Graduation Rates for Students in Honors Programs

<p>I have been able to find the overall graduation rates for BAMA students, but am wondering if there is separate (and published) data for the students in the various Honors programs. If so, can someone please let me know where I might find it? If this has already been addressed, I apologize. I have been trying to find it in the postings, but have not been successful. Thank you very much.</p>

<p>That’s a very good question. I don’t know if that stat is known. I would think that it’s quite high. Honors kids are more likely to come in with AP credits and such, so they would be more likely be able to graduate ontime and even with 2nd majors.</p>

<p>I think those that take longer to graduate are townies who are working and commuting.</p>

<p>My older son could have graduated in less than 4 years, but decided to do the full 4 years. My younger son will graduate in May 2013…on time as well.</p>

<p>Are you looking for graduation rates in terms of students who graduate with degrees or in terms of students who graduate from each honors program? For the former, m2ck is correct that the rate is likely much higher than it is for the university as a whole. I haven’t seen completion rates for each honors program as they are not published. The data exists, but I don’t think anyone has ever gone and analyzed it. There are a lot of factors in determining who graduates from the various honors programs, particularly students’ majors and their course planning.</p>

<p>Thank you for your responses. I am looking for the rates for the honors kids, that would compare to the University as a whole. For example, I think the 4 year graduation rate is 38% and the 6 year rate is 67%. I agree that the rates would be higher for the students enrolled in the honors programs. My question is, what are those graduation rates? Thank you again for your assistance.</p>

<p>Graduation rates don’t mean a whole lot at publics UNLESS the grad rate has been affected by the inability to get classes.</p>

<p>Publics often have students who “start and stop”, go part-time, work their way thru college, etc. And, since publics are generally in good-sized cities, they typically have a fair number of townies who don’t feel the pressure to graduate in four years because their costs are lower.</p>

<p>Students who don’t graduate on time typically cause the problem themselves…they drop classes, change majors, don’t want to take classes at inconvenient times (too early or late afternoon), don’t take a full load, etc.</p>

<p>DegreeWorks, the online program that helps keep track of what kids need to take to graduate is a helpful tool to help kids “Graduate in Four.”</p>

<p>That said, since the honors students typically have scholarships that help make college more affordable, the need to “work their way thru” lessens. Plus, because their scholarships end after 4 years, that’s an added incentive to graduate in four.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that some majors are designed to require 9 semesters to complete regardless of AP credits.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Which ones are those? I don’t know of many/any at Bama.</p>

<p>The BSN curriculum plan consists of four semesters of lower and five semesters of upper division courses including clinicals. AP credits help to reduce the course load during lower division, but not the number of required semesters. Promotion from lower division to upper division occurs only twice per year, so students either take an additional summer or fall semester.</p>

<p>^^^
the news that upper division nursing is 5 semesters is shocking…especially for OOS students on scholarships. I have a call into Bama about this. I’m very disappointed to learn this as many OOS BSN students cannot afford to pay for the 9th semester.</p>

<p>To be clear, I was not complaining about the program or the additional semester. My intention was to provide clarification as to why graduation may be delayed beyond eight semesters for some majors in regards to the original question posed by the thread. The UA has a highly successful program with a 98% first time pass rate on the NCLEX. Students have the opportunity to apply for additional private scholarships although they are not guaranteed $ like the UA offers for the first 8 semesters. However, there is the additional expense as you mentioned. I like the suggestion posted in another thread about the possibility of crediting unused $ to credits for the additional semester in these cases. We are talking about 96 students each summer and an additional 96 each fall for upper division out of around 600 I believe who enter as freshmen with the declared major. We are very grateful for the scholarship $ she has been provided by the UA and are extremely pleased in her choice to attend the UA.</p>