Getting a D in Bio AP -- is it the end?

<p>Daughter is probably getting a D on the 2nd semester Bio AP.</p>

<p>The counselor is suggesting that UC’s will average out the ‘D’ with the grade she would get if she retakes Bio in the community college over the summer.</p>

<p>Do UC’s require that one retake D grades in a-g courses? She already has A’s in the required 2 lab science courses.</p>

<p>How bad is it to leave a D on your transcript? She will be an arts major; her UC GPA is about 3.6, SAT 1970, subject SAT’s 600 in Bio, 700 in US Hist. The UC’s of interest in order of preference are:</p>

<p>UC SC
UC LA (Media Arts)
UC SD
UC D</p>

<p>For Davis, you report the D grade to UCD Admissions, and they'll get back to you within a week and let you know if that grade affected their admission decision.</p>

<p><a href="http://myadmissions.ucdavis.edu%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://myadmissions.ucdavis.edu&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<ul>
<li>fooshy</li>
</ul>

<p>I'm assuming your daughter is a junior.</p>

<p>Okay well if you daughter has already completed the 2 year requirement then she should be okay. Only her gpa will be lowered. However, if she were to retake the class the grade she gets in community college will replace the D entirely. </p>

<p>And if she still has a 3.6 with a D, along with her 1970, I'm sure she will be fine at UCSC and UCD.</p>

<p>Good luck. Personally I wouldn't retake the class...I mean a 3.6 is still very good. I got a D in AP calc this year, and it is definitely not worth it to take the class over, bc my gpa is still strong.</p>

<p>My 2 cents: if she is an art major why an UC? why not a cal state? its way cheaper and same education for an art major, but if you have the money then go for the UC. Tell her to retake the class since a D disqualifies you (in UCSD maybe the other UCs are different)</p>

<p>A D does not disqualify you. It only disqualifies you if that class is required. The OP mentioned that her daughter already filled the 2 year lab science requirement, therefore, the D will only affect her gpa slightly.</p>

<p>Yes, she is a junior.</p>

<p>So, you think Santa Cruz would accept with those stats despite a D?</p>

<p>The problem with retaking is that she would have to start at the community college 2 weeks before the school year is over. So, if her grade turns out to be C-, she would not know it yet.
Seems like a waste of time.</p>

<p>On the other hand, are you sure, that retaking it replaces the grade completely, and not just averages it out? Do you still need to report the D on the UC application along with the make up grade?</p>

<p>it doesnt replace it... but they see that she didnt give up</p>

<p>I took Honors Chemistry sophomore year, got a C first semester, and then a D second semester. I took Chem1A, got a B, at a community college, about a year later. I explained why I had such a huge drop in grades in my essay (I'm attending UCD this Fall). Retaking the course does not replace the grade at all, and I'm pretty sure there is no average. You will have to report everything, because if the UCs find misreported info (and a D will make a difference..) in what you reported and your transcripts (official transcripts are not due until July, so they make their decisions based self-reported info), they will most likely take away their admission offer.</p>

<p>UCSC should be safe, but I don't know about UCLA or UCD, because I know some people with great grades/scores (or at least, better than mine) who didn't get in. Bio is not related to her major, so they might take that into account (if she does really well on art-related courses). Explaining her situation on one of her application essays may also help.</p>

<p>Okay I know what I am talking about....I'm getting it from my 2007-2008 UC Booklet. I will quote the following about D and F grades.</p>

<p>Any a-g courses in which you earn a D or F must be repeated with a grade of C or better in order to count toward the Subject Requirement. Only the second grade will be used in calculating your GPA. If you repeat a course in which you initially earned a grade of C, the second grade will not be used.</p>

<p>Also for Santa Cruz. Students with a gpa between 3.3 and 3.69....90.2% of them were accepted, and I'm sure your daughter will be no exception.</p>

<p>Boy, I'm surprised there's so much misinformation about this, since the UCs make it pretty clear - the grade in a retaken "A-G" course DOES replace a grade of D or F for purposes of calculating the UC GPA, but will not replace a grade of C or higher. There's nothing in "Introducing the University" about averaging grades. You still have to show the original grade on the application, however, and it would probably be a good idea to explain it in the essay. I asked this very question of an admissions officer when we were touring UCSC, and that was the answer she gave me. </p>

<p>If your daughter has a UC GPA of 3.6, she will be admitted to one of the UCs even with the D, but it may not be to her campus of choice - though UCSC seems like a match to me.</p>

<p>If your college counselor doesn't know this I'd worry...</p>

<p>Yes, I am worried, because her counselor thinks it is "averaged".
I have called the UC admissions directly and they confirmed that the grade is "replaced". They also said that alhtough one is still technically eligible and could be admitted with a D by some UC's, they stressed the importance of replacing it with a higher grade, because the admission focuses on the sophomore-junior grades.</p>

<p>I am not sure though that you get an extra point for the college re-take course (as in high school a 4.0 in an AP class = 5.0). UCSC said yes you add a point, but other UC's might be different.</p>

<p>YES UCSC should be your safe school. but like everyone has said go to community college to get it replaced</p>

<p>The “D/F” grade is replaced if the course is retaken, the same course at the same institution, for high school students. Taking a community college course is not retaking the failed high school course; however, it is a way to fulfill the subject deficiency. Therefore, the D grade will be used in the UC calculated GPA and, if completed soon enough, so will the college course. If the student does retake the same course at the same institution before the senior year then the D grade will be replaced. I hope this clears some information up. If you have further questions please contact a UC admissions office.</p>

<p>Thank you for clearing up the GPA question.</p>

<p>So, in this student's case, she is NOT fulfilling a requirement deficiency --she already has 2 other science courses, plus physics in the coming senior year.
She is likely getting a D+ for the high school Biology AP course.
She has already started taking a similar biology summer course at a comminity college but can still drop it. So far it looks like she may get an A. </p>

<p>Will an A or a B in this make-up course have much weight with the admissions, even though it will not change her GPA by much? Should she take it just to show that she can do well?</p>

<p>Or is she better off spending that time doing EC's or taking a game-design course (she wants to major in art/animation/game design in college)?</p>

<p>And another question, UCD Admissions...</p>

<p>Will a passing score on the AP test make up for a subject deficiency in an A-G required course? For example, if the student in question needed this course to fulfill her science requirements, would UC give her credit for the class if she scored a 3, 4, or 5 on the AP test, despite the "D" grade?</p>

<p>It is difficult to determine without the whole academic record, something to extensive to post through a forum. If the student has already met the minimum eligibility requirements then the choice is one the student will need to make. This choice involves what seems like 3.5 years of science versus 2.5 years and a choice of taking courses to help prepare for major classes. It can be a difficult choice to make. Although, any little help with the GPA is a good idea for the application process. Again, I hope this helps.</p>

<p>Passing AP exams could. Please see <a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/educators/counselors/adminfo/freshman/advising/admission/subjectr.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/educators/counselors/adminfo/freshman/advising/admission/subjectr.html&lt;/a> to review all the various ways to clear subject deficiencies and meet the requirements.</p>