Greek Life at Geneseo

<p>What is the Greek life like at Geneseo?
Do you have to be involved in greek life to be involved in the party scene on the school?
What percent of students are actually involved?</p>

<p>Greek life is a joke compared to other schools, but its prevalent here.</p>

<p>Since the accident last year, it is very hard to find an open party unless you are involved in greek life or are on a sports team.</p>

<p>I would say that a good percentage of students are involved, but not a ton. Mostly all the kids who like to go out on the weekends and have a good time are apart of a frat/sorority.</p>

<p>since freshmen can’t pledge until second semester, the best way to get into the parties are basically through knowing ppl then?</p>

<p>yup…that’s how I get through it…luckily i know a lot of people. I don’t want to be involved in greek life and I could play a sport, but I don’t have time because I’m trying to get a kick a$$ GPA for med school.</p>

<p>Sean…what year are u in? Do you like it so far? We are going to the school on April 1. My son was admitted. He will also be doing premed. He will play Rugby but does he need to join a frat too?</p>

<p>I am a freshman. I like it here, but its tough work. Especially as a bio major with a pre-med concentration. No, he should be fine as long as he plays rugby…his social life will be fine.</p>

<p>I am heading up to Geneseo on Wednesday…will be there for pre-view day on April 1…
we leave Friday…Im excited!</p>

<p>Have a great time GCmom415!!</p>

<p>Dear GCmom415,
Please tell your son that as a bio major doing premed, managing a 3.5+ GPA while taking physics, biology, and chemistry courses; having a social life; and playing rugby is going to be to be hard. The Biology professors are really hard to please; class exam averages tend to fall below a 65 for gen bio. Not to mention if your son is planning on medical school, he also needs to juggle medically related experience, which is extremely time consuming. I doubt that partying is going to be an option for him. Most fraternities are not national; so it seems illogical for your son to sacrifice his GPA for six weeks for one, considering his college goal. Enjoy your visit.</p>

<p>If you know how to manage your time, partying is feasible. Don’t be dramatic.</p>

<p>I have a 3.62 GPA as a 2nd semester freshman bio major.</p>

<p>I party most fri and sat nights unless i have an unusual amt. of work that week.</p>

<p>^ really? because judging from the averages i’ve seen in Hoops/Millitello’s class last year, and my friend’s class with Hannam this year, they’re doing a pretty good job of weeding the freshmen bio majors out.</p>

<p>Btw, freshman year is easy. You wouldn’t be a bio major doing premed if you weren’t getting at least a 3.5.</p>

<p>GCmom,</p>

<p>Hope you and your son enjoyed preview day! I’m a freshman undeclared major but I am on the rugby team so maybe you might be interested in what I can offer. If your son does play rugby, there is absolutely no need for him to join a frat. As a member of the team you get to know all of the guys pretty well and perhaps even better than potential frat brothers because you’re with them 2 hours every day for practice and then 4-5 for games. Joining the team was probably the best decision I made this first year here (I’m wrapping up my freshman year now), and I don’t regret it one bit. </p>

<p>On being premed; you can definitely do it and still pledge a greek group or play a sport. There aren’t that many bio majors on the team, but I do know of one senior graduating who’s going to West Virginia for med school next year, and a junior who scored a 39 on the MCAT while playing and acting as the team president. I also know of plenty of guys and girls who’ve kept up their GPAs through the 6 or so weeks of pledging. Additionally, your freshman and sophomore years will be most difficult. After that, you’ll finish most of your required, boring courses and start taking electives in your major and other required core classes, which aren’t that difficult.</p>

<p>On social life; if you’re not on a team or in a greek group, big parties are hard to get to. Some groups have opens in the first few weeks of school so their names get heard, but after that most parties are closed. If you’re not a huge partyer (like me), you’ll always find something to do if you’ve made good friends.</p>

<p>If anyone has any questions, feel free to respond or send me a message.</p>

<p>I have a question about the sororities on campus. I have heard that Geneseo’s greek life is not that of a typical college, in which ways is this?
Also, are their certain sororities that have certain reputations? Is there anyway that i can find out what makes each sorority unique before i get the opportunity to rush them?
Thanks to anyone in advanced that can answer my questions!</p>

<p>Hi Lauren -</p>

<p>The greek life here is unique because it doesn’t run the school - but it still has the prestige and respect that a lot of greek life has elsewhere. the school’s main focus is academics which is true of most of the organizations here. i’m currently a member of a national sorority here and it has been the best decision i’ve made so far. rush is stressful mainly because it typically spans over two weeks, where most schools it is only a few days. it’s a good stress though because it’s exciting and you are meeting so many new and wonderful people here. you can rush as a freshmen to get a feel for everything and go through the entire process, you just can’t be offered a bid/invitation until your second semester here. you’ll find that every group on campus has some reputation, but it shouldn’t be held against any organization. every group here is different and is filled with exciting and diverse people. there is also a minimum gpa for every sorority, the nationals tend to be higher but i really don’t know about local standards. it ranges between 2.25-2.75 for the three organizations. for each semester there is something called a round-robin which takes place in classrooms around campus. each organization makes a quick presentation about their ideals, values and standards. you definitely get a feel for the group and that can make your decision easier. the stigma of the typical sorority/frat girl or guy here can be found but its pretty rare. my organization is full of intelligent women that love to have a good time, but they are also the ones that close the library every night. also ask around on campus about groups, but don’t judge them before you meet the girls. every group is different and has something great to offer this campus, which is why some have been here for 125 years! don’t be afraid to ask questions about every group when/if you decide to rush. i know this reply is a little late since it was in may - but if you decided to come to geneseo then i hope you are loving it and you should definitely rush in the spring. organizations range from 10 girls to as big as 70. you’ll find the perfect fit and you’ll remember it as the best years of college, guaranteed.</p>