Good for a non-party person?

I’m going to be a senior this year and I’m just about done with my list of schools. I want to apply to at least one SUNY. Originally I was considering SUNY Geneseo but it is just too far for my parents liking. I’m potentially considering applying to Binghamton. The only thing is that a lot of people I know who go there or are going to go there are big party people. I’m not really in to or interested in the party scene or drinking so I definitely do not want to go to a school where I would feel left out or ostracized for this reason. Would this make this school not a good fit?

BTW: I am a NY resident and I have a 1890 SAT which I will be retaking in the fall.

I’m a non-party person. You’ll be fine. I don’t know if we have more partiers than the typical medium sized school, but either way, it’s certainly not everybody.

There are a number of people in high school that aren’t partiers but start doing that in college. Anyway, I’m not sure if Bing is the right fit for you since you want a school with open minded and friendly individuals. Binghamton students to be a close minded and can come off as rude or hostile if you aren’t the same race/religion/ethnicity as them or if you don’t have the same exact interests as them. I would reconsider geneseo or maybe look into new paltz.

Sprinkles12, I’ve heard some people say that for them Binghamton was really like an extension of their high school partly because quite a few students from their high school attended and they stuck together like glue. That seems very true. If you walk across campus you’ll see groups of students who are very similar walking together and rarely interacting with those that look different. I had never seen such voluntary segregation before. International students seem to do the same to the extreme. It may only seem that way because they are often speaking a different language and rarely saying much in class. I don’t think Binghamton students are rude to those from their own high school or home town and I think there is nothing that keeps them from branching out from those they went to high school with.

lostaccount, yes, I definitely agree with you on that front. Binghamton is a school that works really well for a certain types of student. If you’re not in that group, then it might not be a good fit for you.