Get All Your ED Questions Answered! Exclusive ASK ME ANYTHING w/ NYU on Thu, Oct 20 5-6pm ET

Thank you everyone for attending today’s live AMA w/ NYU! We’ll go live in a minute and I’m excited to welcome @KennedyAdmNYU and @IvanStudentNYU to their first College Confidential event. Kennedy and Ivan will answer your questions in the next hour. Make sure to ask all your questions by commenting below.

@KennedyAdmNYU, @IvanStudentNYU, you can reply to each question by clicking the “Reply” button in the bottom right corner. You can also @mention the person who asked the question in your response.

3 Likes

Hello from Hanoi, Vietnam! My name is Nhat (Thomas) Ngo, and I’m planning to apply Early Decision in the Business & Political Economy program at Stern. Thank you so much for providing us with this great opportunity. My questions are:

1. How much does Early Decision increase the probability of a student who applies to NYU Stern?

2. How popular is Stern’s Business & Political Economy (BPE) program? Is there a different acceptance rate for the different business programs at Stern, and if so, what is the acceptance rate for Stern’s BPE program?

3. Does NYU incorporate a policy where if a student applies to all 3 NYU Campuses & the admission officers really like this student but ran out of slots/have better candidates, the student gets pushed away from his priority campus to another campus?

@CharlieLA, great questions! The percentage difference are nearly identical. The major difference between EDI and EDII are the deadlines/notification time with EDI being due Nov. 1st and you would hear back around December 15th. EDII is due Jan.1st and you would hear back around Feb. 15th. Good luck!

1 Like

Hello!

My name is Liv and I’m applying EDI to Tisch Cinema Studies. I can’t find the acceptance rate for that program anywhere. Would you be able to tell me how many spots there are and/or what the acceptance rate is in that program? I’m absolutely in love with it!

Best,
Liv

1 Like

Thank you for the opportunity to ask a question. I am interested in 2 fields- computer science(tandon school of eng) and finance(stern). Is there a way to apply for both degrees? If not, is it possible to switch majors (if required later) between two unrelated majors like these?

@Lisannespeaks, thanks for being here! The Office of Undergraduate Admissions can offer a more general overview of these programs, but you’ll probably be better served by reaching out directly to Tisch or to Steinhardt. The biggest difference between the programs for me is that one is a traditional conservatory-style education (Tisch), and one has a basis in the liberal arts (Steinhardt). Steinhardt’s degree is a BM and Tisch is BFA. I would also encourage you to view the core curriculums and major requirements offered by each program, and you’ll probably find that you gravitate towards one over the other.

2 Likes

@Magali, great question! The decision to give a scholarship are on the basis of both merit and need with a student having to submit the CSS financial aid profile as an international student by the deadline. There is no difference in applying ED or RD when it comes to giving scholarships. Good luck!

1 Like

@Dhruv_Malhotra, great question! It is important to note that your double major would have to be in the College of Arts and Science. It is very much possible to internally transfer between NYU schools but there is a separate internal transfer process and admissions is not guaranteed. Changing majors within the same school does not require an application for the most part.

1 Like

@Camz!, Early Decision I and II accept students with comparable academic profiles, and both have a higher acceptance rate than Regular Decision. You might notice that we accept more students in ED1 compared to ED2, but this is because there’s generally a larger applicant pool in ED1 compared to ED2, not because ED1 is any less competitive when it comes to the types of students we admit. From the student perspective, the only real difference between the ED deadlines is the date the application is due!

2 Likes

Hi!
First off, Thank you for this incredible opportunity and answering all our questions!
My name is Anna and I’ll be applying ED to NYU Steinhardt!
I was wondering what the process of applying for scholarships is like, specifically the AnBryce Scholarship?

@livs23, thanks for your question! We do not have those statistics available. What I can say is that 12.2% of applicants received offers of admission to NYU’s New York campus last cycle. Three of NYU’s undergraduate colleges offered admission to fewer than 10% of applicants—including the College of Arts and Science (7%), the Stern School of Business (7%), and the Rory Meyers College of Nursing (3%)—from NYU’s record-breaking pool.
Ivan

2 Likes

@jk2021, thanks for being here!

NYU does not release admissions data on a school-by-school basis, but I can say that Stern does tend to be one of the more selective colleges- although I would describe NYU as highly selective overall. I believe students were initially unable to view their supplementary essay in the preview portion of the Common App, but there were never any issues with NYU receiving the supplemental essay. We have received all essays that have been submitted.

2 Likes

My son who’s a dancer but interested in business major. Is there a dual degree program with Stern school of business and Tisch for a dancer ? Or are there any courses within Stern school of business that he can do to learn about business of entertainment or with digital media and communications?

1 Like

@a324, thank you so much for your question! For the most part, there is no sepearte application. Every student who submits the application by the deadline while submitting the FAFSA + CSS financial aid profile (or just the CSS profile if you are an international student) will be reviewed for possible scholarships. Scholarships are awarded based on merit + need. Best of luck!

2 Likes

My son is currently a junior and wants to apply for the NYU Film School. how early should he apply, and when should he have his portfolio completed? What kind of test scores are necessary for consideration?

What happens if you are accepted ED but do not receive a financial package that works with your budget? Is there any way to get an idea in advance what type of aid can be expected?

@a324, thanks for your question!

Financial aid at NYU is almost exclusively need-based, which is determined by the CSS Profile and FAFSA. Although we have a handful of merit-based scholarships (such as AnBryce), none of these programs have separate applications and we evaluate the entire applicant pool for any scholarship they might be eligible for.

2 Likes

@August_Culligan, our Admissions Review Process at is comprehensive and we do not have minimum GPA cutoffs or things of that nature. Submitting scores are entirely optional. LS students are typically able to choose where they want to study for the first-year based on availability. Good luck!

1 Like

Hello from Hanoi, Vietnam! My name is Nhat (Thomas) Ngo, and I’m planning to apply Early Decision in the Business & Political Economy program at Stern. Thank you so much for providing us with this great opportunity. My other questions are:

1. Knowing the great number of applications that NYU’s admissions officers have to go through, can you tell me more about how NYU’s admissions officers go through applications?

2. How much time on average does an NYU admissions officer spend on one application?

2 Likes

@Diadd, you are able to do research with a professor from outside of your major department. However, the Wagner School is a graduate level program, so its coursework is probably not available to undergrads.

1 Like