Good school for undecided majors?

<p>I know Tech is a great school but I always think of it in terms of very specific majors - engineering, business etc. Can I get some thoughts on whether it is a good school for a kid to attend when they do not know what they want to major in?</p>

<p>Is my opinion one of the past? Have things changed a lot over the last several years? What are the up coming departments that one would not traditionally think of with regards to VT?</p>

<p>If you don’t know what you want to major in then go to a community college for a year or two and figure it out.</p>

<p>Cal, this is a great question that I think many people (myself included) have when their kids were looking at VT. It generates a lot of talk from its engineering reputation, and therefore some of the other programs and disciplines fly under the radar. Other disciplines we have learned are very well regarded or are even among the top in the country include: </p>

<p>Many of the programs in the Department of Natural Resources and Environment, including forestry, geography, etc.</p>

<p>The College of Agriculture --horticulture, animal and poultry sciences, human nutrition, food and exercise, etc.</p>

<p>Sciences: Geosciences, Bio</p>

<p>Landscape Architecture, Architecture, Interior Design, Industrial Design</p>

<p>History: My daughter is going to major in this and she did quite a bit of research on what other academics thought about the program there. They were very complimentary and said that this area was very underrated, but strong.</p>

<p>They are opening a huge new Arts Building, so many of those disciplines dealing with visual media and the fine arts are going to really benefit from the facilities. </p>

<p>I think VT would be a great place to go if you didn’t know what your career intentions were. There is so much to offer in terms of options and so many are taught by some great professors and leaders in their fields. </p>

<p>Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>@KandKsmom - that was a great write up! Thank you! I thought it would be a common question as Virginia has two great top schools UVA and WM and lots of good safety schools but not really much in the middle. And, VT is top in a lot of it’s departments! I am going to try and get DS to take another look! Thanks again for taking the time to write!</p>

<p>You are welcome! I had few minutes this am and found this link, too, which gives more specific information to some of the programs’ accolades. </p>

<p>[Factbook:</a> Measures of Excellence | Virginia Tech Home | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.vt.edu/about/factbook/measures-excellence.html]Factbook:”>http://www.vt.edu/about/factbook/measures-excellence.html)</p>

<p>I also forgot to mention the new Human and Agricultural Biosciences I building that is about to open. (There will ultimately be 4) I think this building and the academic research that is going to go on in it, may be one to watch and would contain majors that are going to be highly sought after in the future I would think. Researching ideas to improve the world’s food source generation, developing new biofuels and biomaterials, food safety, etc. will be served well by these new facilities. If I were a kid who didn’t know what I wanted to do, and liked science, I would look into this school.</p>

<p>[Human</a> and Agricultural Biosciences Building 1 | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.cals.vt.edu/facilities/calsconstruct/index.html]Human”>http://www.cals.vt.edu/facilities/calsconstruct/index.html)</p>

<p>The thing that has most impressed me about VT is the opportunities for hands on research the students have here- even as undergraduates. Having the practical applications to go hand in hand with the knowledge they receive in the classroom is a real plus in terms of what they can learn and what experiences they have and can share with potential employers. I think they are ranked in the top 5 nationally by the National Science Foundation for research expenditures. </p>

<p>You can kind of tell I have been turned into kind of a VT cheerleader :slight_smile: but really it is because, like you, I always thought of Tech as an engineering school, and they are so much more.</p>

<p>My advice was actually serious; it’s not a great plan to go to a university with no idea of what you want to do. It’s likely going to be a costly decision and you’d be better off spending a year at a CC figuring it out. </p>

<p>If you are set on a university though KK is correct that VT is an excellent one if you’re in state. (It’s an excellent university either way but going to an OOS school with no plan as to what major you are picking is an extremely bad idea.)</p>

<p>Both responders bring up really great points. VT is a wonderful with really great opportunities and programs all around. I wouldn’t count VT if you’re not sure what major/career you want to pursue. However, OOS tuition is quite expensive (it’s what I’m paying right now). I just transferred into VT, and I can tell you the process is quite easy and very smooth. I bring this up because if money may be an issue, attending a community college could be a good option to take care of some of the general education courses required too while thinking more about what you want to pursue at university. Once you have decided and have gotten some of those filler classes out of the way, apply to VT and join the hokie nation!</p>

<p>I am actually the parent not the student (in case you could not tell) and we are in state. I don’t disagree that going to college without a major is not the best of all ideas but I hate to think that every kid going to school knows what they want to major in. And, definitely, for my kid, I don’t think he would like waiting - he would see it as being left behind. Believe me I will do everything in my power to start him on some path (business, computers) to see if he likes it or not. I will bring up this option - Community College - but I can already see his face looking at me like I am crazy! Again, I think some schools might be better at helping an undecided major than others! So I was trying to get the “temperature” on this subject as it relates to VT! But I do thank you all for giving input!</p>

<p>The Business school is very solid also. It’s consistently getting better and has very good job opportunities.</p>