UW or VT???

<p>I am stuck between accepting my waitlist acceptance at University of Washington Seattle or sticking with my decision to attend Virginia Tech. If anyone goes to either school and could give me some advice I would be forever thankful! ahhh! I dont know which to choose!</p>

<p>What major are you in, what is the cost difference, and what is important to you?</p>

<p>I go to Virginia Tech and I am planning on transferring out. I don’t know much about UW since I live on the east coast, but I’ll tell you some of the pros and cons about Tech</p>

<p>Pros:
great food-ranked number 1 in the country (what I’ll miss most)
beautiful campus
fun parties
large classes (pro for me)
relatively cheap
nice college town </p>

<p>cons:
more right wing
it’s in the south
undercover cops patrolling now
a little too spirited</p>

<p>For me, the biggest issue I have with Virginia Tech is their lack of progressive thinking. It’s a great school don’t get me wrong and I’m not leaving unhappy or hating Tech, I’l always consider myself a Hokie, but I can’t live somewhere that will suspend a student for smoking a tiny amount of weed. Tech is an awesome place, but sometimes the students and faculty try to hype it up too much where it gets to be annoying. Washington sounds pretty cool though, good luck.</p>

<p>BTW: if you are an engineering major, you should probably go to Tech they are one of the top schools for that which I did not know until going there since I am a business major.</p>

<p>Um, most people here voted for Obama, support gay marriage, diversity, and other Democratic platforms. It isn’t overwhelmingly liberal, but it definitely leans more left than right. But you were in Pamplin and I do believe business majors in general lean right. </p>

<p>And yes, we are very spirited, but most of us like it that way. School spirit is one of the reasons why I chose Virginia Tech over UVA.</p>

<p>Lots of the cons listed above and that you can probably think of can be said about any school, so just remember that. As far as having best possible college experience, it really depends on what you’re looking to get out of your 4 years and your major. Tech is overall just a really well rounded school. Many students find their place and a way to get the most out of their time here.</p>

<p>Cost wise, Tech is a great deal since tuition is reasonable and costs of living are considerably lower than most schools. There dining halls are good, a decent amount of dorms are new or updated, and the campus is a great environment to be.</p>

<p>To address points above - there are a decent amount of people who identify both ways, especially at the student level. The environment of the school is pretty relaxed and accepting of differences. Don’t let the comment about right-wing sway you too much. The school policies are relatively strict and conservative but if you have experience at other institutions (like I do), this is becoming common in public/state-funded institutions. BUT, the conduct system is reasonable if you’re willing to work them. This area isn’t a huge deal nor should it be a determining factor when choosing a school.</p>

<p>There are a lot of opportunities to get involved in student leadership AND leadership within your college/major, if you are into that. There are lots of activities, programs, shows, etc. to attend, a decent amount of free events, and clubs that cater to so many types of students and interests. School spirit is huge here, as is service and giving back to the community.</p>

<p>Depending on your major and what you’re looking for out of your academics, you can get really good experience in your field of choice. Since it is a big school, these opportunities may not always be obvious or constantly presented to you, but if you take initiative, talk to professors/other students, express interest in professors’ or grad students’ work and research - you will most likely be able to get some great opportunities.</p>

<p>Hope this helped some. Good luck!</p>