Global Entry Semester

ED1 GES is confusing. If accepted ED1, GES to Colby, do you have to go to Spain/France to attend? If you don’t want to go abroad, do you lose acceptance? GES was unexpected and we did not apply.

In past, the answer was yes, that was a condition of your acceptance. There are a few other threads in the Colby forum about this. Check them out and try to reach out to the posters.

People seem to like this experience quite a bit, but it is a different start to your college career.

Thank you!

1 Like

Same thing happened with my son but I believe the “application” for the program involved a “yes/no” question on the application (if you would be interested in participating in the program) so they must have said yes (as did my son). I agree that it is very confusing and it should definitely be clearer but in the end we are looking at it as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity especially since my son was unable to do any previous abroad programs during HS because of COVID. We did inquire with admissions if the acceptance was contingent to participating in GES and they confirmed that yes it was unless you had specific circumstances post-application but if that is the case you would not be able to attend Colby until Jan.

1 Like

This can be a good chance to go abroad for those who wanted to do so during covid, as noted. It’s a great way to deal with the FL requirement (for those who aren’t going to do more FL) and a great way to accelerate in FL for those who plan to do more at higher levels.

You’ll build a nice cohort for when you return (and have your winter COOT).

I know some people worry about missing the fall, when everyone is new. There are positives and negatives to that – you have to weigh that. It’s a very interesting opportunity.

My daughter, class of 2026, arrived on campus in January after doing a GES in Dijon. It was a surprise for her as well. She checked the box too without realizing what it was all about. She LOVED it. It was a great opportunity to meet a group of kids that she will have a connection with during her time at Colby. She learned a lot of French. She grew up a lot in her time there, navigating living in a city, taking college courses in French, living with a host family and getting to travel on her own without parents planning it all. The group travels as a group with professor and there are opportunities to travel on their open as well. They have a week off in October when parents can come and visit. :slight_smile: When she arrived on campus for Jan Plan, all the GES kids were housed together. So she’s living with kids she knew from France and then has met a bunch of new ones from Spain. They take one class during Jan Plan which enables them to find their way around on campus in a more relaxed way. She’s met a lot of people and has made an effort to join clubs and meet as many people as she can. She seems really happy. And yes, she got her FL requirement out of the way but decided to minor in French since it’s just a few more classes. I’d be happy to answer any questions anyone has about it!

2 Likes