyone in this room was in the top 10% of their class in high school and now 90% of you won’t be. I think that’s something to keep in mind at Georgia Tech - the whole place is full of superstar students.

That being said, it’s not impossible. One thing that does help is the grading scale. 90 is considered a 4.0. Of course that doesn’t help if you get an 89, and most don’t round up (happened to my kid). That is a 3.0.

I think University wide there is grade inflation. I remember reading the average GPA is around a 3.3. Some classes seem to have higher averages than I would expect. For example, introduction to accounting at GT has a 3.12 average GPA with some classes as high as 3.5. At UGA, class average for that course is a low C. Some of that could be attributed to strength of student, but since it’s a first year class and UGA and Georgia Tech have similar acceptance stats I doubt that is entirely the case.

So while a 3.8 is a good bit above the average student at Georgia Tech, there are kids who accomplish that. But everyone is smart and not everyone can make an A. For example, I just looked up PHYS 2211 which is introductory physics. The GPA average is 2.87. It varies by Professor with one having 60 percent As and another having 11 percent As. Course Critique

One final thing to note. While Georgia Tech is not the easiest place to get to med school because supposedly caliber of undergrad is not considered, I wouldn’t lump all grad schools in that boat.

I don’t think one should steer their kids based on GPA number… After the first job, no body cares about that number.

My kid is ready to go Caltech (if he gets in - of course) knowing clearly that average GPA is 2.2 there. You should look at the experience and maturity kids acquires by going to top notch schools. GPA is just a number that can be nullified with few minutes of interview.

While your sentiment may apply in general, I believe the previous posts were referring to kids with their eyes on med school. In that case, GPA is extremely important. Med schools admit primarily on GPA and MCAT, and they do not take into account where that GPA was earned. So that was definitely on my premed kid’s mind when she was making her college decision.

Edit: The same could apply to law school, dental school, etc.

3 Likes

I’m not steering my kid for easy path or GPA or anything… I’ve been around the block hard universities, tough competition, chewed up and spit out over a 30 year career as an top exec. Trying to get my kid in a sweet spot… and I think GT is it… hard, but not over the top. My kid is well prepped and should have no problem destroying how I did in college… so it was just a question.

If I read your previous posts correctly, your kid is premed? If so, s/he may want to schedule a call with the pre-health advising office. My kid did this and learned more details about the partnership with Emory and resources for shadowing and research. She felt it could be a good place for pre-med and also liked the idea of smaller cohort of non-computing/engineering kids (she was interested in chem/biochem).

She contacted the pre-health advisors at all her top schools to help with her decision. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Wondering the same thing. I keep coming back here to see if anyone has responded. I checked out reddit and there was a post last year on Feb 17 from a student saying they got a letter in the mail notifying them of the provost scholarship. They did not get an email. The letter was dated two weeks after the admission notices went out. So maybe give it another week before considering it a no?? (That student was completely unaware of the scholarship and had written GT off but was now reconsidering!)

2 Likes

Are there any counseling services that help you decide which ONE school to finally accept based on your academic and extra-curricular interests, college offerings, job prospect, reputation etc.?

1 Like

My daughter got an email yesterday that she was one of the 60 selected for the Provost Scholarship. This brings our tuition down to in-state which is great!

9 Likes

Congratulations to your daughter.

1 Like

Congratulations :tada:
So that means deferred kids from out of state do not hold any chance of Provost now.